LAURA'S LOVE LIFE ADVICE: Unlike Scarlett & Ryan, Should You Give A Marriage More Than 2 Years To Make It Work?

Wed, December 15, 2010 11:19am EDT by 7 Comments

Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds are calling it quits just two years after tying the knot. Did they give their marriage a fair shot?

Although it seems as if the genetically blessed duo of Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds should just be settling into married life after saying ‘I do’ two years ago, instead, they’ve announced their separation. Should they have tried harder to make their marriage work?

Let me say this straight away: I have never been married. I do not know the particulars of what occurs behind closed doors in a relationship where both partners wear a ring. But I do know this: everything in life worth having takes work and time.

Ryan and Scarlett may have rushed getting engaged — doing so after only a year of dating — and it appears that they’re employing a similar haste in ending their marriage. Two years is NOT an eternity.

However, word on the street is that Scarlett wanted out, and has for awhile. Plus, who can forget how she barely remembered to thank her hubby (who happens to be one of the most lusted after men in the world, PS) when she won her Tony in June?

Do I think they should have given their marriage more time to work? Absolutely. But do I think being completely unhappy in a relationship is OK? No, I do not. Two years is a long time to be miserable.

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Should Scarlett and Ryan have tried harder to make it work?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Don’t Miss Out- There’s More at Fox News Entertainment!

1. Before They Were Famous
  2. Mark Wahlberg Strips Down for Sports Illustrated Cover
  3. Really Young Celebrity Brides

Givenchy Bags

Posted at 11:00 AM on July 5, 2013

There are many ways to measure a city, none of them scientific or statistical.

just my opinion

Posted at 11:53 AM on December 16, 2010

I have been married for 5 1/2 years and the first few were for sure the hardest. Marriage takes work..constant work on BOTH partners sides.

Melanie

Posted at 10:00 AM on December 16, 2010

Hmmm, so Ryan is available again?!. Watch out!!
Sucks their marriage didn’t work out though.

Lacus

Posted at 8:54 AM on December 16, 2010

they should have dated a year or something before getting married. of course there are some people who say that they’re in love with each other but once they get married, it all falls down.

Brat

Posted at 11:28 PM on December 15, 2010

I think they didn’t take the time to date. While dating they should have realized that we work a lot and don’t spend a lot of time together. Did they think once they have a marriage license suddenly it would get easier? You get out of it what you put in it. If you put work before your relationship, then marriage is probably not the best thing until you WANT to change your priorities. Wanting to work is not a bad thing but know who you are and what your not willing to give up and make sure your partner is on the same page.

LittleMo

Posted at 1:44 PM on December 15, 2010

It seems like a lot – NOT ALL – but a lot of young people today are in love with the wedding and completely forget that the life and the marriage that comes after that takes work, time, patience, and wanting to endure. It is a hell of a lot more than the romance and the engagement and it doesn’t just flow like water. It seems like people want their relationships to be something that requires no work or effort at all and no successful relationship, whether it’s a marriage, a business partnership, etc. will ever succeed unless there is a conscious effort on the part of both people involved.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the person who said marriage for famous, rich, good-looking people is impossible. Look at Paul Newman and JoAnne Woodward as an example of Hollywood couples who have made it.

disco

Posted at 11:40 AM on December 15, 2010

Look if I was famous, attractive and RICH, I would avoid marriage like the plague. It would be impossible to maintain and determine if its ‘real’. The basis of my marriage is that we are connected and supportive of each other….it would be near impossible as a movie star, IMO.