We love Paula’s new show! (Nobody was more surprised than us!)
Look out Glee — Tuesdays may now belong to a clap-happy Paula Abdul. Just when we thought she was done with television, Paula takes the best of America’s Got Talent, SYTYCD and American Idol to find the greatest dancers in the world and give the eventual winner half a million dollars!
Most recently Paula’s been better recognized for her knack at being a kooky reality judge rather than her skills as an accomplished dancer and platinum selling recording artist. But now she joins fellow dancer Kimberly Wyatt and choreographer Travis Payne in their search for America’s top dancer and if the first episode is indicative of the season, we’ll be tuning in weekly!
Observations on tonight’s episode:
- The “Dance Dome” performance area is eerily similar to the Epcot Center at Disney
- The show’s host Andrew Günsberg gives us an idea of what would happen if Ricky Martin and Pee Wee Herman had a child. Just sayin’.
- In true Paula fashion, Live to Dance focuses on positive feedback. Even if you get voted off with two red stars from the judges, at least you got a star! The judging is constructive and nice, no Simon Cowells allowed! Performers who avoid elimination are given gold stars. It’s elementary school all over again.
- A favorite of the night was an older couple named Bev & Hap. Their memorable performance included dancing, moonwalking and getting down with their bad selfs. Fun fact: Bev is Beverly Polcyn, who played the elderly lady in a hilarious makeout scene on Not Another Teen Movie.
- Mega fan Stone Fleshman catered to Paula’s sense of pride by dancing to her Forever Your Girl and gave Miss Abdul a chance to jump on stage and gush all over him. Can we expect a lot more contestants to perform her hits this season?
So HollywoodLifers, does Paula have a TV hit on her hands, it appears so to us, but we want to know what you think! Sound off below!