Dakota Fanning Spends 'Breaking Dawn' Downtime At Barnes & Noble! Exclusive!

Fri, December 17, 2010 4:47pm EDT by 6 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

We all know Dakota is a smart girl, but now she’s proving it by reading instead of partying with the ‘Breaking Dawn’ cast!

Dakota Fanning has her nose in the books!  HollywoodLife.com spoke to a source who literally bumped into the 16-year-old actress at the Barnes & Noble in Perkins Rowe, La., where she’s filming Breaking Dawn.

“It was nighttime, and she was just in there being super low-key, walking around carrying some books,” our source tells us. “I had to do a total double take to realize it was her.”

Dakota,who plays Jane in the Twilight saga, once told Teen Vogue that she read all four of the series’ books in one week — it’s no wonder she spends her free time in bookstores!

Side note: her co-star Robert Pattinson has been spotted at the very same bookstore. It appears the cast has two bookworms!

— Chloe Melas

Anna G

Posted at 9:53 PM on December 17, 2010

This is news? Reading a book? Seriously? Wow.

I agree with Ally. Dakota likes to read and she may be intelligent, but reading only gives you facts. This doesn’t mean you are smart. As the saying goes, all because you have bricks doesn’t mean you can build a house.

joyce

Posted at 8:11 PM on December 17, 2010

This young girl shows an above intellegence for such an age, and always has. I would encourage her to join Mensa, they help guide young people to higher education, which she has already said she wanted to follow.
For myself I would like to meet her parents, must be amazing people.

Mel M

Posted at 10:52 PM on December 17, 2010

“…amazing people”

Yes, her parents came to California and stayed so that Dakota could have a chance. They’ve seen Dakota’s ability and seem to have trusted her. Even as a kid, they let Dakota handle her own interviews and I’ve never seen her bite on an unfair question and cause herself trouble for, perhaps, years in the future. I think her parents are doing the right thing by staying in the background. It is, however, difficult to know what their role has actually been. It’s hard to be sure, but I have the impression that Dakota has made a lot of her own career decisions (with the help, I would think, of her parents and management team). Someday, I hope that Dakota will write a book about these early years. What a remarkable life she’s had in only 10 years! At 6, she wanted to be a movie star; by 7, she was one.

It would be interesting if we could know (maybe in about a year from now) what Dakota plans to study in college and how she relates that to her career. Unlike, Jodie Foster and Natalie Portman, Dakota has said she wants to make movies while in college. I’m OK with that, but I would think it’ll be hard to film other than during summer breaks since college was (for me anyway) lots of work–far more than high school. Anyway, 4 years with no Dakota movies would be tough.

ally

Posted at 6:15 PM on December 17, 2010

I’m not saying that Dokata isn’t smart, but you make it seem like only smart people read books or in order to prove your smart, you read.

Mel M

Posted at 10:07 PM on December 17, 2010

I’m one who has enyoyed Dakota’s precociousness very much, and I’m very happy to see her being consistent with her past. She’s very intelligent; therefore, she reads books. (There are also millions of not-so-smart people who read books.) On your sleazy insult, I’ll pass. I’ve planned to watch a movie this evening, but I’ll read tomorrow (to get smarter, of course).

Mel M

Posted at 6:01 PM on December 17, 2010

Love it; makes my day!

Remember the “Friends” episode on YouTube?
Joie: “How did you get to be so smart?”
Mackenzie (Dokata): “I read a lot.”

Way to go Dakota! I mean it; Dakota’s extra intelligence is what I noticed first about her. Even though her screen personas are unique to each role, in a number of cases, it was the intelligence of the character that made for an extraordinary and memorable performance.