Lorena Says: Is Taylor Swift The New Jennifer Aniston?

Tue, January 11, 2011 11:59pm EDT by 17 Comments
Getty Images
Getty Images

Getty Images

Taylor’s starting to remind us of someone else we know and love as her reputation gets wrapped up in who she dates.

When I first heard about Taylor Swift and Jake Gyllenhaal‘s split, I instantly thought “I wonder what song she’s going to write about him now.” And I know I wasn’t the only one with Taylor’s next boy song on the brain. But how did we get to the point where we categorize a talented artist such as Taylor purely by her affinity for writing songs about her exes? And is it her fault she’s constantly defined by her love life, similarly to Jennifer Aniston?

The reason I first became a fan of Taylor’s music is because I related to her lyrics. It didn’t matter that I’m older than the 21-year-old, when she sang about being the girl who watches her crush date a cheerleader while she sits in the stands, I totally understood. (It helps that I was in the marching band and was always “just the friend” in high school — in case you were wondering).

My point is, girlfriend transcends age, gender, and social status with her music. But I’m worried that Taylor is pigeon-holing herself by constantly talking about her exes, and by centering her music around her past romances. I understand that she needs to draw from real-life experiences but she is in serious danger of being branded the “unlucky-in-love” singer who only writes about boys and defines herself by relationships.

Just like Taylor, Jen Aniston is another of America’s sweeethearts whose love life has over-shadowed her talented career. Instead of expressing her romantic endeavors in music like Taylor does, Jen has chosen movies that parallel her life. Being the kind-hearted and charming gal that she is, she’s had the good humor to poke fun at her movie choices. “It’s funny – I kind of noticed something a couple years ago that there seemed to be this strange parallel to the movies I was doing and my life off screen. It started with, well, The Good Girl,” she explained. “Then that evolved into Rumor Has It, followed by Derailed, and then there was The Break-Up. And then on the lighter side was Friends with Money, which I felt was a bit on the nose. So if any of you have a project titled Everlasting Love with an Adult, Stable Male…”

Jen has repeatedly ask that people not pity her, and said she didn’t agree with “this whole  poor, lonely Jen thing.” But whenever I read a story where Angelina Jolie talks about Brad Pitt as her soulmate, I instantly think of Jen and how awful that must be for her. But why is that? Why shouldn’t I think about all of the success Jen has had in her career, and not of the failed romances she’s left behind?

It seems like Jen has fallen into the “unlucky-in-love” label for so long she may not be able to get out, no matter how much we want her to and how much she denies she’s even in that category. And whether or not she gave Taylor advice on men at the People’s Choice Awards, one thing’s for sure — Taylor and Jen have more in common than just John Mayer.

Do YOU think Taylor is at risk for becoming the next Jen Aniston?

Lorena O’Neil

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Read More: Taylor Swift, It’s Time To Return To Your One True Love — Taylor Lautner!

REM

Posted at 10:50 AM on January 13, 2011

Are you out of your mind? Taylor is ten times more beautiful than Jennifer Anniston! There is no comparison.

Irene Aniston

Posted at 7:40 PM on October 25, 2011

They are both pretty but in my opinion, Jen is way sexier and funnier, plus way cuter, a little more better. but I’m not here to argue, so don’t bother. Remember- this is my opinion. Everyone has different opinions, and I’m not asking anyone to reply to this.

Chumba

Posted at 7:10 PM on January 12, 2011

Lorena Says: I’M OUT OF MY MIND!!!!! lol

This whole idea of comparing Taylor Swift to Jennifer Aniston is a crock! It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

angelchinky

Posted at 9:45 AM on January 12, 2011

no matter what Tay Swift’s fans say-it IS true that she IS being defined by her love life.if you say the first thought that popped into your mind when you heard her recent split wasn’t-i hope he knows there’s gonna be a song written about him now-you’re lying.you really are.

philvi

Posted at 1:26 AM on January 12, 2011

Taylor swift is getting better in evry song she writes.. shes really stunning and beautiful.. her songs are like her diaries that she wants to get her message to the one she dedicated the songs.. Goodluck to her new album speak now and her concert on manila this february, i hope i can come… id love too!! mwah!!

naive

Posted at 1:09 AM on January 12, 2011

Gees, Taylor Swift fans really think all she does is hold hands and kiss these MEN she is in RELATIONSHIPS with? Poor you. You really think 30 year old men go out with 21 year old girls for the intellectual conversations instead of to get laid??? LMAO. Continue believing Taylor Swift is a virgin as she keeps having relationship after relationship with sexually active men.

She is just like Jen Aniston in making money from her relationships. She does it with music, Jen with movies similar to her relationships. They are both needy women who have to be defined by the men in their lives. Pathetic.

Luis

Posted at 12:19 AM on January 12, 2011

C’mon, you serious?

Rach

Posted at 11:44 PM on January 11, 2011

come on! did you just compare aniston to taylor? wtf! Taylor dates guys, as if a regular 21 yr old doesn’t date. get real! she’s just an easy target cause she’s honest, real and famous. other girls dates 10x the number and they didn’t get slammed on it but on Taylor, wow she always in the wrong. Calm down!

louise77

Posted at 10:37 PM on January 11, 2011

Jennifer brought on the “pity me” stigma on her own. After the divorce she did all of those crying, “I’m so wounded” interviews. Then a couple of years ago she did another round of interviews bashing Angelina and sounding bitter which prolonged the “pity me” hold. The reason Taylor is getting the “unlucky in love” moniker is how vocal she is about her relationships. She probably doesn’t date anymore than the average girl but because all of her boyfriends are high profile and all of her songs are wounded, sad songs Taylor is setting herself up for ridicule.

fatchance

Posted at 1:03 AM on January 12, 2011

When did Jennifer Aniston bash Angelina Jolie? Do you mean when she called her “Uncool” for saying that “she couldn’t wait until the kids could see MAMS, so they can see when mommy and daddy fell in love”? Is that when you were talking about, because I don’t recall any other time when she bashed her. Unless you’re speaking of the same tabloids that write about how Jolie is on drugs, and in rehab. You’re ridiculous, this crap will forever be spoken about because of delusional people like you. If the witch had done that to me, you can bet your backside she would have gotten a beatdown, and that spineless man she’s with also.

paris hilton

Posted at 10:21 PM on January 11, 2011

Taylor is getting better known for the things she does on the mattress.. with Jake, John, Taylor, Cory, Adam Young, Joe and …

Jen

Posted at 11:40 PM on January 11, 2011

omg, she hasn’t dated adam lol and she went on dates, big deal? she do what a normal 21 yr olds do.

and if she dated a guy it doesn’t mean she sleeps with them…well i’m just sayin’ cause it seems that you know taylor really well

naive

Posted at 1:07 AM on January 12, 2011

Julia

Posted at 9:51 PM on January 11, 2011

Are you serious with this? Taylor is a normal 21 year old girl who is doing what any other girl her age is. She only gets picked on more because she is famous. If she was in college she would be doing the exact same thing which is dating boys. Some of these guys I am sure she probably went on a couple of dates with and didn’t even start a realtionship. What she is doing is NORMAL!

Jen

Posted at 11:41 PM on January 11, 2011

true that! this article is full of BS

Irene Aniston

Posted at 7:30 PM on October 25, 2011

Taylor is not copying Jen. They might have a lot in common, but it doesn’t mean that. ps: I am a fan of both, but I like Jen more, because she’s funny and sexy. Taylor is more of a cute girl.

fan of taylor

Posted at 9:44 PM on January 11, 2011

Gee lorena really i just dont see there comparison. Hey taylor 21 tell me what person between the ages of 16 to 23 dont date a lot really. For you to comapre jen anstion and taylor really i just dont see that.