Poor Kourtney didn’t know that it’s not safe for a baby to eat peanut butter. She had to learn the hard way! “Most pediatricians would not want an 11-month-old to be exposed to peanut butter,” a pediatrician tells HollyBaby.com.
Uh-oh! Kourtney Kardashian did a mommy no-no. The 31-year-old reality star mother let her 11-old-son Mason Dash Disick have a bite of peanut butter, which led to him being rushed to the hospital on Friday (Nov. 19)! Experts say this wasn’t a smart move on Kourtney’s and that Mason shouldn’t have tried any peanut products at least for another year or so.
“We actually don’t recommend children to have peanut butter until the age of 2 for this very reason,” pediatric M.D. Joanna Dolgoff, author of Red Light, Green Light, Eat Right, tells HollyBaby.com. “If you are allergic, you’ll have a reaction. But also, if you give a child that young peanut butter, you can actually cause a food allergy to develop because the intestines are not developed enough. So when they’re exposed to something that can be so allergenic, it can actually make an allergy.”
The result can be so serious that “it can cause anaphylaxis and death,” explains Dr. Dolgoff. “Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that starts to affect the airway. Your airway gets swollen and you can’t breathe. Then you can go into anaphylactic shock, which is when your body is not working well. Your blood pressure drops and then, death.”
Here’s what most likely gave Kourtney an indication that something was wrong with Mason: “The first few symptoms would possibly be a rash and some tongue swelling. The rash can be anywhere.”
But once the paramedics treated Mason, he was OK, thank goodness. “They give steroids and antihistamines,” says Dr. Dolgoff. “They can’t get the peanut butter out of the system, but tthey can decrease the reaction.”
So HollyMoms, take note of what we have learned from Kourtney and Mason’s health scare. Don’t give your tots peanut butter or any peanut-related products until at least the age of 2!