LAURA'S LOVE LIFE ADVICE: Courteney Cox, You Should Fight To Save Your Marriage To David Arquette!

Wed, October 13, 2010 10:57am EDT by 5 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

It’s so hard to find true love — why would Courteney just her marriage slip away after 11 years instead of working at it?

I — and the rest of the world — was shocked when Hollywood’s seemingly most solid couple, Courteney Cox and David Arquette, announced their ‘trial’ separation on Monday. But I was rendered speechless after David, 39, called into Howard Stern‘s Sirius radio show yesterday to reveal that it was actually his WIFE who wanted the split.

If David had cheated or emotionally or physically abused the Cougar Town star, I would have understood. But after hearing his candid interview, it seems his worst trait was too much joie de vivre. “After our 11th anniversary, she gave me a motorcycle and said, ‘I don’t wanna be your mother anymore.’ I was like, ‘Alright, I get it.'”

Sure, no one wants to play mom to her husband — especially at the age of 46 — but it isn’t like David isn’t working at becoming at better person, even revealing that he’s been “going to therapy..to grow up.” But is that a good reason to throw 11 years of marriage away? NO!

David clearly loves Courteney, and believes they belong together, despite their non-existent sex life. “I’ve been begging Courteney to get back with me,” he revealed to Howard. “She’s the greatest woman in the world.”

Speaking as a single girl, I may not have experienced the hardships of marriage, but what I DO know is this: everything worth having in life takes work. If something is broken, you fix it. If a marriage hits a rocky patch, you work things out, you talk, you seek couples counseling. True love is rare, and finding someone — especially in Hollywood — that doesn’t cheat (David slept with bartender Jasmine Waltz AFTER the couple separated in June) is a miracle.

I can only hope that one day Courteney remembers that.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Zengxingfeng

Posted at 11:25 AM on October 17, 2010

“U g g – sales-tore”, you can find your favorite of f-a-s-h-i-o-n-a-b-l-e s-n-o-w b-o-o-t-s

louise77

Posted at 6:59 PM on October 13, 2010

Laura you should do a little research before spreading your advise. They have been in therapy for 11+ years. If that’s not fighting for a marriage I don’t know what is.

Dawn

Posted at 2:23 PM on October 13, 2010

Thank you Laura. Clearly you did listen to the interview.

scarla

Posted at 2:06 PM on October 13, 2010

Their marriage didn’t hit a rocky patch Laura. Courtney has apparently been trying to raise Peter Pan for 11 years. I’d say that constitutes enough ‘fighting’ to call it quits. And since when does physical and mental abuse or cheating serve as the only justifiable pre-requisites for divorce?????
Courtney probably had the same outlook that you do…”if something is broken, fix it.” Well, she couldn’t fix it….you can’t make people over.

moralitypolice

Posted at 11:50 AM on October 13, 2010

I might agree with you – except that David went too far in his interview with Howard Stern. If he is serious about trying to save his marriage, this is NOT the way to do it. You don’t talk about your wife having cold or methodical sex with you (even if it’s true). You also don’t talk about having “manly” sex with someone else…even if it was after the separation. How do you think Courteney is going to feel after hearing that? It’s one thing to know he had sex with another woman. It’s another to know it was good. Sorry…but the fact that David has revealed so much proves he’s childish and hasn’t grown up. In this case, I think Courteney was right to dump him. She’s already raising one child. She doesn’t need a second.