MTV Special 'No Easy Decision' Was A Total Letdown & Completely Glossed Over Abortion

Wed, December 29, 2010 12:39am EST by 5 Comments

MTV aired their highly anticipated and controversial special documenting a couple who decides to terminate their pregnancy and I was completely disappointed.

MTV had the opportunity to do something different and this was their chance to really delve into the taboo subject of abortion, and in my opinion, they failed. I waited all day to watch the Dec. 28 “stand-alone special” of No Easy Decision, featuring Markai and James, who you might recognize from the second season of Sixteen and Pregnant, deal with the repercussions of failing to use contraception after the birth of their daughter Za’Karia.

Instead of going through a detailed and normal paced show, MTV decided to cram the life-changing decision of this couple into 15 minutes and spend the remaining portion discussing everything with Dr. Drew Pinsky.

The entire point of this special, was to take viewers into a place where either A) they could relate or B) learn something, and this could’ve been fulfilled by actually docmenting their struggle, and making the special into at least one hour. The episode felt completely rushed, it was highly edited, and at times seemed staged. One second Markai is fixing James’ dreads and discussing their options, and the next, she’s passed out on the bed saying she underwent her procedure.

I realize that due to the highly sensitive subject matter of the show, that MTV needed to be very careful and certain things weren’t suited for the cable network. But overall, I felt the episode was insensitive, and Dr. Drew’s Q&A didn’t make up for it at the end.

— Chloe Melas

Holly

Posted at 3:32 PM on December 29, 2010

Were we watching the same episode??? I completely disagree. I was incredibly skeptical that MTV could come up with a smart program that would actually do this topic justice, but they did! I was blown.away.

The amount of empathy for these girls is just incredible. And although I agree, i would have liked to see it be a longer episode. I never felt their emotions or decision was rushed at all.

Hope these women are supported by their families and hope MTV gets an award for this so they’ll create more shows like it.

Cupcake

Posted at 9:50 AM on December 29, 2010

Hi, I just got done watching the MTV Special, and I think MTV did a good job.
When you said, “One second Markai is fixing James’ dreads and discussing their options, and the next, she’s passed out on the bed saying she underwent her procedure.” – that was very untrue. She went to a friends after fixing James’ dreads and further discussed the option of abortion by calling a clinic and educating herself more on the topic. And during the call she was in tears… I think MTV did a good job going back and re-living the difficult decision they had to make and what lead them to their final choice.

Cat

Posted at 5:56 AM on December 29, 2010

I thought the special was well done. As the other comment says, if they had spent longer on this, they probably would have been accused of being exploitative. They got the point across, imo.

Gea

Posted at 12:52 AM on December 29, 2010

I don’t agree with this review at all ;(
I’m actually pleased with the way MTV presented the issue and happy they didn’t overdo anything and tabloidify it.
It didn’t choose sides and did a good job of fitting things in the time the show was on.
i like how they pushed education on birth control and how it even just talked about the subject because no one ever does on tv.

Chloe Melas

Posted at 1:09 AM on December 29, 2010

I definitely liked that aspect of it. I just wish the episode had been longer, it was not long enough for such a deep and emotional issue, it’s just my opinion.