Jill Zarin Fights Against Bullying: 'No One Should Be Afraid In The Classroom!'

Tue, November 9, 2010 1:41pm EST by 6 Comments
Getty Images (2)

Getty Images (2)

Jill is determined to make the world safer for today’s youth and her fellow Real Housewives have her back!

The Real Housewives of New York City – Alex McCord, Ramona Singer, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps and Kelly Bensimon — are joining co-star Jill Zarin in the fight against bullying. The women attended a luncheon and fashion show, hosted by Jill, to raise funds and support various anti-bullying projects (sponsored by Ricki Freeman’s Teri Jon clothing line) on Nov. 8.

“No one should be bullied for any reason, and no one should ever have to be afraid or intimidated in the classroom or in their life because of their sexual orientation or gender identity,” says Jill, who partnered with the NOH8 campaign in August to fight for marriage equality and anti-discrimination.

“The self-esteem issues that kids and teens experience often stay with them for life, and in some tragic cases, cause them to end it,” adds Alex. “I was one of the lucky ones that never had bullying problems, but there are many adolescents who do. While Simon’s and my 5- and 7-year-old sons have special computer classes and socialization exercises in school, today’s teens didn’t get that experience from a young age. Most young adults grew up with the internet as the wild west, and there have been too many online showdowns that have resulted, at best, in hurt feelings and, at worst, in tragedy.”

“It’s a lot of pressure for young people,” says Alex, highlighting the importance of Jill’s initiative to start an anti-bullying hotline. “It’s important to provide safe haven resources and suicide hot-lines geared toward youths affected by bullying.”

“I have also joined forces with GLAAD as a spokesperson for their anti-LGBT bullying initiatives and am excited to host the 2010 GLAAD OutAuction on Nov. 21,” Jill says. “My Housewives co-stars are supporting the event along with celebrities such as Randy Jackson, Fran Drescher, Johnny Weir, Kyra Sedgwick, Heather McDonald and Robbie Williams.”

(Click here to purchase tickets to that event)

— Lindsey DiMattina

Poetry

Posted at 12:12 PM on April 6, 2012

Magnificent submit, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector do not realize this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help different users like its helped me. Great job.

Vicki

Posted at 1:53 PM on November 11, 2010

I agree with Sarah that it is the cause we should be concerned with. This all came about because of the actions of two hateful and spiteful teenagers who had nothing better to do than to ruin another persons life who was different from their own, and they could not stand the
Indifference.
I do AGREE though with the others, that Jill Zarin is the LAST person to be any type of spokesperson for ” bullying,” after her antics on RHONY!
It is admirable of Alex to stand up with her for such a cause, but that is the type of person Alex is. She tried to apologize and it was rejected, and Jill is jealous over anyone who gets more camera time than she does. Plain and simple. Jill then BULLIES other cast members NOT to appear or help that cast member on their new project.
Cannot get into Jill Zarin for ANY charity cause no matter who is with her, except Alex McCord. For Her, I will listen !

sarah

Posted at 12:21 AM on November 11, 2010

Shouldn’t we be focused on the cause though. No matter who it is at least she is working to get rid of something we all know is bad and these actions may save some kids lives. She may not be the poser child for good behavior but anyone that can work for a good cause should get a little credit. I just think it’s great that the media has finally decided to focus on something that will have a positive effect instead of stupid frivolities.

Shelby Lynn

Posted at 12:13 PM on November 10, 2010

Jill Zarin a spokes person for anti-bullying?
Ya Right !
This hater invented it for BRAVO TV and the HW Franchise!
She’s to worst to give advise to anyone about anything !
I personally can’t believe that Alex would support her for any cause after the way she spoke about her kids and Simon on the show.
She’s YUCK !

tootsie

Posted at 7:17 PM on November 9, 2010

Exactly Greg. The Queen of Bullying now speaking out against it. She should have thought of that in Season 3 when she bullied Bethenny. Each week I could not believe the bullying and hatefulness she displayed towards Bethenny. Then at the Reunion she bullied Alex. What a schmuck. Thank goodness I will never meet her. I have better taste than that.

greg

Posted at 3:03 PM on November 9, 2010

jill was the freakin bully of real housewives last season! she tried to get everyone to hate bethenny since she was jealous of her success and wanted more attention on her. jill should not be talking about bullying, unless its apologizing for her own actions on amazon, bullying ppl for giving bad reviews, and threatening them with antisemitic insults.

this blog is disgusting, first you pay danielle staub for lame stories, and now jill? pathetic.