'Project Runway': The Judges Spare No Criticism, And Mondo, Gretchen & Andy Are Headed To Fashion Week!

Fri, October 22, 2010 3:07am EDT by 6 Comments
Courtesy of Lifetime

Courtesy of Lifetime

It was part one of the season finale of Project Runway, and we got to see the final four designers show part of their 10-piece collection they had $9,000 to create. The judges don’t hold back in telling the designers their mistakes, we weren’t really surprised at which designers made it to Fashion Week, and Michael got extremely emotional.

Tim Gunn goes to visit each of the remaining designers in their hometown to check up on how they’re doing with their collections – and give them his expert advice, as usual! First, he goes to Hawaii to see Andy, who, with only three weeks left, has yet to make any actual clothes! On the other hand, Michael in California has completed a total of 18 looks, which doesn’t seem much better, as Tim calls it “design diarrhea”. Mondo, in Colorado, showed off gold shorts and plaid dresses, but maybe the weirdest piece is the bright pink pom-pom shirt Tim spots right away. In Oregon, Gretchen came home to a lot of bad news, but still managed to turn out a collection.

But the designers get a pleasant surprise back in New York – they’ve each gotten a tropical vacation! The next surprise is that they have to design one more dress to show, but it seems like everyone was expecting this one. In the workroom, Tim is concerned for Michael, which only makes Michael more nervous. And thank God Mondo got rid of the original jersey dress he was working on!

No celebrity judges this time around – it’s just Heidi Klum, Michael Kors, and Nina Garcia to pick the final three, and they have no problem holding back their criticism. Mondo’s pieces are fun, bright and bold, although I had to agree with Nina and Michael – I wasn’t thrilled with the polka-dot dress. Andy, Michael and Gretchen all made the same mistake by not showing a good variety of pieces from their collection. Frustrated with Andy, Nina said, “You might be out today. That’s a big gamble.” Nina even went as far as to say to Gretchen, “My interest was not piqued.” Ouch!

Mondo’s mini-collection was definitely the most interesting of all of the four. Gretchen’s clothes were a little too plain and “granola”, to borrow the phrase from Michael Kors. I can’t understand why Michael’s clothes were all basically the same color, and it just seemed like he was trying a little too hard. Andy’s bikini with a cape was a little too weird for my taste, and it was strange for him to pair that with two evening gowns.

I can’t saw I was surprised at the results – Mondo and Gretchen were the top two designers to be picked for Fashion Week, and unfortunately Michael got sent home. He didn’t take the news well at all, and the other designers didn’t really seem to know what to do to make him feel better. It’s not until Tim comes in and gives him one of his famous pep talks that Michael begins to calm down a little.

It was sad to see all of Michael’s hard work wasted, but I have to say that I feel like the judges made the right decision. He just didn’t have the best pieces. What did you guys think – did the right designer get sent home?

- Jessica Booth

Peggy

Posted at 12:56 PM on October 23, 2010

Gretchen deserves to be in the final three, because her work is so different from other designers. I’m curious to see what she produces! I don’t think Michael should be in the final three, because he, although intuitively a good designer needs to logically/intellectually know what he is doing. He seems to count too much on finding his direction from others, such as Tim Gunn. Mondo is and has been my guy and I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t win in the end. His work (except for the resort wear challenge) has been consistently good: interesting always, his point of view always, and often strikingly beautiful.

John

Posted at 8:08 PM on October 22, 2010

Gretchen’s clothing, coming from natural earthy colors, are so much more marketable than April’s infinitely repeated fashion school black with cut outs and forced lack of symmetry.

Andy’s bikini and cape piece was ugly, the top didn’t fit model breasts, the cups were misshapen, possible modeled on Andy’s mom’s bust – ugggh!

Michael’s feather dress was ugly too.

Andy should have gone home as his bikini look was both ugly and uninteresting, while Michael’s feather dress was merely ugly.

Karon

Posted at 7:43 PM on October 22, 2010

I cannot believe that Gretchen is in….granola…I think tree hugger is better. She has a very strange way of designing. From what I have seen she can only design in brown, gray and tan. What’s up with that. There have been at least two designers that should have stayed. It seems that the judges just cannot make up their minds–one week it is one way and when the designers listen to the criticism, the judges change their minds. I vote the judges “You’re out” and get some that have the “every woman in mind”. I sincerely hope that their are some design houses that value the talent that was thrown away..and stay away from someone that is deceitful and compromising.

Kaibern

Posted at 5:06 PM on October 22, 2010

I was upset at seeing Michael so overwhelmed with
the decision. – he got abused all the way
through the end by the other designers; he overcame
that and some of the designers finally gave him some respect
and managed to include him.
I think that having FOUR designers, sending them out
and singling out one to go home is a bit cruel. What is
the point? Did the judges really need them to go home
and design before deciding that ONE had to leave? It
doesn’t make sense. Gretchen and Andy got alot
of criticism throughout, yet 3 judges decide they should
go on — no one but Tim saw the designs — maybe
he should be consulted in the future as part of the
decision AND stop with leaving already exhausted –
mentally and physically – designers to think they have
a shot and it’s “I am sorry, you are out!” Wasn’t
pleasant to watch Michael’s breakdown. If there were
five designers even and two had to leave, it would
soften the blow but that was just horrible to watch.

shymaa

Posted at 5:02 PM on December 25, 2011

I agree with ur opinion

NeNe

Posted at 7:57 AM on October 22, 2010

This show is BS this season. Gretchen should have been the one to come home last week, not April. I’m sick of her “I deserve this’ attitude. Her a^^ needs to be sent packing. I hope Mondo wins!!!