AMAZING STORY: Justin Bieber’s Mom Talks About Recovering From Drugs, Alcohol & Crime To Raising The World’s Biggest Pop Star!

Mon, October 4, 2010 3:41pm EDT by 19 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

Justin Bieber’s mom, Pattie Mallette, was sexually abused as a little girl and went on to mask her pain with drugs, alcohol and sex, until a suicide attempt led to a healthier life — watch her incredible story and even see little Justin make an appearance!

Justin Bieber may be one of the most successful pop stars in the world right now, but his mom Pattie Mallette‘s upbringing was an entirely different — and much sadder — story. As a little girl, Pattie was sexually abused by her stepfather and didn’t tell anyone. Years later, Pattie turned to sex, violence, drugs and alcohol to mask her pain and only turned her life around after she tried to commit suicide.

“Way too many young girls are sexually violated. The sexual abuse started when I was five until I was 10. It was sort of known you didn’t say anything. My father left when I was three. My mother remarried. It was a pretty broken home,” Pattie, who had Justin out of wedlock when she was 18, said on the Canadian Christian talk show, 100 Huntley Street, in 2008.

She added, “When I became a teen I started experimenting with drugs, alcohol [and crime] to numb the pain…I was pretty much high or drunk from the time I woke up, to the time I went to bed. I left home when I was 15. I lived a life of sin, drugs, alcohol and stealing.”

Sadly, Pattie began to feel hopeless and miserable and decided to end her own life.

“I tried to kill myself by standing in front of a truck,” she said. “I wound up in the mental ward for trying to commit suicide.”

Thankfully, a community mentor visited the distraught teen in the hospital and inspired her to change her life. Only a couple years later, Pattie gave birth to her first and only child, Justin, when she was 18 years old. Although she wasn’t doing drugs or stealing, Pattie had a difficult time financially.

“As a single mother [I sometimes said], ‘I have no idea how I’m going to feed Justin,'” she explained.

When Justin was 14, his YouTube music videos were discovered and he immediately launched into fame. At the time of this talk show interview, he had just signed with Usher and was about to move from Stratford, Ontario Canada to the U.S.

Said Pattie about her son, “He’s got the biggest heart. I don’t deserve it one bit from my own doing, from what I’ve done. It’s just the goodness of God.”

Can you believe Justin Bieber came from such humble beginnings? Watch his mom’s inspiring story below:

Part I:

Loading video...

Part II:
Loading video...

Part III:
Loading video...

Part IV:
Loading video...

–Kirstin Benson, with reporting by Aimee Curran

honey

Posted at 8:31 AM on January 20, 2014

Omg.
i love mom patty she’s good mom ever.
im so proud of youre mom Justin.

i love bieber.

Justin Beiber (the real one)

Posted at 12:04 PM on September 1, 2013

Whaaaaaaaa ? Hot ?!? She looks like a slag !
P.S if you weren’t such mindless drones I really wouldn’t seem that amazing !

kk

Posted at 5:30 PM on December 16, 2012

i love patty she is so inspiring and i love justin !!!!!!!!

Penis

Posted at 9:50 AM on January 26, 2012

She is a huge slut.

kk

Posted at 5:30 PM on December 16, 2012

you suck

Monica

Posted at 6:29 PM on December 6, 2011

Like 4 years later i watch this again and still am amazed.Pattie Mallette is one of my biggest inspirations.

Fiyin

Posted at 12:26 PM on March 25, 2011

I’m really sorry about what happened to your mum, I hope she is doing well and you also xx:)

rocio

Posted at 10:19 PM on October 8, 2010

lamento lo que paso la mama de justin y me alegro que en esa familia no alla secretos y me encanta como lo supera rapidamente la familia

Catalina

Posted at 3:31 PM on October 8, 2010

justin bieber l love jijiji

katerine

Posted at 1:01 PM on October 8, 2010

hola coomo0 estas es verdad que eres gaiii o es mentira dame tu menseger

Alyyyy

Posted at 10:06 PM on October 6, 2010

I’m so happy that she decided to turn her life around after that. She’s a really good mom. :)

Justin Bieber

Posted at 8:34 PM on October 17, 2010

Thank you for saying my mom is a good mom. she really is and im glad her past is long gone and she has a bright future here.

gabrial jones

Posted at 9:29 PM on December 28, 2010

justin bieber like i care u r so gay i can not believe girls like u,u little baby u r such a girl

gabrial jones

Posted at 9:32 PM on December 28, 2010

jk ;)

Jess

Posted at 2:35 PM on January 29, 2012

LOL your PATHETIC. if you haven’t noticed it’s been 4 years & he got older. And it’s obvious your jealous that girls like him.. Maybe if you listened to his music & learned about how amazing he is, you wouldn’t hate on him.

laura

Posted at 10:48 AM on January 9, 2011

stupid

Tia

Posted at 1:40 AM on March 5, 2011

Justin Bieber mom is a good person :)

taylor

Posted at 4:21 PM on April 19, 2012

justin i’m really nsorry that usher killed your mom i hate usher

bull

Posted at 5:16 PM on October 4, 2010

OMG!!!

justin biebers mom is a hotty!!!she single?