Bonnie Says: Taylor Momsen, 17, In Guns & Garters — Is It Even More Disturbing Than Miley?

Thu, October 14, 2010 10:18am EDT by 25 Comments

So is this ANY way for an underage girl to dress? Is Taylor arty or just plain tarty?

Taylor Momsen doesn’t leave much to the imagination on the November issue of Revolver magazine. The 17-year-old Gossip Girl star pushes to be as provocative as possible in black lacy thigh-highs, a skimpy black top, stretches of bare skin, a rifle in hand AND a gun holster around her hips! Is she auditioning to be poster princess for the National Rifle Association?

Taylor, who started the rock band Pretty Reckless in 2008, is actually making a pretty reckless statement here. With the horrendous incidents of Columbine-style gun massacres that have tragically taken lives at high schools and Virginia Tech university (in 2007), isn’t she being incredibly irresponsible linking her teen sexuality to bare skin and gun barrels?

Saying gunslinging is so-so-sexy to other young, still-in-school children just shows that she may have a woman’s body but not a shred of intelligence. Inside the mag she poses in various states of undress with numerous weapons, including chainsaws, shotguns and swords, according to Popeater.com.

She also makes it clear that when it comes to sex, she’s not just posing. She’s thinking about sex and talking about sex and watching … sex tapes. “I like some adult stars”, she told Revolver. “But I will say this: That Tommy-Lee / Pamela Anderson video wasn’t very good. I wouldn’t f**k Tommy Lee.” Nice. Nice to hear from your 17-year-old lips, Taylor. She apparently also holds forth on the subject of masturbation in the mag.

Taylor has admitted that she’s not friends with the rest of the Gossip Girl cast. And is it any wonder why? She smokes, she always performs with her band in a bordello-style corset, stockings and garters and admits her style is “high-class hooker.” (By the way, that look isn’t even original — she stole her style from Joan Jetts former bandmate Cherie “Cherry Bomb” Currie.)

Taylor certainly doesn’t seem too concerned about what everyone thinks of her. “I’m 17. Aren’t I supposed to be provocative? I don’t really understand what the problem is,” she has said.  “I know I dress provocatively on stage, but it’s just rock ‘n’ roll. Like, I don’t really understand what the big deal is.”

Well, here’s the big deal: You’re a naive teen, playing with a whole lot of fire. You’re telling other teens that gunplay is sexy, not dangerous. You’re telling men that you’re open for business. And you’re telling other young women that the way to be provocative isn’t with talent or brains, but with sex and violence.

I’m not the only one who’s appalled by Taylor’s attitude and message. “She’s 17 and dressed as if she’s ready for sex and her legs-open stance is sending a loud and clear invitation — come play with me and my guns,” says psychotherapist Dr. Gilda Carle. “What happens when the invitation is no longer a fantasy on the cover of a magazine but when she’s alone in a dressing room and some guy comes on to her? How is she going to handle that? Who’s going to take advantage of her and will she be able to deal with the consequences?”

“Her legs spread like that show that she’s sexually available — but it’s not sexy, it’s vulgar”, agrees Dr. Lillian Glass. “Then having the gun pointed at her head with all the teen suicides going on is very bad. Guns are NOT props! It’s not controversial or edgy, it is unacceptable!”

Taylor — did you give any thought to the victims of teen gun violence before you set out to look “cool”?  You and your enabler parents are idiots!

-Bonnie Fuller

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Check out more from our BFFs at Glamour.com!

1. Lauren Conrad’s DOs and DON’Ts
  2. 36 Cute Fall Dresses (for Under $100!)
  3. The Dos and Don’ts of Smoky Eye Makeup
  4. Fall Fashion Trends That’ll Make You Look 10 Pounds Thinner

Bill

Posted at 4:47 PM on February 9, 2013

Good Lord Bonnie, could you be a bigger prude? And of course you also used the picture to grandstand about your anti-gun agenda. Watch an interview with this girl – you’ll find she’s very mature and intelligent and her image is not controlled by agents or handlers. She made the choice to go form acting to rock music and she’s damn good at what she does. Just because she doesn’t live up to your Puritanical view of how a 17 year old girl should dress or act doesn’t make her the lost, exploited child that you describe. I’d like to see you preach this self-righteous crap to Taylor’s face. She’d easily put you in your place where you belong.

Hi How are you? It's good to know that you are still around this website. How did the last Google update affect your site? It seems that your blog is one of the strongest in the current SERP's! If there will be any problems be sure to get back to me, alwa

Posted at 2:58 PM on December 2, 2011

We just got our call and “offer” from citibank yesterday. I don’t feel it’s a great deal at all! $300 off our current payment. 3% for the next 5 years, then 1% added every year until it gets back to 6.75%.My husband asked if they could do better and the guy said, that was all he was “authorized” to offer. We had to say yes or no on the spot, no time to talk to each other about it. We said yes because if we said no, then what? We just lose our house? $300 doesn’t help us with our situation. We have a 2nd that cost that much. He also wouldn’t help us with our 2nd because it’s with another bank. Our house is worth 1/2 or less of the balance.The paperwork on this offer is on its way. Not sure what to do now.Does anyone know what happens if you say no and can’t afford the offer? Any advice. **Rick vanH, do you mind me asking what kind of Grand Slam you got???

Jess

Posted at 8:29 PM on November 15, 2010

Taylor’s an idiot. Plain and simple.

J

Posted at 11:53 AM on October 25, 2010

OK, some of the symbolism is way over the top fro a 17 year old GIRL.

However, people complaing and freaking out about the guns are uninformed to say the least. First off, the girl is NOT pointing the gun at her head. It is clearly resting behind her head. And second, that gun is not a rifle, but appears to be a pistol-grip shotgun.

Guns are no more dangerous than an automobile. Teens kill with cars at much higher rates than with guns. Guns can serve a useful purpose for recreation, hobbies, security and self-defense.

I am of the opinion that everyone with a driver’s license should also be required to take motorcycle training. It probably would not be a bad idea to have firearm training, as well, possibly as part of a rotation in physuical education. There would be far fewer firearm accidents if people were not irrationally afraid of them. Perhaps it would demystify the guns and make children and adults who are curious about them less prone to handle or use one in an improper way.

Dayna Lella

Posted at 3:55 PM on October 23, 2010

Most girls start masturbating at ages 5+ People need to stfu and leaver her alone, shes almost 18! and her crowed is older kids

littlemissauteur

Posted at 4:03 AM on October 20, 2010

I’m absoutley speechless. Does this child think its okay to dress this way? Underage girls shouldn’t wear revealing underwear or 8 inch heels because it arouses old, pedophilic, men to uncontrollably sexually assault them. The audacity of her to knowingly illicit such deviant thoughts in men’s brains! If she does get raped, just let the judge see this photo and he’ll understand how apathetic she is and let the poor guy go free. Only women over the age of 18–or 16 in most of the southern U.S.–understand the unfettered power they hold over a man and the elaborate technique involved in deactivating his sexual assault instinct. Obviously she isn’t dressing this way to express herself, because everyone knows that teenage girls don’t think about sex, certainly don’t masturbate and aren’t intelligent enough to understand irony.
Her “provacative” on-stage persona is dangerous and can deceive other inherently naive and equally mindless girls to believe that avant-garde entertainment derives it inspiration from gun violence and vulgarity. Momsen is also alleged to have contributed to the production of the Grand Theft Auto Video games, “Rocky Horror Picture Show”, The 1965 & 1992 Watts Riots, “Saw” films 2-5, and the Nicole Simpson murder trial. Her mercy is clearly none. She continues posing with guns to continue her reign of social degradation and promote violence. She’s never said this explicitly, but 17 y.o. girls don’t know understand how to use words correctly. Behavioral scientists theorize this phenomena happens at the onset of menstruation and continues on until 18 years of age. So, the use of phallic symbols is unethical until you’re 10 months older, young lady!

So, a word of advice to the Taylor Momsen’s of the world, always remember how naive, pure, valueless, and inane yet extraordinarily powerful over men you are until you’re 18–then you can be as slutty as you want.

blaize

Posted at 8:45 AM on October 18, 2010

So because Taylor Momsen is 17, she has to be virginal and innocent? I agree that what Taylor Momsen has done is inappropriate- I always knew she was wilder than Miley Cyrus. But I don’t like how this article implies that because Taylor is 17, it’s wrong and/or “slutty” for her to think about sex, talk about sex, want to have sex, dress sexy, etc. Teenagers are sexual people. Both Taylor and Miley have the right to explore and express their sexuality.They’re becoming adults.

Angie

Posted at 9:50 PM on October 17, 2010

So what else is new? Unfortunately, Momsen is starved for attention and on the path to self-destruction. I actually feel sorry for her.

Ex-TwiHard

Posted at 5:10 AM on October 16, 2010

NO. MILEY IS MORE DISTURBING.

MILEY’S WAS IN DISNEY. SHE HAS VERY YOUNG FANS.

TAYLOR WASN’T IN DISNEY. SHE ISN’T EVEN A ROLE MODEL. SO, IT’S FINE. I DONT CARE.

PLUS MILEY DOESN’T WEAR BRA WHEN WEARING A WHITE T-SHIRT!
PROOF: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la9ed6rLw71qdhr0lo1_500.jpg

Susan

Posted at 8:07 PM on October 14, 2010

I normally don’t comment on these things, but it’s really rather pathetic that what this girl chooses to wear should provoke such puritanical outrage. The real problem isn’t that she’s dressed inappropriately, it’s that everything about her is contrived. If you read what she says, everything is pretty much your run of the mill, look at me I’m so grown up and hardcore, pretentious teenage affair. So stop clutching your pearls and just ignore her.

KNUTE

Posted at 10:25 AM on October 15, 2010

Absolutely. Big whoop.

Tracy

Posted at 5:57 PM on October 14, 2010

Somebody should call Child Services to rescue this young girl from her parent(s) , even if it means taking her away from Hollywood ( which should be the best thing for the girl , by the way ) and sending her into a foster home or live with relatives . I don’t care if later in life through her new caretakers ‘s guidance , Taylor Momsen becomes a motivational speaker , goes to law or medical school , take drama courses to become a real actress , or become a missionary or nun , just as long as she gets the help she needs to become a better and wiser person . Just to let you guys know , I am 47 , but I am not of the minivan minority , I’m sort of puritanical , and I vote for the Canadian New Democrats , although these days , I am leaning towards the Green Party .

Avalen

Posted at 3:13 PM on October 14, 2010

She´s a Lady GaGa and Lindsay Lohan wannabe combined! I will not think about her that much, once the show she´s with be cancelled, she will be banished from the limelight soon enough faster than you think!

AJ

Posted at 9:53 PM on October 15, 2010

Agreed, she does look like a wannabe Gaga with the clothes… and Lilo attitude. I think her face is so freakin ugly she is trying to make us not look at it by dressing in those clothes. It’s not working, all I see is ugly. Lady Gaga does that too, tries to hide her ugly face with obnoxious clothes.

emgee

Posted at 1:38 PM on October 14, 2010

What a ridiculous thing to say! If it’s dangerous to hold a gun in a sexy pose, because guns are linked to – what did she say again, Columbine? – then every picture any model has ever taken, male or female, next to a lasso or in chaps or anything cowboy-related should be considered dangerous, too… after all, the cattle industry is linked to a horrendous history of animal cruelty… People might think animal cruelty’s okay because they saw the lasso… oh yeah and no one can wear a suit and tie, because politicians who have hurt people in the past were wearing those and they represent their culture… People might see the suit and tie and think it’s okay to be a politician and lie to the public…

Or maybe, someone just had to stretch *waaayyy* too far to try to tie one thing into the other and thus validate her feelings of upset that somebody under 18 should dress this way. Your call, folks.

jc

Posted at 12:51 PM on October 14, 2010

Coming from a guy who dealt with, well, a few of those types of girls, I gotta say….. It’s hot. But don’t expect respect if you’re going to dress and act like that. guys love girls that dress like that for pure recreation. No one wants to marry something like that. So, if you don’t mind the instant derision such modes of dress provoke, or the fact that the only men you’ll attract are the “young, dumb, and full of ….” (as I was) then, by all means continue on. I believe in freedom of expression, but I also believe in freedom to accept the consequences. I don’t think any less of her, regardless, but I do expect she’ll have to learn the hardway. Just like so many other trainwreck celebrities recently.

Jenn_row

Posted at 3:15 PM on October 14, 2010

I agree with you and I love that you are a guy and you said this comment. If it was for pure recreation that she dressses this way thats one thing, but like a ton of other young celebs she will have to learn the hard way. Dont expect respect if you dress or act like this….dressing is one thing, being it is completely different. I dont think less of her for it, just like with the Miley thing, I just think she is too young for it, I think that its already hard enough in the world to keep your self grounded and to find who you are then you add fame, and popularity and a fast paced, body imaged life style onto these young kids that it will be hard for anyone…….. but at the same time, would I let my children look at this? No, but its also not something that is really easy to keep from them because “this” image is everywhere

Ali

Posted at 11:52 AM on October 14, 2010

Go join the Tea Party Bonnie, and get down off your self-righteous high horse.

ylime4452

Posted at 11:24 AM on October 14, 2010

I totally agree with Bonnie. All of you are clearly young and dumb. Young girls don’t realize that dressing like a whore at such a young age doesn’t make you sexy, it makes you a slut. Being a slut isn’t cool. Have some respect for yourself or nobody else is going to have respect for you. You’ll never find a decent guy by dressing and acting like a whore. Celebrities don’t realize the damage they’re causing when they dress and act irresponsibly.

And before you say I’m the “minivan majority”, I’m 21. I just know how to not act like a total harlot.

emgee

Posted at 1:51 PM on October 14, 2010

Ew. I totally disagree with you. Clothing does not make a person into a slut. What does that is sex with different people, and even then the term is a subjective label applied solely by uptight people who are offended at behavior that differs from their own – or worse yet, afraid that they must defend some nonexistent cultural more that somehow will be destroyed by other people having freedom of action and expression. Don’t worry, because no one will call you out for having feelings in response to her promiscuity that you can’t deal with. If you’re a male and can’t deal with the fact that you’re attracted to her, I understand your confusion. Reality conflicts with religious morality for you. I pity you. If you’re a female and can’t deal with the fact that you’re attracted to her, then do as Palin does, and hide the shame attendant to your individuality deep within the concrete mores of a poitical party to whom you defer both your self-respect and your control over your personal life and its ultimate outcome on planet earth. The sluttiness really lies with the looker, and not with the wearer. “I put the woman down at the riverbanks, brother. Why are you still carrying her?”

blaize

Posted at 8:54 AM on October 18, 2010

No, no, no! Dressing sexy does not make a woman a whore- whether she’s 17, 18, or 21. As far as being sexual goes, women have EVERY RIGHT to embrace their sexuality. Any person with REAL class can accept that. Any person with REAL class and common sense does NOT promote the slut label- it does much more damage to society than celebrities dressing sexy. People should be who they want to be and dress how they want to dress.

sall2322

Posted at 10:52 AM on October 14, 2010

Who cares!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He- is 10 years older than me, lol. We met online at an age gap dating site Ag-eMin-gle . C’ 0- M—a nice and free place for Younger- Women and Older Men, or Older Women and Younger Men, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or- tell your friends

merry

Posted at 10:44 AM on October 14, 2010

Bonnie is so puritanical. I guess you’re catering to the minivan majority.

nicebags

Posted at 10:37 AM on October 14, 2010

I like her bag, too beautiful, “n i c e g r a d e b a g s” can see it

Pipedown spammer

Posted at 9:21 PM on October 14, 2010

Yes, because that revolver looks just like a handbag. Crimeny, spammers can be so awkward when they comment on a topic without a handbag…