Baby Dies After His Aunt Gives Him Cough Medicine. What A Horrifying Story!

Mon, December 6, 2010 2:36pm EDT by 6 Comments

This is tragic. The boy’s aunt, Patricia, didn’t realize that you should never give any kind of decongestant to a child under two years old. Did you know that it’s toxic to tots?

A four-month-old Brooklyn boy died Thursday (December 2) after his aunt gave him over-the-counter cough medicine to help with his chest congestion. Daniel Richardson stopped breathing after his aunt, a woman only identified as Patricia, gave him some Robitussin. Paramedics rushed little Daniel to the hospital, but it was too late. Patricia, who was not charged with a crime, tearfully told the New York Daily News, “I can’t believe this happened. I didn’t do anything wrong. I gave the baby medicine.”

Read about how one of the Teen Moms almost lost her own child because she was high!

What Patricia didn’t realize is that you should never give any kind of medicine to an infant, no matter what. “Never,” Dr. Peter Waldstein, a pediatrician in Los Angeles, tells HollyBaby.com. “It’s too strong. If a baby is congested, use a humidifier. But unless there is an infection and you need to administer antibiotics, you should never give any kind of medicine to an infant. Ever.”

Can you believe that a mother would give her 2-year-old marijuana?

In 2007, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned parents not to give over-the-counter cold medicine to children younger than 2 without first asking a doctor, and it is clearly stated on the cough medicine’s label that it should not be given to very young children. There are currently no over-the-counter cough medicines on the market in the U.S. that are suitable for children younger than two.

-Roger Singer

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Leave a Reply

To comment, please fill in the fields below, enter your comment and select the Comment button.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

View Comment

kat

Posted at 6:48 PM on September 20, 2012  

In the UK, we have calpol for babies upwards from 6 months, but I do not know the situation for other countries. To the person who said you shouldn’t give medication to children under 2, my brothers are asthmatic and have had to be on medication to stop them constantly wheezing since before there 2nd birthday. I hope the child rests in peace. I think the aunt simply did not know, and maybe the parents didn’t realize he as ill

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Rachel

Posted at 3:50 PM on May 24, 2011  

Umm… ok, so how did she decide how much of the stuff she was going to give to the baby? You have to read the bottle to know how many mls to take even for yourself and it would have said right on there that it wasn’t for children under a certain age. In Canada they don’t want you giving it to children under 6. Its just ridiculous that she wouldn’t have read the label before giving a BABY any kind of medicine no matter what it was. She probably read it and then gave it to the baby anyways thinking that it would be fine.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

rebecca

Posted at 8:53 AM on December 17, 2010  

I’m sure the pharmaceutical company will be sued anyway, even though they made it blatantly clear that you aren’t supposed to give Robitussin to infants…

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Barbs

Posted at 11:37 AM on December 24, 2010  

Rebecca,

You’re a judgmental one, aren’t you? This was tragic for the aunt, the child, the parents, and everyone else involved.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Annie

Posted at 2:59 AM on December 15, 2010  

May that precious child rest in peace. He’s a little angel now.

I’ve never had kids before and I honestly didn’t know this and I’m so glad I read about this just in case I ever babysit a relative’s or friend’s child.

I also feel so sorry for the Auntie who probably loved this little boy and just wanted to ease his cough. The parents should have better educated her – ESPECIALLY KNOWING THEIR CHILD WAS SICK – about what to do and what not to do.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Brooke Leis

Posted at 8:57 PM on December 13, 2010  

This is sad. I feel sorry for the baby and everyone who lost him.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,694 other followers