This Mother Still Breastfeeds Her Six-Year Old Son! Is That Great or Gross? Vote!

Fri, December 10, 2010 10:00am EDT by 9 Comments

Amanda Hurst has incited a major debate in the Mommy community because she breastfeeds both her five-month-old son and her six-year-old son at the same time. We’re shocked!

According to The Daily Mail, when it comes to feeding to her two young sons breakfast, 29-year-old English mother Amanda Hurst does it her way: She forgoes cereal and gives them both breast milk. The controversial part of this story, however, is that while her son, William, is five months old, her other son, Jonathan, is six years old. Sometimes, she feeds them both at the same time. Jonathan even has a special name for his mother’s breast milk, “Lellow.”

Needless to say, Hurst’s decision is causing a lot of debate among moms, both in England and here in the States.

Jenna Elfman’s breast milk saved a drug addicted baby

“I know some people think it’s strange,” Amanda, who resides in the sleep English village of Hemingfeld, says. “But I think it’s perfectly natural. He’s doing it less and less and it’s only a morning thing. I’m feeding William, Daddy’s gone to work and it’s cold, so I don’t want to get out of bed. I’ve only tandem fed them five or six times as it’s difficult. Jonathan has to lie alongside me and prop himself up.” Sounds like she’s being a little selfish and lazy.

She goes on, “I do question the decisions I make and wonder whether I’m right or wrong. But it’s parenting, there is no manual, I don’t think there is a right way. I wouldn’t say to someone that I think breast is best unless they asked me why I was breastfeeding. Everyone has the right to make decisions for themselves.”

Do breast firming creams really work? We asked the experts!

We understand her point, but on the other side of the coin, there are moms who think there is something disturbing about a kid who can walk and talk and play baseball — a boy who can demand his own “lellow”–suckling on his mother’s breast.

So what do you think, HollyMoms?

–Alison Prato

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Steve McPhail

Posted at 3:10 PM on December 30, 2010

As a VERY strong supporter of extended breastfeeding; I honestly feel that Amanda Hurst has every right to continue breastfeeding her 6 year old son Johnathan. Besides, What business is it of anyone else’s as to how long Johnathan should continue breastfeeding? Who cares if he’s beyond the breastfeeding age? If Amanda wishes to continue breastfeed Johnathan then I wouldn’t interfere. I’m sure that Johnathan will eventually wean from his mother’s breast when he’s good and ready. Until then, Amanda Hurst ”SHOULD” be allowed to continue breastfeeding her
6 year old son, Johnathan. If Johnathan enjoys nursing on his mother’s breast then he should be allowed to continue his bonding/breastfeeding relationship for as long as feels the need to do so. Amanda, Don’t worry about what other people are saying or thinking; you just do what you feel is right. If Johnathan wants to continue breastfeeding; then he has every right to do so!! Amanda, I’m sure Johnathan will let you know when he’s finally ready to be weaned off of your breast. Until then… Johnathan, KEEP BREASTFEEDING!!

Alana

Posted at 8:23 PM on December 20, 2010

Yes there are lots of benefits to breatmilk but pump it. I’m sorry that’s nasty to have a 6 year old sucking on your breast. Pump the milk put it in the fridge or a cup.

Todd

Posted at 1:03 PM on December 18, 2010

Oh who cares? Who are we to judge? It’s none of our business and it is not harming the child. He just may be a little bit embarrassed when he’s older because he’ll remember it. As long as the kids are happy and are treated properly someone’s way of parenting really is no one’s business but their own!

Kim

Posted at 10:47 AM on December 18, 2010

The world health organization supports this YET I do not know ONE Doctor or study that indicates breast milk provides any benefits in terms of nutrients for a GROWING CHILD.

parents who breast feed their ONCE baby after the age of 12 months are simply looking to be controversial they WANT attention so badly they don’t care if is negative and people are repulsed by their poor parenting skills

the claim about no parenting manual only demonstrates the how insanely pathetic this women, and all women who breastfeed their children after 12 months, are for attention.

Ignorance is NOT bliss when parenting although some parents choose to remain there because they ignorantly use their freedom to make their own decisions AT EXPENSE of their very own children.

Babe

Posted at 8:31 PM on December 18, 2010

Kim, I think you must research all the facts about the benefits of breastfeeding before you make such a wrong and biased statement. Check out websites like LLL.org, kellymom.com or bestforbabes.com so that you can educate yourself about the topic.

Babe

Posted at 10:28 AM on December 15, 2010

I’m amazed at how ignorant people are about the multiple benefits of breastfeeding. The World Health Organization supports breastfeeding babies and toddlers, well into their 5, 6 or 7 birthday. Sadly, we’ve become a society that puts woman’s needs before what is best for the baby.

Christine

Posted at 5:30 PM on December 14, 2010

This is just toooo disturbing!!!!! A 6 year old should never breastfeed unless in a 3rd world country. She is being lazy “its just to cold in the morning!”

Betty

Posted at 11:26 PM on December 14, 2010

Oh shut up. Who are you to judge.. as well as the author? And Alison Prato- don’t try to soften your biased criticisms and judgments with “we understand, BUT…”

The survey sums it up well… 1 in 10 women go the “all natural” route…

Darknlovely0521

Posted at 4:30 PM on December 16, 2010

A 5,6, or 7 year old has no business breastfeeding! Now if she wants him to continue to have breast milk that’s a whole other story! Pump it and put it in a cup!!!! What’s so hard about doing that!! I wouldn’t care if it was 2 degrees outside, get up get the boy a cup of milk and get back in the bed REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!