LAURA'S LOVE LIFE ADVICE: Is It Unhealthy To Carry A Torch For Your Ex Like Jen Has For Brad All These Years?

Wed, December 8, 2010 11:49am EDT by 12 Comments
Getty Images

Jennifer Aniston just can’t seem to get over Brad Pitt! But is she hurting herself by continuing to love him?

Tell me that you haven’t had a hard time getting over someone you’ve really loved and I’m going to call you a liar. It’s not called a breakup because it’s easy. But is it healthy for Jennifer Aniston to still pine for ex-husband Brad Pitt five years after their divorce?

According to a new report, Jen spilled all to new bestie Chelsea Handler over Thanksgiving vacation in Mexico. “Jen couldn’t stop talking about all her painful memories,” the story says. “She suddenly broke down and told Chelsea, ‘I can’t stop loving Brad!'”

It’s true that Jen, now 41, hasn’t managed to maintain a serious relationship with a man since she and Brad divorced in 2005. Although he immediately moved on with current partner Angelina Jolie, the former Friends star had a serious of romantic flops with party boys Vince Vaughn and John Mayer.

Despite all the BS you may read about Jen and Brad potentially reuniting, we all know it isn’t going to happen. He’s in love with Angelina and so he shall remain — until he finds someone new. But it’s very rare for a man to go back to an ex — once he’s through with you, he’s all about moving forward.

Do I think it’s unhealthy for Jen to yearn for her ex? Yes! She loves someone who will never return her feelings again and she’s stuck in the past. Does my heart go out to her? Of course…but I wish she would move on.

And yes, I know some people can’t let go. Sometimes the one that got away IS the big love of your life. However, I’m also a firm believer that you can’t really get out of your rut if you’re holding on to someone that you should have let go. Jen needs to accept that Brad isn’t coming back — and she needs to find someone who loves her as she deserves to be loved. Don’t we all deserve that?

Have you ever had a hard time getting over your ex, HollywoodLifers? How long did it take you? How did you manage to get over him? Tell me your story below!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Stacey

Posted at 10:10 PM on December 8, 2010

I worked on Mr and Mrs Smith and saw the whole Brad/Angie romance right in front of my eyes. Angie seduced Brad day after day like she was on a mission to snag him away from jennifer and Brad gave in to the temptation even though he was happily married. Brad also got close to Maddox who was little at the time by buying him gifts and spending time with him as Angie happily looked on. As I was observing this I kept saying to myself where is Jennifer and does she have any idea what is going on here? Having worked with Jennifer too she is one of the warmest woman I have ever met and generous/incredibly fun too.

Has Jennifer moved on, who knows? She was with Brad for almost 7 years and I know if I was with someone for that long I would think about them everyday, how can you not… I have heard through sources that she talks to Brad once in a while and he secretly sends flowers up to her house..

Issabelita

Posted at 10:39 AM on March 21, 2011

Some couples have been married for 35 years (like my friend whose husband left her for a younger woman) and that is a lot more years than 7 years and yet, the woman was able to move on with her life. She does not maintain any friendship with her ex-hubby who has also moved on.
Jennifer Aniston is soooooo dumb and stupid. She keeps on hoping that one day maybe Brad might go back to her.
Brad upgraded to Angie no way is he going to downgrade to JA. Angie & Jen had pasts but there is no comparison to the two of women of who they are TODAY. JA is a woman of NO SUBSTANCE.

louise77

Posted at 7:21 PM on December 8, 2010

It’s bizarre that people are rewriting history. For at least a year before shooting Mr. and Mrs. Smith there were constant rumors that they were breaking up. Both Brad and Jennifer said they had problems for a long time. Also Jennifer wasn’t as broken hearted as she pretended to be. She started dating Vince Vaughn a few months after announcing their divorce. Kind of hypocritical to attack Brad for moving on so quickly when Jennifer did too at almost at the same time.

ANONYMOUS

Posted at 6:06 PM on December 8, 2010

Personally I belive Brad Pitt talks to Jennifer Aniston secretly, probably on a cell phone Angie knows nothing about, giving Jen mixed signals he tells her one thing then you see him out with Angelina like she is his one and only, that tirade and rant by Chelsea Handler is to root him out, there is more going on behind the scenes than we know.

Angela

Posted at 7:27 PM on December 8, 2010

you have a problem!!! LOL

FD

Posted at 5:20 PM on December 8, 2010

She isn’t over Brad. She probably couldn’t believe that a guy chased her to begin with, and not just ANY guy, but one of Hollywood’s most famous and sought-after guys. Now, she’s waiting for it to happen again. She wants to be chased like she was the first time. Now, who did Jen date BEFORE Brad? Adam Duritz, Tate Donovan, and Paul Rudd. Not exactly catches. She got what she was, average. Brad totally was above her station and she was probably in denial for a long time that he could actually like her. And that’s why her relationships now don’t work. She meets these guys but they’re not what she wants. She no longer wants average; she wants another handsome super-famous guy to sweep her off her feet. Sorry, but lightning doesn’t strike twice, Jennifer. Go date a drummer.

lolanyc

Posted at 4:40 PM on December 8, 2010

I hate you laura.

who said she still loves brad?

And havent YOU ever been dumped??? Go crawl up angies ass will ya.

Brat

Posted at 3:59 PM on December 8, 2010

So Jen spilled her deepest darkest secrets and painful memories with someone she just met this year. Yeah OK. Who would do that?
For me, and probably for most, secrets are earned and not just over a glass of margarita.

Hasbeen Aniston

Posted at 3:41 PM on December 8, 2010

She’s pathetic. Any woman who repeatedly makes a fool of hersslf over men the way she does (John Mayer, Exhibit A) is pathetic. Her “friendship’ with the classless, utterly repulsive, welfare-class, DOG-FACED MANdler is further proof that she is one sad mess.

Holly

Posted at 2:20 PM on December 8, 2010

No one really knows what was happening in their marriage before he did the movie with her. And let her pine all she wants. I think it might be a different story if they had divorced and he had been single for a little bit. But he went straight to Angelina. Only those three knows what really happened. And Angelina is a home wrecker. She may not have been with him while Brad was still with Jen, but the minute he said I’m gone, she was on him, literally. She is like her father. A cheater. But also, you can’t help what your heart wants. I just think they should have waited a little bit of time.

Rocky

Posted at 1:18 PM on December 8, 2010

It’s so unair and useless to accuse someone else for your failure. I think the marriage was over long before he met Angelina Jolie. If he hadn’t met Angelina he would have met someone else. Jen is all about me, me, the poor little puppy dog. I wou8ld never give anyone that much power over me.
Why is she blaming Angelina for her marriage break up, Brad is the one who betrayed her, why would she want him back. Be happy he’s finally happy and try and I would find someone to make me happy, she just has to let herself be happy in love.

Leave people alone, the more she express her feeling to people and publicize it the more INLOVE Brad becomes with Angelina.

Another thing, why do women always blame a woman when the man she was married to betrayed her.

Jen you are a cute girl, but you’re stuck in the mud. Brad doesn’t want you. You had problems long before a Angelina Jolie.

ycn1951

Posted at 11:01 AM on December 15, 2010

Are you kidding saying that Jennifer Anniston had problems what about Angelina, she started seeing Billy bob when he was engaged to Laura Dern. She is used to other womens men and kissing her brother like she did oh what a fool Brad Pitt is. Angelina would probably go after Johnny Depp if she didnt have all those kids. Anyway I think Jennifer Anniston and George Clooney would have made a much better looking couple. Brad you got what you deserved Angelina who probably wants Johnny Depp.