Lorena Says: Callie Steals Meredith's Pregnancy Thunder — Was This A Good Or Bad Surprise?

Fri, January 14, 2011 3:38am EDT by 12 Comments

Grey’s Anatomy brings in a soap opera-like twist, while leaving many Mer-Der fans disappointed

If I had to watch the Jan. 13 Grey’s Anatomy episode, “Start Me Up” again, I’d just skip to the final scene because it was that good. The rest of the episode was sub-par in my opinion, it felt like a filler episode in comparison to everything that happened last week. But let’s talk about that last scene!

Every storyline that’s any storyline in Grey‘s starts or ends in an elevator, and the Callie’s pregnant(!) storyline is no different. I mean I had already read the spoilers about it this week and I was still “Oh no she didn’t just drop that bomb!” Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) spent the entire episode berating Mark (Eric Dane) to find out her biggest flaw (bailing when things get tough) and when she finally apologized to Callie (Sara Ramirez) for leaving, and said she would be there no matter what, Callie just goes all “I’m pregnant with Mark’s baby” on her. Was it just me or were you expecting Callie to say “I forgive you” after her day with the (fabulous) gay newlyweds?

Other things of note:

• As a big Mer-Der (Ellen Pompeo/Patrick Dempsey) fan I felt slightly disappointed by Meredith’s 10 failed pregnancy tests. Can something exciting happen with this couple already? I don’t even feel like it’s as suspenseful as it should be, I don’t feel as invested as I should. What do you guys think?
  • It was interesting to see the gang battling it out for Chief Resident while doing a poor job of training the first year med students. So appropriate that Alex Karev (Justin Chambers) gets credit and a little something else on the side!
  • How ADORABLE was Miranda Bailey, played by the very talented Chandra Wilson, getting all dirty-notes-in-the-medical-chart frisky with a nurse?? Their relationship is so unexpected but feels so right. It’s great to see Bailey finally getting an exciting love life.
  • I expected more from Scott Foley‘s Henry and his marriage to Teddy (Kim Raver). It seems like the writers are setting something up there, but for now I’m not sensing any chemistry between the characters.
  • Favorite line of the night: “He’s the best thing that ever happened to me. I wanted it to feel like that, not like some trip to the DMV.” Loved that patient relationship!

What did YOU think of the latest episode of Grey’s?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

ronnie

Posted at 2:09 PM on February 23, 2011

i dont like that mark and callie are going to have a baby together but i’m happy that lexie broke up with mark because of that, she deserves better…

Chrisday

Posted at 12:40 AM on January 16, 2011

I’m pretty sure Callie knows how to practice safe sex. Its safe to assume that since she was in a lesbian relationship, she didn’t feel the need to take birth control pills… And there are such things as condoms… Which are not guaranteed to work all the time. And Merder fans don’t get your panties in a bunch, its okay to focus in other couples for a while, if Shonda only focussed on Merder and left other couples in the periphials, then the show might not be ending the seventh season, edging on the eighth. It probably wouldn’t have made it past the fifth. Most shows that have the “main couple” get married end soon after. So just relax, she probably has something waiting for them, they might even get most of the finale.

Always_CO

Posted at 11:53 PM on January 14, 2011

PS – Why do MerDer fans insist on the lack of storyline for the core couple. They spent four seasons – FOUR to get together and they did. And in S5 – they got married and now are so amazingly loving and mature from where they began…..And finally, are trying to make a beautiful mcbaby. I’m sorry but that is a real frackin’ storyline. It’s not always easy trying to have a baby and how that relationship works through it is really at least to me great to see and a frackin’ storyline.

Always_CO

Posted at 11:46 PM on January 14, 2011

I love that Callie is preggos with Mark’s baby – they’re best friends and newsflash Calzona fans (p.s. you need a new hybrid name), who says it’s the end of them. Personally, I don’t like them together. I think Callie deserves better. And yes, I feel for MerDer fans but – ladies and gents, it was day 10 in that epi. Loved the sweet CO moment though even it it was only 27 secs and LOVED, LOVED Cristina has her mojo back and has grown as a teacher.

Dawn

Posted at 11:32 AM on January 14, 2011

Grey’s Anatomy is my end of week diversion from a hectic night of teaching adults basic math that want to scream and yell and me. So my life does not evolve around this fictional characters and whatever storyline presented is fine as long as its slightly plausible and doesn’t make me want to demand wasted brain cells back.

Having said that, in the year 2010 when birth control is certainly an intelligent woman’s choice, why would Callie, a doctor, have unprotected sex with a man whore like Mark? This makes no sense to me. To create drama, the lesbians would have to have a heterosexual twist to keep the fan base interested? That plot line is so completely convuluted and lacking all kinds of common sense.

I get that Callie is angry at Arizona. But certainly, an arguement could be made for the lack of a quick reconciliation based on the deep emotional pain caused by Arizona’s arrogance and selfishness and these two characters could evolve as people.

But of course its television and who didn’t know that when Arizona dumped Callie she would go back to sleeping with Mark and get pregnant tying the incessant, “I want to have a baby” storyline with, “you always bail when things get tough,” with Lexie once again being the odd man out.

So great it will be one big incestuous family, since Mark is afterall like a “brother” to Arizona…whatever…back to grading papers.

mer fan

Posted at 10:15 AM on January 14, 2011

the question i wish shonda would answer is the following: why is she avoiding any real storyline for Meredith or MerDer this season? clearly they are the heroes of this show and the main center of it all specially Meredith. So can someone pls try to get an answer from Shonda Rhimes on why till now not one serious real storyline for Meredith or MerDer?? AND is she planning on simply phasing them out which is a big failure and the show will sink before she says one word, or will she dedicate season 8 their last season to them totally??

Lill

Posted at 8:30 AM on January 14, 2011

WHY did she have to be pregnant with MARK?! This just ruined GA for me.

MDfan

Posted at 7:08 AM on January 14, 2011

Once again MerDer fans are screwed. God forbid something great will happen to them or got something first. I am dissapointed.

Meredith, the lead character is barely there. Waste of Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo’s chemistry.

It’s such a shame, really.

Denny

Posted at 4:12 AM on January 14, 2011

It’s a shame that after 7 seasons Shonda Rhimes doesn’t realize what her fans want and need for this show to succeed.
How can she manage 4 shows if she cant keep on on the right track????

So many fans are invested in this show and its sinking bad and hard. She should concentrate on Ellen Pompeo as Meredith with major stories and on MerDer as an exciting couple with great story-lines.. if she reads fanfics she can get so many amazing ideas for stories for married couple and they are exciting too.

maddy

Posted at 4:07 AM on January 14, 2011

TOTALLY AGREE, SO DOES 70% OF THE SHOWS FANS. EVERYONE IS DISAPPOINTED AND SAD THE SHOW IS FAILING THEM.

Eye roll

Posted at 8:59 AM on January 14, 2011

You’ve conducted a poll where all the show’s fans voted and 70% of them are disappointed by Mer/Der’s failed pregnancy attempts?

Get real and get a life, maddy.

maddy

Posted at 10:12 AM on January 14, 2011

i didnt create any polls
and i do have a full happy eventful life thank you.
learn how to speak to people. you rude imbecile..