Avoid picking the wrong color with these five easy, sure-fire makeup steps!
Someone just sent this photo of Kourtney Kardashian over to me and, although she looks as beautiful as ever, one thing is really evident: she’s wearing the wrong color foundation. Yikes! Want to avoid this common makeup mistake? Read on!
This is not to pick on Kourtney at all, by the way. Everyone who wears makeup has made this mistake at one time or another and it can be particularly hard for women of color (see that weird grey cast to her skin? never a good look.) Here are five things you can do to make sure this never happens to you:
- Never use the back of your hand to match makeup to your face. Your hand and your face get different levels of sun and environmental exposure so they will rarely ever match properly. Use the side of your jawline for a more accurate pick.
- Apply multiple swatches of foundation to your jawline from light to dark so you can see the colors side by side.
- Never rely on department store lighting to make your decision. Always step outside with a mirror so you can see how the color will look in natural daylight.
- You’ll be able to tell which one looks best because it will literally disappear into your skin and the other swatches will be visible around it.
- Never forget to change your foundation color with the seasons. Your skin is darker in the summer and lighter in the winter. You MUST change your foundation/tinted moisturizer color so make sure that they match!
The best thing about foundation is that good formulas are available at all price points. Women of color, be sure to look at the new MAC + Mickey Contractor collection as well as the COVERGIRL Queen Collection and IMAN Cosmetics for great formulas that will make you look amazing!
What’s YOUR biggest foundation disaster? Let’s hear it!
Stay beautiful, BFFs!