EXCLUSIVE! 'Sister Wives' Attorney Says Kody Brown's Family Probably Won't Be Prosecuted For Felony Bigamy!

Thu, October 21, 2010 4:39pm EDT by 11 Comments

The state of Utah typically doesn’t prosecute polygamist families, so the Browns’ attorney says he doesn’t see a reason for the family’s felony case to move forward.

Kody Brown and his polygamist family, the stars of TLC’s reality series Sister Wives, are currently being investigated for felony bigamy by the Utah County Attorney‘s office — but the family’s personal attorney, Jonathan Turley, doesn’t believe the family will be convicted. “The Utah County Attorney General’s website states that absent a crime, the policy is not to prosecute bigamy,” Turley tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively. He adds that it just wouldn’t make sense at this juncture to prosecute the seemingly happy family unit.

On the attorney general’s website, we also a little excerpt that states: “Polygamy is illegal in Utah … However, law enforcement has decided to focus on crimes within polygamous communities that involve child abuse, domestic violence and fraud.”

Turley tells us, “It would be a curious thing to select this one family out of thousands simply because they appeared on TV. We remain hopeful that the prosecutors use the well recognized power of prosecutorial discretion in declining prosecution in this case.”

The Utah County Attorney’s office says the case is still in the screening phase and there is no time frame in which it will either be moved forward or dropped.

— Jessica Finn

Пхукет экскурсии

Posted at 3:14 PM on June 29, 2012

hello!,I really like your writing so much! proportion we keep in touch more approximately your post on AOL? I require a specialist in this space to resolve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look forward to look you.

авиабилеты

Posted at 7:07 PM on May 15, 2012

I am now not certain where you are getting your info, however good topic. I must spend a while studying much more or working out more. Thanks for fantastic information I was searching for this info for my mission.

acheter microsoft office 2007

Posted at 4:26 PM on May 15, 2012

I do agree with all the ideas you have introduced in your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices. May you please prolong them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

barbara cline

Posted at 11:10 PM on January 2, 2012

I love the show and I respect them and the way they chose to live their lives. Skip the negativity and either watch the show or don’t. If you don’t care for them why waste your time-change the channel. In the meantime the rest of us will sit back and enjoy watching a loving family go through the every day trial like the rest of us. Go Browns Go!!!!!!

sue

Posted at 8:49 PM on June 18, 2011

I am a woman with three grown children and was married to an awful man for many years. What I see when I watch this show is a man that obviously loves all of his wives and all of his children I believe equally. All of the wives and all of the children are happy, healthy and loving children with mothers that love all of them. I saw one of the older girls say that she would not choose to live in a plural marriage because she is too jealous, so they have been taught to think for themselves and to make a lifestyle choice that fits for them. The parents are supportive of whatever the kids feel they will need as adults to make them happy, I find that wonderful. I am born and raised catholic and raised my children in the catholic religion also. I read that immigrants are allowed to make animal sacrifices for the religious beliefs when they come here and find that appalling, but it’s the law, no religious persecution, right? I would add that I am a jealous person when it comes to “my man” and the plural wives situation would never work for me, but I see a truly happy and loving family that depend on each other to complete and compliment each other, the kids are smart, articulate, respectful and consider the other wives kids as their own siblings. To break up this family, even though it’s not “normal” would be an awful thing to do, and I think the taxpayers money would be better spent on things that are more important, such as keeping people that deserve to be in prison in prison and not out on early leave because of lack of money. It’s a happy family, let them stay that way, please!

Nini

Posted at 4:02 PM on May 6, 2011

I personally don’t understand why this matters to any of us… I mean it’s obvious that these people are choosing to live this way and their kids are well taken care of and they do their best. This is not the polygamy of the past children being forced to marry men old enough to be their fathers or grandfathers this is consenting adults they all made this choice happily and without pressure. In the era of open marriages, non conventional lifestyles and acceptance it seems archaic that we are still trying to tell grown consenting adults how to garner relationships. If they are all ok with it if they are all adults and the only law they are braking is a law that shouldn’t exist then let them alone. The women have lasting friendships a sisterhood if you will. Open your minds and your eyes yes polygamy should be against that law when it is forced upon a child but consenting adults are just that consenting. And as far as supporting his kids this seems no different to me then a man who had children with differnt woman but at least this man sees and supports his kids.

Wow

Posted at 6:54 PM on October 28, 2010

Get over it! If you don’t like the show….change the friggin’ channel!

gbtw

Posted at 6:49 PM on October 21, 2010

he looks like a narcissistic creep. what is going on with his hair? the “old” wives look anything but happy, and the red-shirted one, well… i guess i’ll keep it to myself. in any case, this guy looks like a pig to me. maybe i’d feel differently if i watched the show, but i have no intention of watching anymore of these gross tlc/bravo exploitive shows.

renita

Posted at 1:47 AM on October 25, 2010

he IS A CREEPY, what a pig! the whole situation is sickening for those poor children that didnt ask for it. i’d love to see 1 of his wives bring in a new husband….bet his dopey attitude would change!!

i wonder if he truly is supporting ALL those kids. many polygmists put the extra wives & kids on welfare. so WE pay for their “lifestyle”. what garbage!

Kody

Posted at 3:31 AM on May 23, 2011

I don’t think your opinion would change if you watched the show. He is an extremely creepy, child-like narcissist. These children are raised in cult-like conditions and told that Kody is acting on God’s behalf. Also, to an earlier poster: This matters to us, Nini, or should matter to us, because 19+ children are involved, therefore, there are not only consenting adults to be considered here. These poor children do not know any better. As a matter of fact, neither do the wives since most of them were raised in the same cult-like religious extremist setting. In my opinion, he openly thumbed his nose at Utah police and prosecutors by openly admitting on national television that he knew he was breaking the laws of Utah, which have been rewritten, unlike other states, to include this exact type of cohabitation and not just multiple ‘legal’ marriages.

barbee61

Posted at 11:16 PM on January 2, 2012

You sure know a lot about the show so you must have watched it more than once. Great show isn’t it. Don’t hate.