Should 'Teen Mom' Jenelle's Mom Barbara Evans Really Have Custody of Baby Jace?

Wed, January 19, 2011 5:23pm EDT by 76 Comments

A family source tells HollywoodLife.com: ‘I’m afraid for the baby’s life.’

Teen Mom 2 cast member Jenelle Evans‘ history of arrests and mischief is well known already — and it’s resulted in her mother Barbara being given temporary custody of Jenelle’s 1-year-old son, Jace. But conversations with an Evans family source and a review of police records suggest that Barbara has had significant troubles of her own.

What’s more, her difficult relationship with her own children call into question her suitability to be Jace’s primary guardian.

“I’m afraid for the baby’s life that Barbara [has] a hold of this baby,” a family source with knowledge of the situation between Barbara, 57, and Jenelle, 19, tells HollyBaby.com exclusively. “Everybody thinks that she’s such a wonderful person because she’s trying to get the baby from Jenelle. People don’t know her. Just keep watching the show, the true Barbara will come out.”

Why did Jenelle give up custody?

On the MTV show, Barbara is shown constantly screaming  at Jenelle and trying to gain control of situations.

Barbara and ex-husband Robert were divorced over ten years ago, and we’re told that the relationship was turbulent. Once Barbara and Robert got divorced, she took the kids far away from the family and raised them on her own. And the three Evans children have all had brushes with the law.

Why Jenelle is worse than ‘Teen Mom’ Amber Portwood

As we were the first to tell you, Jenelle has a long arrest record for trespassing and marijuana possession. She’s run away from home and even been involuntarily committed to the hospital.

Both of Jenelle’s older siblings Ashleigh and Collin have had legal issues of their own — both involving their mother. Ashleigh, 22, was arrested on Sept. 26, 2006, for a Simple Physical Assault charge. “Subject was arrested after assaulting her mother,” the arrest report reads. “Ms. Evans reported that her daughter Ashleigh had assaulted her. Ms. Evans said Ashleigh has mental problems and has not been taking her medication. Ashleigh got out of control and assaulted Ms. Evans and her younger sister [Jenelle].”

Cute pics from Jace’s first birthday party

Collin, 21, was picked up on Mar. 3, 2007 and faced two charges of Injury to Personal Property and Injury to Real Property. “Upon receiving a report of a domestic disturbance, I arrived to find Barbara Evans and her son Collin arguing in the front yard,” states the incident report. “Ms. Evans stated that Mr. Evans had been in an altercation with her boyfriend and punched and kicked his truck. [He also] shattered the front glass storm door.” Collin was living in a “group home” at the time of the incident, according to the report.

“It sounds like this is incredibly dysfunctional and this kid’s got like a zero percent chance of normalcy in being raised by the grandmother,” family attorney Jeff Miller tells HollyBaby.com. “The mother, who got pregnant when she was a child, still is a child and doesn’t know what she’s doing and the grandmother doesn’t seem fit.”

“But, the ultimate overriding concern is what’s in the best interest of the child,” Jeff explains. “The court would have to look at the whole big picture: the mother, who is the mother of the child, and the grandmother and look at the whole situation, household — what’s going on there. It may be that the court finds that neither of them are fit [to raise Jace].”

- Lindsey DiMattina

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

hopeandlove

Posted at 11:24 PM on January 29, 2011

janelle doent need to have custody becuz in stead of going out with friends she sould have been hone tring to prove to her mom that she can take care of her son and tring to get a job and things like that so she can prove to her mom that she can take care of her kids and barbra looksd like a control freak cuz he daughter is out of control and she only wants the best for her jenelle is a bad mom

Brittney

Posted at 2:51 AM on January 29, 2011

Yeah i agree its janelle’s child. and her mom is such a physco. She like always eggs on janelle. By example changing him into sumthin different after janelle dresses him. its janelles kid! if that physco mom of hers wants another kid adopt or sumthin wow.

ray

Posted at 9:54 PM on January 28, 2011

The fact that Barbara has never lost custody of any of her children, and the fact that the father is absent makes her look better then she actually is.

Misty

Posted at 12:19 PM on January 28, 2011

The arrests and difficulty with Jennelle may be because of her strained relationship with her Mother. Parents who are overly-controlling have kids who rebel. I don’t understand how anyone finds Barbara to be a good Mother whatsoever. She does not allow her daughter to take her own son out alone. She is clearly using her position of power to control and take advantage of her daughter’s situation. I had a Mother like Barbara and I hope that someone helps Jennelle before she permanently loses custody of her son. There may never be a point that she can afford an attorney to get her son back. She is too young to make this kind of money. Her Mother should be supporting her.

Carla

Posted at 4:42 PM on January 27, 2011

I believe neither of them should have custody of the child. Jenelle can’t even take time for her baby. She cares more about her friends, to me. Barbara don’t need to, because she is a controlled freak. She yells at her. Since non of the kids turned out right. What makes anyone think she’ll do right with her grandson. Besides, she just pushes her daughter away from him constantly. How can you blame Jenelle for hating her mother. Would you hate your parent(s) if him or her or them try to get you to leave your own child alone? You can’t do right? Of course you would. We learn by experience. There are no perfect moms. However, you know right from wrong.

butros gali

Posted at 10:29 AM on February 9, 2011

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vespo

Posted at 2:59 PM on January 27, 2011

One is too controlling and the other too irresponsible to be a mother. That poor baby doesn’t deserve to be raised by neither of them.
But at least Jenelle’s mother took care of him while Jenelle was out partying.

april

Posted at 12:15 PM on January 26, 2011

“and” not “vad” lol and sorry about all the other typos too this is what happens when u nurse a baby while u type w one hand..

april

Posted at 12:13 PM on January 26, 2011

in the first season i thought janelle was a little out of control, not stepping up to her new reponsibilities– but it seem like her mom does not actually WANT her to succeed as a mother. She roadblocks janelle anytime she actually tries to be a good mother (like sam mention literally taking the baby right out of janelles hands) i think that barbera didnt succeed w her own children and doest want to let janelle either. And janelle just seems so depressed. Its starting to remind me of that movie ‘Flowers in the Attic':p and i cannot believe she wont let her take her child anywhere. What kind of a mother shows such a lack of concern for her childs emotional well being? i just cant imagine ever letting my need to ‘win’ take precedent over my daughter vad letting our relationship get that bad. And what a sad mark on our court system. This basically show everyone that if u have $ u can do whateer u want to someone who doesnt- including take custody of their children. I feel like janelle was legally bullied into signing the papers w NO legal representation whatsoever- how scary for young moms everywhere!

Misty

Posted at 12:25 PM on January 28, 2011

It’s insane that her daughter is paying child support. She is still a child herself, so her Mother should be paying for her well-being. She is not emancipated. She needs representation to sue her Mother and I agree that she is being bullied into signing the papers. I hope she looks at pro-bono lawyers or some kind person helps her out. I’m surprised an adult cannot see this in the situation and hasn’t volunteered. It happens on Jon & Kate. Why not help a teen succeed? It is indeed scary for young Mothers.

butros gali

Posted at 10:28 AM on February 9, 2011

I agree, her mother is a control freak. She is negative and is quite crazy herself and should not have custody of that baby. I wish Janelle had done the right thing and given him up for adoption. It is a tough thing to do but it would have been better than what he has to grow up with now. Have you seen the mother’s boyfriend? Hes not exactly a winner either. Janelle keeps on making bad decisions, mainly the guys she chooses to be around.

mk

Posted at 10:19 AM on March 20, 2011

i bet the court would have appointed an attorney to Janelle if she would have ever stepped up to the plate. Janelle knew her mom had the intell to keep Jace, plain and simple, so she gave up and makes excuses while out partying and smoking.

april

Posted at 12:01 PM on January 26, 2011

i completely agree with sam.

sam

Posted at 11:23 AM on January 26, 2011

jenelles mother is a control freak and will stop at nothing to control what her daughter does, apparently jenelle is surpose to be like furnature and never ever leave the house and never feed, bathe, or change her kid. Jenelle is a good mom she clearly maake sure the kid is taken care of before she leaves the house, she is not abusive to the child nor does she leave the child unattended, when she goes out the child is clearly put to bed and is left in her mothers care, it’s not like she leaves the child in an empty house hungry and filty. her mother is clearly the problem she is the one who starts the yelling first and when she gets the response she want out of jenelle she plays the victim. did any of you’ll see the episode where barbara litterally grabbed the child out of jenelles hand. jenelle was not allowed to feed or change the child and she never allowed the leave the house with her own kid.

Sherry

Posted at 11:15 AM on February 2, 2011

I watched the show for the first time a few weeks ago and I thought Janelle was to blame because I saw how she treated her mother. It was the episode where her mother served her with papers trying to get custody of her child. The next week I changed my mind. Her mother is mean and nasty to her and has probably been that way her whole life. Janelle is trying to do whats best for her son at this time because she cannot afford a good lawyer. I feel so sorry for her and I hope she gets her son off of her mother. Janelle still should be able to take her son out to the fireworks or to the park if she wants. Her mother shows her no love or kindness from what I have seen. She just wants to control her. Her mother is also alone and wants to yake Janelle’s son for herself. She is the one who is unfit. I wish Janelle the best of luck getting her child back where he belongs.

butros gali

Posted at 10:30 AM on February 9, 2011

Well said.

mk

Posted at 10:16 AM on March 20, 2011

Barbara looks to me as a mother who is fed up and trying to protect her grandson…come’on- Janelle is out smoking weed, running off to NJ with her loser bf on her mother’s credit cards! Barbara is doing “tough love” and has given Janelle many chances at moving back home and helping- but Janelle sits on her mother’s porch and gets high!!! My mother would have kicked my @$$ too! Barbara is in a tough spot, making the best decisions she can…that’s how i see it.

Bri

Posted at 11:33 AM on January 22, 2011

I dont think Barbara should have custody. Its kinda like Farrah’s situation. Jenelle wouldn’t be such a bad mother is her mother wasnt such a control freak. How is she suppose to learn how to be a good mother for Jace if her mother won’t even let her raise him!?

cassie

Posted at 5:11 PM on January 24, 2011

I agree I don’t think barb should be takin her daughter to court she is the grandmother let jenelle be a mother and make her own mistakes or she will never grow up

Posted at 4:09 PM on January 21, 2011

wow you dot know wher i am mom ?

Posted at 4:07 PM on January 21, 2011

you went know my age it ? 19

Posted at 4:06 PM on January 21, 2011

who went go fist too play gomes all mother out wher doing thais go too home me dot i am home with bella and x boyfriend back

Posted at 4:04 PM on January 21, 2011

i was hair that house is with not work and i am at a home so dot wher i am not with my son and my friend is go too gett him then she is go the baby dad and then go too me that what went too know wher need help would feel if Jace okay oh need work with kid name carmen he is nice kid Jace would be so neglected. Also, if Barbara gets Jace maybe Jace will grow up seeing who raised him and also see how his trashy, ungrateful mother turned out and he will not want to be like that! Janelle needs her butt put in her place!! After watching the show and seeing how she treated her mama omg!! She needs to put herself in her mother’s shoes and see how she would feel if Jace was

Posted at 3:57 PM on January 21, 2011

need stop it and i am go my son and you will keep my son name out of or teeth

Posted at 4:01 PM on January 21, 2011

stop it ? not one will see my son not who that who to the jose at need you beat someone ashely her friend

Posted at 3:55 PM on January 21, 2011

you will be beat not talk like that on thais

Posted at 3:54 PM on January 21, 2011

no you dot talk my son like that did thing it was mother

Posted at 3:52 PM on January 21, 2011

Barbara, dot like you keep it up

Posted at 3:51 PM on January 21, 2011

you keep it up not or who ever say i am jose will tell me

shand

Posted at 3:42 PM on January 21, 2011

he son

Posted at 3:41 PM on January 21, 2011

you have got too be with me mom and dot like that my son can see who ever but dot like you and get off my fcbook need new life not with or boyfriend not my son and if went me it will with my son sroyy but dot went me in or house and dot went too son daddy he will come see him think if he can he is in the baby dad bye tell me when can see my son is nice too me bye out of my life and have spring

maddie

Posted at 10:19 PM on January 20, 2011

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest

Posted at 2:47 PM on January 20, 2011

About Barbara. It’s not a coincidence that all of her children want to beat the stuffing out of her. She seems to enjoy pushing Jenelle’s buttons and getting a reaction out of her and then relishing her victim-hood. Not much to say about Jenelle that hasn’t been said. I wish she could clean up and get her act together because I don’t see much hope for the baby in Barbara’s custody either.

JENSPAL

Posted at 11:32 PM on January 19, 2011

Seen the show, I think the mother, Barbara, is an instigator (sp?) and neither of them are fit to raise that child. Barbara did a real bang up job raising her own 3 kids, what makes any judge think she will do much better with her grandchild?

Carmen

Posted at 9:13 AM on January 20, 2011

well Janelle needs to respect her mother because if it wasn’t for Barbara; Jace would be so neglected. Also, if Barbara gets Jace maybe Jace will grow up seeing who raised him and also see how his trashy, ungrateful mother turned out and he will not want to be like that! Janelle needs her butt put in her place!! After watching the show and seeing how she treated her mama omg!! She needs to put herself in her mother’s shoes and see how she would feel if Jace was older and talked and treated her like she does her mother!

maddie

Posted at 10:20 PM on January 20, 2011

i agre

Posted at 3:52 PM on January 21, 2011

my age is 19

Ashley

Posted at 8:58 PM on January 23, 2011

I agree, Carmen. If it weren’t for Barbara Jace would be totally neglected.. with all the numerous times his mom wanted to go out and be a teenager. And I think that Barbara has every right and excuse to be a little pissy, I would NEVER speak to my mom the way Jenelle speaks to hers. Much less get physical with her.