So Sad — 'Bachelorette' Star Julien Hug Left Suicide Note According To Father.

Sat, November 6, 2010 5:47pm EST by 10 Comments

Bertrand Hug confirms earlier reports that Julien’s death was a suicide, saying his son left a note.

It is now becoming clear that the death of 35-year-old Bachelorette contestant Julien Hug was a suicide after his father, Bertrand Hug, has come forward to say there was a suicide note. Radar Online spoke to Bertrand who said, “I had no idea my son was suffering from depression. I just never knew that. He left us all a note and I’m in shock.”

Riverside County Sheriff’s Sgt. Joe Borja said in a statement that Hug’s body was found in the remote Pinyon Pines area of California off Highway 74 around 11 am on Nov 3 and that no foul play was suspected, although he did not confirm a cause of death yet. Popeater.com said Riverside County Sheriff Deputy Melissa Nieburger told the press in a statement that the body was found in an area that “you would need to hike into.”

An official cause of death is pending a coroner’s investigation. We’re so sorry for Julien’s parents, Bertrand and Denise. What a devastating loss.

beer

Posted at 7:56 PM on April 24, 2012

Usually I do not read post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, quite great article.

Jenna

Posted at 2:09 PM on May 15, 2011

Someone please explain how tuffyturf’s comments are racist. The theory is offensive and rude especially in the aftermath of a suicide and a family’s loss but I saw no negative comments about the French at all.

Sam

Posted at 1:03 PM on November 7, 2010

When is society going to realize that depression is a *serious* medical condition (not laziness or weakness of character) that has *nothing* to do with wealth, fame, or etchnic background? It affects people from all socioeconomic tiers; it is an equal opportunity brain disease. It is entirely believable that the Hug family didn’t know the depths of Julien’s despair; depression is isolating. Don’t blame his family. They are already suffering a deep loss. People who suffer with depression also wear a cloak of shame for some of the reasons I’m reading here. They don’t want to be judged as weak-willed.
What is terible sad is that this man suffered so much he felt this was his only option. I am truly confused that one would really blame his French heritage. What does that have to do with anything?
Educate yourselves, please.
Sincere condolences to the Hug family.

renee

Posted at 7:59 PM on November 6, 2010

Before we PRE-JUDGE, let’s wait for more facts. Condolences to the family.

tuffyturf

Posted at 7:47 PM on November 6, 2010

Who knows what is real here..

First off, this is anything but a typical suicide. The Hug family claims to be “close” yet they knew nothing of their sons depression?

Second- This family lives in the wealthiest city in the United States, if not the world- Rancho Santa Fe. Not too many only sons offing themselves out of depression in this enclave.

Third- This family owned Bertrando, the Derby favorite that lost miserably in the 90′s. My point is this, horse racing and boxing are about as rigged as it gets in betting on sports. So if you read the articles about this loving innocent family in blogs, give me a break! They are foreign born, and the line on Bertrando went to 4 to 1 when we found out that the Jockey was saying the horse could not run that far.

Word out of the bar at Mille Fleurs was that they had been holding Bertrando back, to bump of the odds on the derby favorite, then at the last second, Bully’s east is saying that it is a go as a bet, directly from the family, yet Bully’s La Jolla is telling everybody to pull their bets..

My bet was held, and I lost big..this family is not innocent, the son is probably suspect as a hit..

I find it hard to imagine that this was anything but an innocent suicide upon an all American family. These people are French, they own top tier caliber horses that race for money..you can fill in the blanks..this is a family cover up..if they were an innocent French family living in France without dealing in mob politics, their son would still be alive today..I hate when they portray their innocence on American sympathies when American’s know nothing about this family..They are far from innocent..

Julia

Posted at 8:59 PM on November 6, 2010

You are crazy!!! I know the Hugs very well and they are wonderful,kind hearted and generous people. They do a lot for the community and charities in San Diego. Rancho Santa Fe is an amazing place to live – don’t hate – CONGRATULATE!!!!! Keep Julien’ s spirit alive and think good thoughts for his parents Bertrand and Denise.

Morgan Green

Posted at 9:24 PM on November 6, 2010

I knew the Hugs and I knew Julien. Just because they’re French doesn’t make them evil. Besides only Bertrand is French both Julien and Denise are American born. And Bertrand is the business man that pulled himself up through the ranks and know every single position in a restaurant because at some point he had worked them. He made Julien do the same thing. Denise didn’t come from money either and they both taught their son humlity and the importance of hard work. Don’t judge someone entirely for thier nationality. You wouldn’t want to be judged for yours.

Bluus

Posted at 10:19 PM on November 6, 2010

I’m not going to touch on your idioitic racist comments but I will say this…Just because a family is close doesn’t mean that they know everything about one another. I’m close to my family and I love them dearly but I never told any of them about my depression after I graduated college, I visited Texas to see someone I knew and never told them. Close doesn’t equal omnipotence, a lot of depressed people HIDE it especially from the people they’re closest to.

I’m not saying that there might not be foul play here but seriously, keep your theories to your self and let the cops and the coroner deal with this instead of talking crap about a man who just died.

Charles

Posted at 5:46 AM on November 7, 2010

Lost big, eh? I got a way to get you back on top, my gambling friend. What you need to do next time is borrow and scrape together as much money as you can and place it on the horse with the longest tail, that’s a sure thing every time.

Erika

Posted at 2:19 PM on November 7, 2010

Please post ur negative comments somewhere else…Come on people a life was lost..be a little more respectful