Sarah Palin's Alaska Should NOT Be Cancelled — It's Great TV & Brilliant Marketing!

Mon, January 10, 2011 6:32pm EDT by 13 Comments

Palin may be taking hits after the tragic Tuscon shooting, but that’s no reason her original and highly entertaining reality show shouldn’t be put back on the air.

Whether you agree with Sarah Palin’s politics or not, if you watched the shows a religiously as I did, you had to hand it to Sarah — she made for gripping television.

The former Vice-Presidential candidate was impossible NOT to watch for multiple reasons. Number one, she IS gorgeous, so whether she was huddling in rain gear next to droopy Kate Gosselin, or in a pink sweatshirt in her Wasilla home, or gutting halibut in a fishline uniform — she looked non-stop magnetically beautiful. Especially when you consider she’s 46 and a mother of five.

Number two, she’s jaw-droppingly outrageous. Rosie O’Donnell couldn’t do her better. She managed to get a deadly swipe in at Michelle Obama‘s anti-obesity campaign, as she hunted for smores fixings. “Where are the smores ingredients? This is in honor of Michelle Obama, who said the other day we should not have dessert.”

On her last episode, she gleefully called wussy Kate Gosselin a “city mouse,” and she managed many times to guffaw over making liberals “wee wee!”

Number three, she stays on point, and every good television show delivers an enticing on point message. For  Modern Family, it’s the essential value of family, for American Idol, it’s that talent and hard work can take you to the top.

In  Sarah Palin’s Alaska, she managed to combine the two. She repeatedly spouted off about her love for her wonderful “Alaskan” family AND was pretty much a broken record endorsing the power of a strong work ethic as well as self reliance and personal independence.

The bottom line — no matter what your political beliefs — you can’t argue with the seductive appeal of the  traditional American values of family and independence. And really who wouldn’t want to have a  fabulous, loving extended family like the Palins, and who wouldn’t want to roll up their shirt sleeves and build success from the ground up, like Sarah and her husband Todd appear to have — that’s powerful TV.

Then there is Sarah Palin’s unique form of homey self-expression. Americans always fall for the down-home talk that Palin specializes in. I’m “flipping mad,” “‘it’s a big darn deal,” “you betcha,” are amongst her favorite expressions. Just listening to her, is entertaining.

Finally, Palin is surrounded by a full cast of characters that couldn’t be improved by Central Casting — kindly but gruff grandpa Chuck, handsome rugged dogsledder/fisherman/Mr. Mom Todd, adorable feisty daughter Piper and good girl gone bad gone good again, daughter Bristol.

I’m going to miss Sarah trying to shove her values down my throat while I’m wondering who the Lipstick Pitbull will bite each episode.

She’s young enough to keep us guessing about her Presidential ambitions for years, while teasing us on TV for at least another season or two.

–Bonnie Fuller

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Kallie

Posted at 8:00 AM on February 6, 2011

So glad.
I’m Alaska. the way she lives is NOT how us alaskans live. we dont take off in private planes in our backyards, that cost her about 20 grand to do. her show waspoorly made. like one episode she takes off in one plane and lands in another.
she put her family in danger. its a click it or ticket state we have a seatbelt law. palin let her family roam the moterhome with out seatbelts, but did she get in trouble? no because apaerntly shes above the effing law! she should have gotten a ticket, and one for every person in the vehicle under the age of 18. thats the LAW!

WORST SHOW EVER. real alaskan show – alaska state troopers.

suebonnet

Posted at 1:37 PM on January 13, 2011

Sarah Palin is an enemy of the Human race if you are not white, gun toting or Tea Party CRAZY. Putting her show back on the air though entertaining it may be to some is DANGEROUS. She is DANGEROUS. I guess you want her to pull some more CRAZIES out of the wood work so they can do TARGET PRATICE on the rest of the population of the good old USA!

Al

Posted at 10:21 PM on January 16, 2011

Dangerous in what way? Please specify, cause your generalities are just more muckraking.

Sophia

Posted at 5:41 PM on January 11, 2011

Show was NOT canceled. Palind only signed on for 8 episodes. I suspect SHE opted not to renew – at this time. IMO the show sucked…pretty much everything she did I can do in my lowly Midwest state…I can go west for majestic mountains. Alaska is a beatuiful state, but the other states are equally spectacular and deserve attention.

just my opinion

Posted at 2:20 PM on January 11, 2011

Meh, I am not an american so her political aspirations mean nothing to me. But I think this woman has been extremely “dumped on” by american media. People talk about her like she is the very spawn of satan. WHat the hell has she done wrong? So shes said some dumb stuff, go back and listen to george bush’s talks, that guy came off sounding like a complete idiot, and he got RE-elected! I for one find her homey and amusing, that doesnt mean I would elect her president of my country were she trying to become it. But thats just it, you don’t want her in office, don’t vote her in. But I wish people would stop trying to shred her apart from the core, especially when they attack her children, it’s so pathetic.

suebonnet

Posted at 1:38 PM on January 13, 2011

SHE INCITES HATE AND VIOLENCE!

all American

Posted at 2:20 PM on January 11, 2011

I like to be the first MALE responder, but I think the show was GREAT. It’s a shame she is so polarized. Get a grip and don’t be so jealous. She’s female success and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
Let’ keep politics out of this and enjoy the show….

WackyPalin

Posted at 9:14 AM on January 11, 2011

It was a horrible show. I tried watching it to see what the nutjob/windbag would do or say. It was too painful to even make it through the whole episode. It definitely deserved to be canceled – it didn’t deserve to be aired in the first place. She even joked about how she really could see Russia from Alaska twice during the show but the joke is still on her. The funny thing about her statement is not whether she can see Alaska or not. She was asked what job experience she had that could be used in making Russian policy. Just seeing the far Eastern tip of Russia doesn’t mean she understands the policy-making in the Kremlin. I can see my neighbor’s house from my house but I have no idea what they talk about inside their house or what their politics are. She is a buffoon!

Roslyn

Posted at 12:51 AM on January 11, 2011

Are you serious?? I can’t stand to listen to Palin’s voice let alone watch her on TV. Let’s hope the show is cancelled as it is as bad as her politics.

Darlene

Posted at 9:28 PM on January 10, 2011

Sarah Palin is a nut and we in Canada can’t believe that some Americans seriously think she could be the next President. Your country is already going down the toilet and this idiot would give it the fin al flush!!!

indylindy

Posted at 8:11 PM on January 10, 2011

Good Lord stop drinking the kool aid!! If you did an ounce of research you would realize Palin is NONE of the things she professes to be. She is a fake and a fraud. Good riddance!

Brandt

Posted at 7:41 PM on January 10, 2011

I’m much more interested in this woman taking responsibility for her over-the-top rhetoric than her ratings.

LazyCrib

Posted at 7:40 PM on January 10, 2011

It deserved every bit of its cancellation. Kudos to the programming directors who took it down!