SO SAD! 'Storm Chaser' Matt Hughes' Suicide Revealed After Several Months Of Secrecy

Thu, November 4, 2010 6:03pm EDT by 13 Comments
Courtesy of Discovery

Courtesy of Discovery

Matt Hughes committed suicide, but his death was kept secret for months. What made Discovery channel cover up his death?

Matt Hughes, the 30-year-old meteorologist from Discovery Channel’s hit realty show Storm Chasers, attempted to commit suicide by hanging May 14. TMZ reports Hughes died 10 days later in Wichita, Kansas “due to an injury unrelated to his chasing activities.” The medical examiner has since confirmed he died from hanging. Oddly enough, Hughes’ death was only made public during a Nov. 3 episode titled “Dedication” on the Discovery Channel — but that was months after he actually passed away.

Those close to Hughes, attempted to get the word out about their friend’s death. Wichita’s KAKE-TV’s website had a blog post from friend and former colleague Aaron Blaser, titled “R.I.P. Matt,” on June 7.

Aaron detailed, “Matt was in the hospital for several days in intensive care, there was a 24-hour vigil outside the waiting room, family, other chasers, business associates, etc. … What a lot of us didn’t know was that he suffered from depression.”

It seems strange the Discovery Channel would refrain from addressing the death of one of their stars for months after the incident occurred — do you think they wanted to give his family space, or is there something they were hiding?

Jen Murray

silvestris

Posted at 8:31 AM on July 23, 2013

Let’s have some fun and guess what he was hiding. You first.

news feed

Posted at 6:50 AM on February 7, 2013

Its great as your other articles : D, thankyou for posting . “A gift in season is a double favor to the needy.” by Publilius Syrus.

lol

Posted at 12:35 AM on June 12, 2012

You’re actually a excellent webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a magnificent job in this matter!

Weird News

Posted at 8:23 AM on May 18, 2012

Thanks for some other excellent post. Where else may anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the search for such information.

Learn Origami Art

Posted at 1:50 PM on April 16, 2012

Usually I do not read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great post.

The Real Cie

Posted at 8:08 PM on March 19, 2012

Until we as a society end the stigma that is placed on mental illness, people will be reluctant to seek help. Rest in peace, Matt. I feel badly for his family.

Dan in VA

Posted at 10:24 AM on December 5, 2010

Jen, that was irresponsible on your part as a writer/reporter. You had a legitimate story about his death; there was no reason to make a “cover up” innuendo. In the future I hope you will avoid unnecessary sensationalism that comes at the expense of a grieving family.

AnsleyReed

Posted at 9:58 AM on December 5, 2010

“do you think they wanted to give his family space, or is there something they were hiding?” REALLY JEN MURRAY?!?! REALLY?!

Of course they wanted to give the family space. I actually can’t even believe I read this article. You seriously need to go find a better topic to write on, rather than trying to start gossip out of someones pain and suffering. You should really be ashamed of yourself!!!! I’m appalled!!

Rest In Peace Matt!

Supaballz

Posted at 11:47 AM on December 2, 2010

too bad it wasn’t the guys from ghost hunters. I hate that show.

The Real Cie

Posted at 8:06 PM on March 19, 2012

What a rude, inane thing to say.

Colleen Bazyn

Posted at 11:13 AM on November 21, 2010

I feel for Matt. I also suffer from depression and it is not easy even with medication. If you know someone with depression, talk to them and let them know you are there for them. It effects your daily routine,and your whole life.
I want to send out my condolences to his family on and off tv. Rest in peace Matt. I will miss you on the show.

Naomi

Posted at 12:14 PM on November 7, 2010

I think discovery channel made the right choice in not publicising his death…it was obviously at the request of his family. Plus this would be the 2nd time that something was aired AFTER the death of one of the stars…the first was Captain Phil from deadliest catch. I’m glad I wasn’t aware until the episode; I don’t think I would’ve wanted to see it, had I known the circumstances, as it would’ve been in my opinion, to sad to watch. Rest in peace Matt…you were loved & will be missed. To the family & friends, my thoughts & prayers are with you, as I’m sure are millions of others.

tinamarie

Posted at 9:51 PM on November 4, 2010

My nine year old son and I watch this show and were so very saddened by this news. He was so young and seemed so happy with what he did on the show. Our prayers go out to his family.