Controversy: Couple Pushed Surrogate To Abort Their Fetus Because It Had Down Syndrome

Sun, October 10, 2010 8:32am EDT by 80 Comments

When a Canadian couple learned that the baby their surrogate was carrying had Down syndrome, they urged her to get an abortion. What would you do in that situation, HollyMoms?

Stars like Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick aren’t the only parents expanding their families with the aid of a surrogate mother. When a couple in British Columbia couldn’t conceive a baby on their own, they turned to a surrogate to carry their child. Like most people who decide to go the surrogate route, they got lawyers and wrote up a contract. Everything was going just fine until the couple learned that the fetus, which was still in its first trimester, would most likely be born with Down syndrome, reports the National Post. “They were certainly quite shocked,” says their fertility specialist, Dr. Seethram of the Pacific Centre for Reproductive Medicine. The parents-to-be felt that it was in the best interest of everyone involved to terminate the pregnancy. Unfortunately the surrogate mother disagreed.

Sarah Jessica Parker is the proud mom to twins – thanks to a surrogate!

She was determined to carry the baby to term. “The baby that’s being carried is their baby. It’s usually their genetic offspring,” says Sally Rhoads, a former surrogate who helps parents and mothers make arrangements through SurrogacyInCanada.ca. “Why should the intended party be forced to raise a child they didn’t want? It’s not fair.” Yet, because of the legal contract they all signed, the surrogate’s decision to keep the baby would mean that the biological parents would no longer be responsible for raising the child, and she’d be free to raise the child as her own.

Neil Patrick Harris is going to be a dad to twin girls this fall via a surrogate

Eventually the surrogate, who has two biological children of her own, did agree to get an abortion. While it’s a shame that the surrogate had to go through a procedure that she wasn’t in favor of, it’s hard to imagine a way to resolve this situation where everyone would have been OK with the outcome. What would you have done if you were the surrogate or the couple involved?

–Amy L. Harper

Brooke

Posted at 1:31 AM on October 19, 2010

Sorry – I am 100% in agreement with the parents here. This is their biological child and I believe they asked the surrogate according to their wishes. the surrogate certainly did not have to go through with the abortion…….but she did. What does that say?? She did not want the responsibility either.

Serena

Posted at 10:04 AM on December 3, 2010

Why do Liberals HATE people with Down Syndrome? Why do they always preach to me that I should be “accepting” of people who are “born different” and why do they preach “tolerance and diversity” when they don’t accept people with Down Syndrome?

Why do Liberals preach all of that “acceptance” s**t, and then tell me that people with Down Syndrome are WORTHLESS.

Runa

Posted at 3:48 PM on January 5, 2011

I generally consider myself liberal, but I don’t think that we need to enforce a eugenics-type policy and encourage mothers to abort their children unless both mother and child would definitively die if the mother were to attempt to carry the child to term. I honestly think it’s despicable that parents would try to encourage another woman to abort their biological child. Who has to pay the health risks after the abortion? Who has to carry the mental scars? I really think the woman (well, any surrogate mom) should have put a clause into her contract that she will only consider abortion if her life is in very real danger because of the pregnancy. After that, if the parents decide that they are not capable of providing the care necessary for their child, that is their own concern.

erikagm

Posted at 8:37 PM on August 30, 2011

While I disagree with abortion and would never have one practiced regardless of circumstances, I do believe it is each person’s right to decide. Who am I to judge others? It is not my place to tell others what they should or shouldn’t do. The only one who should judge is God, not us. The parents made their choice, and now they have to live with it.

Courtney

Posted at 12:53 PM on October 16, 2010

just because the child would’ve possibly been disabled doesn’t mean the parents should’ve made the surrogate abort their child. I’m a child with disabilites myself having visual impairment and a mild form of Autism called aschebergers syndrome Abortion is never the answer and often leaves emotional scars in the lives of the women affected by it

cactusheart

Posted at 6:02 AM on October 16, 2010

Goes to show how selfish people can become when they choose to become parents. Down syndrome, autism, disabilities, deformities…Those are the odds you face when you make that decision and you have to accept whatever comes because it’s YOUR JOB. A parent’s love is SUPPOSED to be UNCONDITIONAL…clearly their love is not, so clearly they’re unfit to be parents.

brandi

Posted at 8:02 AM on October 16, 2010

i think the term unfit parent would come with those who abuse, rape, and sell their children.

lea

Posted at 12:15 PM on November 18, 2010

I disagree, if you cannot have a child and love it unconditionally and choose to abort because it “might” not be perfect then you are not fit to parent. Let’s say the child was born perfect and later was in an accident that caused it to be disabled would it be ok to “get rid of it” then? no it wouldn’t, unconditional means just that ! These people don’t deserve the blessing of a child if they are not willing to take that blessing regardless of the form it comes in!

QFT

Posted at 3:05 PM on October 13, 2010

The only reason to screen for downs syndrom is to provide the option to abort the fetus.

I don’t imagine there are many people who would choose to let a child who is likely to be born with downs syndrom come to term.

It’s hard enough mentally, physically, and economically to afford raising a child without downs syndrome.

The only reason you are posting such a story is that it involved a surrogacy.

Perhaps a better question is: What would you do if you were informed that your unborn child was likely to have downs syndrome?

Hezface

Posted at 3:36 PM on October 15, 2010

Abortion is awful. Awful awful awful. this is really sad.

Serena

Posted at 10:00 AM on December 3, 2010

In other words, QFT, like the National Socialist Party, believes that Down Syndrome people are just PIECES OF CRAP.

Funny how all those Liberals accuse Catholics and Born Agains of being so hateful of gays and such.

And yet it’s the Catholics and Christians who LOVE people with Down Syndrome and adopt them.

Again, why do Liberals JUDGE a person Down Syndrome by THEIR DISABILITY before getting to know them for WHO THEY ARE.

PEOPLE ARE NOT THEIR DISABILITIES

Lori Manhart

Posted at 11:36 PM on August 30, 2011

I WOULD KEEP MY BABY!!!!!!! No matter what was wrong with my baby. I can say that for sure because I lost my daughter a month after she was born due to complications. SHe had Down’s and I would not change just having that one month with her for the world. No matter what she was MY Baby and it didnt and doesn’t matter if something is wrong, that is still your child. I bet those parents reget it now though because that child can never come back and even with an abortion you feel guilty. I never had one but I know some friends that have and they have regretted it sence they done. It has been a 11 years sence I lost my baby girl and I still miss and love her more than most can understand. It shouldn’t matter about money when it comes to YOUR CHILD. It’s just crazy that people would say that a baby is not a baby until its here. I know that a baby is a baby from conception. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about this, IT”S WRONG NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU LOOK AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah

Posted at 2:45 PM on October 13, 2010

You people are all very silly. Abortion is legal, even if you don’t agree with it. Maybe you should go adopt a down syndrome baby or foster child if you feel so strongly about it.

QFT

Posted at 2:56 PM on October 13, 2010

The world really does contain level-headed people?
I congratulate you for a realistic comment.

V8Slap

Posted at 7:39 PM on October 15, 2010

I agree with you Sarah. NO ONE can judge any party until they have been in their exact situation. The only thing I feel awful for is that both parties went through a trying period with this.

lea

Posted at 12:10 PM on November 18, 2010

I have a child with downs syndrome and while I will say that there are challenges it is not the hardship it once was, I was 20 when I had my son and even though abortion is legal it doesn’t mean that it is right. This child was aborted because it ” may have been a challenge” medical testing for downs syndrome in a fetus in the firs trimester is shaky at best, nothing is written in stone. I have since had two more children that are perfectly healthy and when pushed by my doctor to have the genetic testing done I refused for the simple fact that they were my children and if they were born with downs it would not have mattered in the least

Serena

Posted at 9:55 AM on December 3, 2010

Sarah, you and your liberal friends are such hypocrites. First you say, we should be “Accepting” of people who are “born different.” Then, when someone really is, unquestionable “born different”, and there’s no arguing that people with Down Syndrome are not born different, you’re not “accepting” of them.

Why do liberals preach “tolerance and diversity” and then say people with Down Syndrome are just a “waste of human space”?

Heather

Posted at 1:35 PM on February 28, 2011

Serena, Sarah didn’t say that. YOU DID. She said if you feel so strongly about it, to go adopt a Down’s syndrome baby. So shut up and adopt one.

Mike

Posted at 3:50 AM on August 31, 2011

Yeah Serena, why don’t you shut up. Why don’t you adopt a down syndrome baby and see how much pain and suffering it can potentially cause you to raise one. I have a cousin with downs syndrome and it caused my dad’s brother and his brother’s wife hell. It even broke up their marriage. Especially my cousin’s mom, she is a total basketcase and because of that, my uncle cheated on her three times and lives a life away from his house 6 days a week. And their daughter, my other cousin, is such a lost individual who is crazy and in her own world. So I’m with Heather. Shut the F*ck up and think about what it does to an individual before judging automatically without logic.

Same for the rest of you judging this couple. I dont think any of you know how burdensome it can be to take responsibility for a kid with down syndrome. The kid doesn’t even get granted full medicare benefits until he/she’s 18! That’s 18 years you have to thrive for that kid. Then we’ll see if you’re healthy, sane, or even alive at the end of those 18 years before you ship him/her off to a special needs home where the medicare can carry him until he’s dead. Stupid morons.

Cortney

Posted at 7:34 PM on August 30, 2011

Well I’m glad that injecting a baby with saline so that it burns alive and is tortured is okay with you just cause its legal. Or maybe they had the baby aborting in the clinic in philly where the doctor was delivering the babies then jabbing their heads with a knife at the base of their skull and sucking their brains out with a vacuum. Who cares if its legal its disgusting. Don’t even start with the fetus thing, those “fetus'” that survived abortion up until a few yrs ago when President Bush outlawed it were strangled, suffocated or drowned after the fact by the abortionist. People wake up this is not about us. This is cruel. Speak up for the life lost! Its not silly its serious! I Have a child with a genetic disorder so I can say there is no justification for that.

M Vera

Posted at 2:18 PM on October 13, 2010

I think it is ashamed that a baby’s life was ended because it MIGHT have been inconvenient for the parents involved to raise the child. It was not confirmed that the child would definitely have Down’s, and even if it had, how does that justify aborting the fetus? The danger of such notions is that we begin the ride down the slippery slope of eugenics. Our society has been there and done that and it did not work out well. Further, I challenge “Pastor” Dan’s notion that a Down’s child is a “tortured being.”

Many people who are not familiar with or afraid of dealing with a child with Down’s are ill informed as to the meaning and worth of a human’s life when that human has a challenge that MAY make others around them uncomfortable. That is really a sad reason to terminate a life…And having a niece with mild Down’s, I have to say that I have rarely met a happier, well adjusted, well educated, thoughtful and loving person.

tuffigirl

Posted at 5:08 PM on October 16, 2010

That would be “it is a shame”… not “it is ashamed”.

That being said…. I think this is something that should be discussed between the parents and surrogate BEFORE a child is conceived. The reason they do these screenings is to check for deformities, and if the parents feel they are not equipped to deal with this then they have the option to terminate. However when they are using a surrogate this must be something they all agree upon before they find out the hard way.

marie

Posted at 9:23 AM on August 31, 2011

In the US most surrogate or gestational carrier agreements have this clause, “If, after learning that the fetus is suffering from an abnormality and receiving a request from the Intended Parents to have an abortion, the Gestational Carrier does not abort the fetus, the Intended Parents’ obligations pursuant to this Agreement shall cease immediately, and she shall not be reimbursed the monthly household or living expenses amount for carrying that fetus” Basically the surrogate will not be paid if she continues the unwanted pregnancy. These are items that should be discussed in advance of any pregnancy and if they are not shame on the intended parents and attorneys.

Misssha

Posted at 10:21 AM on October 13, 2010

OMG. Are you kidding? My son and his wife were told the same thing. Guess what I now have a 5 month old granddaughter who is just fine. No down syndrome of any other health issues. This is such a tragedy. Was the diagnosis even confirmed after the murder.

QFT

Posted at 2:58 PM on October 13, 2010

Diagnosing downs syndrom mid-term is a numbers game. there is no definate answer, only probablilities.
Congratulations to your son and family for “beating the numbers game”

JK

Posted at 4:09 PM on October 19, 2010

The same thing happened to two different couples I know. They were both told the baby would have down’s or some other disability and guess what? Both high risks and in both cases the babies came out fine. Never take the doctor’s word as the final say!

Lorraine Johnson

Posted at 6:29 PM on October 12, 2010

Have the baby and give it 4 adoption.

mary

Posted at 1:54 AM on August 31, 2011

For all those judging you need to read your Bibles. God alone knows their hearts.There are many children who need homes and those with problems have a hard time finding a home.

Pastor Dan

Posted at 2:55 PM on October 11, 2010

Dear Jesus,
Please help all those who judge this brave couple and the and the beautiful surrogate mother to see their own selfish and arrogant ways. Evil has come into their hearts and clouded their soul and led them to believe in your name falsely.
And I pray to you Jesus that you forgive those who do bring such a tortured being into this world for their own personal satisfaction and misguided sanctimony. They’ve just been mislead. They know not of true faith righteousness.

In Jesus name I pray,
Amen

Tom

Posted at 12:45 AM on October 17, 2010

Unimaginable that anyone who believes in god could justify abortion.

JENEA

Posted at 1:49 PM on December 3, 2010

Paster Dan, Are you saying that babies w/ Downs SHOULD be aborted??? Do you not realize how many high functioning people ther eare out there w/ Downs? Are you not familiar w/ how they determine if a baby will have Downs the first Trimester? It’s nothing more than a series of questions asked and put into a computer then the computer anilizes it and tells you rather or not yoru baby has a chance of having Downs. Plus they measure how far apart the eyes are and the size of the skull. IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER!!! I think this is stupid! I voted not to have the tests done because the only way to find out for sure is through an amnio. I have had several friends who were told their babies would most likely have Downs and then had healthy babies. Plus PASTER DAN, do you not believe GOD makes all life to be cherished and loved as it is. GOD created these children the way they are for us to except them and love them and I believe to learn from them as well.

Serena

Posted at 12:14 PM on December 21, 2010

Adolf Hitler NOT Jesus believed that children with Down Syndrome were “tortured beings.”

Jesus loved and came to those who were “tortured and crippled.” He loved them and said they would “inherit the earth.”

Hitler on the other hand, was very happy to rid the world of those “tortured” beings.

Mike

Posted at 3:52 AM on August 31, 2011

OMG you should really shut the hell up, Serena. I’m guessing you dont have a kid or a kid with downs syndrome of your own. That’s why you’re talking so much trash about people who have been through this or can see the logic behind that couple’s decision. Get a kid with downs syndrome you have to take care of yourself. Then start talking trash after you’ve taken care of him/her for 18 years and still manage to come out smiling. B*tch.

Disappointed in society today

Posted at 6:24 PM on January 4, 2011

I would not have an abortion. I would not regardless of the situation. Abortion hurts. My husband carries deep regret over a child he conceived with a girlfriend years ago. As soon as the act took place, this then very liberal man, knew it was wrong and regretted it. He will never get over it fully.

Abortion also increases numerous health risks for the woman carrying the child.

My second born just turned 6, and has been challenging, at best. Just a couple months ago she was diagnosed with Autism. It is not easy, but she is incredible. I adore this amazing child, despite how difficult it is at times. She is such a valuable person… how could anyone truly believe otherwise about a human being?

I am pretty sure “Pastor Dan” is no true minister. No, I am positive… and some of the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Wow.

If I were physically able to become a surrogate, I would do so only for someone who valued life in whatever form it arrived, and would be sure the contract stated I would not be asked or required to undergo such a dangerous and murderous procedure.

Life is precious, and should be treated as such.

Serena

Posted at 9:40 AM on February 13, 2011

I hope Pastor Dan dies of ASS CANCER.

Anyone who thinks that people born with Down Syndrome are just pieces of crap should die of ass cancer.

I’m sure many liberals who hate people with Down Syndrome and pastor dan were born through their mother’s ass and not her vagina

Barbara

Posted at 12:24 AM on August 31, 2011

Pastor Dan,
You’re calling the couple “brave” and the surrogate “beautiful”, and saying the people who disagree with their decision to kill a baby that wasn’t perfect are “selfish” and “arrogant”. You also call the baby “tortured”. Do you even know anyone with Down Syndrome? I have a beautiful 11-year old daughter who is not “tortured”, and I was not “selfish”or “arrogant” to bring her into this world. We didn’t know before she was born that she would have Down Syndrome, but would not have aborted her if we had. You are a “pastor”, but don’t you know God created this baby the way she is? She is an incredible blessing to everyone she meets! I’m not saying there aren’t problems, but so-called “normal” children have problems, too. It’s unfortunate you are so blinded that you can’t see how everyone is created in the image of God, even those who you see as “tortured”.

amanda

Posted at 2:24 PM on October 11, 2010

I agree with John here. what is wrong with some people? do you not understand how evil you are?

john

Posted at 2:22 PM on October 11, 2010

“how they would feel if their parents decided they didn’t want them because of some imperfection which I have no doubt they have many”

how do you know you werent aborted many times? Jesus told me I was aborted 4 times before i recieved this body.

Janie

Posted at 10:50 PM on October 11, 2010

Not trying to argue your beliefs, but we only get one life in this world. We live, we die and our eternal home is the result of whether we choose God or not. There is no re-incarnantion.

strawberry shake

Posted at 8:32 PM on October 13, 2010

have you ever thought how hard it is to raise a child with disabilities? What if you know you cannot afford it? Isn’t bringing a disabled child into this world rather selfish? You stop playing God and preaching. Involving a surrogate mother is not a god’s gift, but a science’s gift. Enough already you religious fanatic!

Kristal

Posted at 9:39 AM on March 14, 2011

My name is Kristal and I’m a 2L at a Law School. Abortion is a very sensitive topic for me because the doctors basically told my mom she should abort me. It made and still makes me sick that that could ever be an option in someone’s life.

Up until my mom went into labor with me, there was no hint at the fact that I would have a physical disability. When she went into labor, the doctors thought that I had heart problems and my mom was flown to the University hospital. Once there, several doctors performed tests on me to determine my condition. Eventually, my mom was told that my brain was in a mass at the base of the back of my head and there was another mass at the base of my spine. I did not have any arms or legs and I had a mineral deficiency so whatever bones I did have would break during a natural birth. I also had heart and lung problems.

After being put through all the tests and learning of her baby’s condition, my mother was brought to a hospital room where she waited for my dad’s arrival. He was unable to fly with my mom, so had to make the 120 mile drive, while my mother was alone at the hospital.

The next morning there were more tests and my parents were given two options. (1) My mom could have me naturally, but due to my mineral deficiency, my skull would be crushed and I would die. (2) A cesarean section and I would have a chance at life. My parents knew that there really was only one option and that I would be born through a cesarean section. The doctor then questioned my mother and whether she was sure she would be ok with having a scar on her stomach.

That afternoon, I was born and to the doctors’ surprise, I had no heart or lung problems, no mineral deficiency, my brains and spinal cord were intact, and I even had arms and legs. However, my arms and legs did not work like they should. My parents brought me home and for that I will be forever grateful.

Here is an excerpt written by my mom:
Every two weeks for six months we were told by a doctor to institutionalize our physically challenged baby girl. She won’t amount to anything. She will just ruin your lives. These opinions are contrary to our beliefs and contrary to what the bible says.
These doctors probably didn’t know the God I know. The day after my daughter’s birth, I took my bible and devotional book and read about an amazing answer to prayer that saved a baby’s life in Zaire. “The Lord hears the prayers of the righteous” Proverbs 15:29. The bible also says, “You are the God who performs miracles; You display Your power among the nations” Psalm 77:14.
God performed a miracle the day my daughter was conceived, the day she was born, the day she smiled, the day she could sit up by herself, the day she was potty trained, the day she walked with a walker while she was wearing leg braces, the day she went to kindergarten to the day she began law school. “God raised us up for this very purpose, that He might display His power in us and that His name might be proclaimed in all the earth” Romans 9:17.
Why was the man born blind? Why was my daughter born with physically challenged arms and legs? Jesus said, “this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his/her life” John 9:3b.

My life is just one instance where the doctors have their role confused with God. Any time they abort an unborn child they are portraying themselves as authors of life. God is the author of life and the only one that determines our value. One quote I have come across is particularly bewildering to me. In referring to persons with disabilities, a doctor makes the following statement: “So the place for euthanasia, I believe, is for the completely hopeless defective: nature’s mistake: something we hustle out of sight, which should never have been seen at all. These should be relieved of the burden of living, because for them the burden of living at no time can produce any good thing at all … For us to allow them to continue such a living is sheer sentimentality, and cruel too; we deny them as much solace as we give our stricken horse. Here we may most kindly kill, and have no fear of error.”

How do doctors think they know what kind of life a child is going to live before she is even born? The ability for a doctor to say that an unborn child doesn’t have an absolute right to life is beyond me. Further, basing this decision on the child’s capability is purely illogical. There is no single person who possesses every skill or talent imaginable. To say that limitations are weaknesses would mean that each person is weak. We were all created uniquely and because of that, each individual is necessary and valuable. If we existed without limitations, we would be self-sufficient and, therefore, no one would have value. Value does not come from our abilities. God created us in His image and because of the blood of Jesus we have value.

john

Posted at 2:20 PM on October 11, 2010

wow we have such misguided and perturbed values around here. how disgustiging that people find it okay to bring a human organism so flawed into this world. do you not ever consider how selfish you are being?

Janie

Posted at 10:48 PM on October 11, 2010

God doesn’t make mistakes. Every child, no matter what imperfection they have, is from God. For anyone who has ever met a person with Down’s Syndrome, they are the purest example of true love and acceptance. They love everyone and accept everyone and truly are a joy.

Jo

Posted at 1:32 PM on October 11, 2010

That’s a homicide! Who do they think they are, we don’t have control to even know if we’ll be alive tomorrow! Why do they act like “killing” is ok?!!! What will be of this world!!!

Ronda

Posted at 1:47 PM on October 11, 2010

I couldn’t agree more. I have a daughter who is handicapped and an absolute joy. Who the he** do people think they are when they think they can play God with a life, did you hear me I said a LIFE? You are given certain things in your life for a reason and every person is here for a reason… the people involved in this murder are disgusting and have no right to be given a child… God forbid if you were to be given a child that that child is found to have an imperfection, which I’m sure it will at some point and then what, will you just put the child at the curb for the trash man to pick up? Geez, people what is wrong with society today????????

Ronda

Posted at 1:58 PM on October 11, 2010

One more thing… I’m curious as to how these people involved in this murder, which the government titles as abortion so it can take the burden of guilt off of idiots who are in favor of this unGodly act, how they would feel if their parents decided they didn’t want them because of some imperfection which I have no doubt they have many… this infuriates me…. a child is taken from this world because he or she may not be seen as being “normal” and yet the horrible people, who obviously have serious issues themsevles or they would have never pursued or pushed for this to happen, are allowed to walk freely along with the female who agreed to this when they should be punished for MURDER!!!!! You killed a living human being idiots… don’t you get this?????

Ashley

Posted at 1:21 PM on October 11, 2010

I’m not surprised that no one has spoken up in favor of the decision that was made because every comment is against this choice. So, I will be brave. My brother is adopted. I am much younger than him, and my family met him at the age of 15. The adoption was final at age 17. This is an unusual case compared to most children who are adopted, though. Many of you have thrown in that there are many couples who would love to adopt a child with Down syndrome. I would like to know how many of you would actually do it though. Most parents, who adopt for whatever reason, want a brand new baby. The reason we need foster homes is because no one wants to adopt a perfectly healthy child who is even as young as a toddler. So, the chances that a child with Down syndrome would be adopted and never go back into the adoption system again are slim. I would like to challenge each and every one of you to go adopt a child with a disability at any age or a child over the age of 10. There are plenty of them, and there are plenty of people who want children but are unable to conceive. Many children who go through life never being adopted are set free to the world around age 18 to make it on their own. Many of these children resort to crime and end up in prison. A person put up for adoption who has something like Down syndrome would very likely be kept by the state until they pass away. Think long and hard about this. If adoptive parents can be selective by age, race, hair color (and very few people adopt a child blindly), then they will take Down syndrome and the patience and expense that comes with that into consideration as well.

john

Posted at 1:21 PM on October 11, 2010

what a great and courageous couple of human being for not bringing another organism to fruit!!! its a bit selfish they wanted to make a baby in the first place but at least now they didnt. but you have to forgive them for following their biological drives. i wish we had more compassionate souls like this in the world.

Ronda

Posted at 2:01 PM on October 11, 2010

Killing is NOT compassion it is killing… geez

josette

Posted at 12:49 PM on October 11, 2010

I agree with everyone of you…They should not be able to every have children..What if a normal child would make a mistake..They would kill it because he/she wasn’t perfect..The surrogate mother should had kept it and gave it to a couple that would love it for who she/he might be..

amy

Posted at 12:43 PM on October 11, 2010

Horrendous!! As i read the article, i was hoping to read that the surrogate would stick to her conscious and keep the baby. No child is perfect. None of us is perfect. Who are we to say what perfection is or should look like? Shame on all three. They do not deserve to be parents or a surrogate.

josette

Posted at 12:42 PM on October 11, 2010

I agree with Janie..They should not be aloud to have any children.. This just show’s you what kind of Parent will these people be..Please don’t let them try again…

jc

Posted at 12:42 PM on October 11, 2010

Just not sure why they figured the choices were either abort or keep. They still had the option of adoption, I’m sure, if they felt they couldn’t care for the child. Hate to hear stories like that, builds up an anger with no place to vent. It’s hard not to get angry when the helpless are at the whim of callous idiots.

stacy

Posted at 12:27 PM on October 11, 2010

It is a huge load of bullsh*t. My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for years and can’t. I wouldn’t care if I ended up with a baby with downs, I have a nephew who has it. There must be reasons why they needed a surrogate (unless it was for selfish reasons like she didn’t want to lose her figure), they should’ve been happy with what they got.

Natalie

Posted at 12:11 PM on October 11, 2010

It’s a tragedy that statistics show that greater than 80-90% of all babies suspected of having Down’s Syndrome are aborted; and yet people with Down’s Syndrome are some of the most loving and sweet people with challenges that can be overcome with the help of loving parents, doctors, therapists, and teachers. Life begins and should be protected from the moment of conception and our value should not be based on whether we are wanted or not. The biological parents were acting in their own best interests, not in the best interests of the child. If the child was born with Down’s Syndrome and the parents did not wish to care for him/her, the loving solution would be to allow the baby to be adopted by either the surrogate or another couple.

Q

Posted at 11:43 AM on October 11, 2010

What if the parents had a perfectly healthy baby who was diagnosed with cancer or a heart issue in childhood, would they turn their back on that child? Of all the things your child could have, Down Syndrome is nothing. I would be honored to have a child so special. If I were the surrogate I would have kept the baby and counted my blessings every day.

samantha

Posted at 11:31 AM on October 11, 2010

I agree with the comments so far! What a selfish couple! The surrogate was almost wholey part of the murder though! She could have carried the baby to term. And at her choice even given it away for adoption. And oh my gosh, I know some loving couple would have even taken in, and be blessed because of it- the downs syndrome baby!! Obviously the couple is messed up in the head, and so inconvenieced to have the baby, selective nature says they probably should have stayed away from the baby department anyway. And shouldn’t the parents of that couple thought that they might have some mental misfits of their hands and aborted them? ( of course I say that sarcastically..)

Teresa

Posted at 10:33 AM on October 11, 2010

My friend was expecting a child and the doctor told her it would more than likely be down syndrome. Well, the doctors don’t know everything. The child is now 10 years old, completely normal, and full of life. This Canadian couple wanted this child. They had a surrogate to carry it, but because it may not have been perfect they no longer felt it was FAIR to make them keep it. This couple is selfish, vain, and hypocritical. I wonder if this couple planted a flower garden and the buds were starting to sprout towards the west instead of the east; would they pluck them up and replant a new garden? Oh, course it isn’t the same as a living child. They would let the flowers contiue to grow, but they feel justified in killing a baby while it’s still growing just like the buds of the flowers. This is murder people, no matter how you reason it out. It is a living child growing. How many scientist have we murdered in the name of abortion? Did we kill anyone who could have invented a cure for cancer? Did we kill anyone who could have found a cure for aids? YOU GET THE PICTURE!!!!!

Janie

Posted at 10:29 AM on October 11, 2010

Absolutely shameful on behalf of the biological parents! To decide to kill a child because he or she “might” be born with an imperfection. Disgusting! Of course, no one wants to have a child with a disability, but we should be willing to accept any child given to us and love that child unconditionally. I actually know a couple who almost aborted in their first trimester as well, because the doctor said the baby “might” be born with Down’s Syndrome. Well, they decided to keep the baby and he was born perfectly healthy! Imagine if they had killed him!!

LMLois

Posted at 10:47 AM on October 11, 2010

I quite agree!!

lsb

Posted at 11:28 AM on October 11, 2010

I second that agreement, now they will never know the joy they would have had with that child.

j whoopi