Needing 51 votes to be repealed, the Senate votes 65 to 31 to end the practice after an almost 20 year struggle!
After 17 years of highly heated debate, the Senate voted today to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” a bill prohibiting openly gay Americans from serving in the military. The bill will now be passed on to President Obama to be signed into law and will take effect after some initial procedural steps are taken. See what some celebs had to say!
- President Obama: By ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” no longer will patriotic Americans be asked to live a lie in order to serve the country they love.
- Lady Gaga: Can’t hold back the tears+pride. We did it!i Our voice was heard + today the Senate REPEALED DADT. A triumph for equality after 17 YEARS.
- Pink: Congrats to US!!! REPEAL of DADT and 17 years of allowing Human Rights Violations. Maybe there is hope after all ;’)
- Katy Perry: SUPPORTING ALL OUR TROOPS! RT @Pink: Congrats 2 US!!! REPEAL of DADT & 17 years of allowing Human Rights Violations. There’s hope after all!
- Nicky Hilton: Thrilled to hear Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell has been repealed. Refreshing to see good news in the paper for a change.
- Adam Shankman: Don’t ask don’t tell repealed!!! This a great Xmas!
- Tom Collichio: DADT is over, equality in war next is equality for marriage