Tragic News: Gordon Ramsay Chef Joseph Cerniglia Found Dead In Hudson River

Tue, September 28, 2010 9:07am EDT by 9 Comments
Courtesy of Fox
Courtesy of Fox

Courtesy of Fox

Ironically, Gordon Ramsay once told Joseph his business was going to ‘swim down the Hudson.’

Kitchen Nightmares chef Joseph Cerniglia, 39, was found dead Sept. 24 in New York’s Hudson River after reportedly jumping from the George Washington Bridge. His death has officially been ruled a suicide by the New York Medical Examiner’s Office. But along with the horrific news, many people are reflecting back on a 2007 episode of FOX’s Kitchen Nightmares on which Gordon Ramsay told Joseph his business was going to “swim down the Hudson.”

Certainly not the best choice of words, but Gordon couldn’t have possibly predicted what would unfold three years later.

Joseph, who owned New Jersey restaurant Campania, said he was about $80,000 in debt at the time of the show’s taping — and his family showed concern over how he was handling the pressure.

“I worry about Joe,” his mother Pat said on the show. “I worry about his stress levels.”

But a frequent patron of Campania has only the nicest things to say about the late chef:

“He was just so interested in food and so animated,” says Jill Hanifan. “He even made you want to eat things you didn’t like. He would sit down and talk to you about food, about growing food. I had made some green tomato relish, and he let me talk. He wasn’t just about me, me, me, I, I, I.”

Julie Allen

Posted at 11:46 PM on August 15, 2012

Having a family member with depression, though I can never know how it feels to be them, I see the devastating effects it can have. Not only the on the person suffering from it, but those that love & care about them. I’m so sick of people saying “just get over it!” or “why can’t you snap out of it?”. People don’t realize that it’s not that easy. No one “chooses” to be depressed, they don’t “cause” it or make it happen. I watched this episode of “Kitchen Nightmares” & really liked this chef. I hope this continues to raise awareness about mental illness & my prayers are with his family.

Marie LeMarble

Posted at 7:18 PM on August 11, 2011

Depression is very much an ugly monster to live with. It cannot be dealt with alone. I have attempted suicide at least once and painfully had a hose shoved through my nose, sinuses down my throat into my stomach to pump my stomach. I finally met an advocate, someone to help me and enabled me to get good medication that took the insanity away. It took years of therapy and medication but now I only have P.T.S.D but sadly also mental illness. I know taking medication is something I will do the rest of my life. But, I am in recovery from symptoms and have recovered from depression, thank God! I must always resolve to stay opptomistic happiness is created.

tina

Posted at 7:55 AM on September 29, 2010

I sincerely hope they are not trying to say Gordon pushed him over the edge. Give me a break. No one can do anything to you to cause you to kill yourself. That is your own issue. That is like saying oh I had the gun in my hand and the gun’s trigger just went off all by its little old self. Or people blaming guns for killing people so lets get rid of them. People cause their own problems in life and the only way to fix them is by doing it yourself. Not even self-help or shrinks I believe do much good. If someone wants to change they will by their own will. I speak from personal experience as I was in a massively abusive relationship for 5yrs and was talked to about getting out til I was blue in the face but until I decided to say to hell with it and wake up I was never going to leave. I day I gathered my courage and dignity and said see ya. After that I became so strong that I don’t let anything get to me. I love life and love what I have become and just incredibly happy with me.

Marie LeMarble

Posted at 7:26 PM on August 11, 2011

Being a miserable person and being a fearful person and being aperson stupid enough to take an abusive relationship is not comparable to suicide. People who commit suicide are suffering from a severe illness called DEPPRESSION. Which is not a normal part of the human condition as is misery, fearful, and stupidity…

fjghj

Posted at 10:45 PM on September 28, 2010

Wow,Search ” MY DISCOUNT BAG ” on google to get the designer luxury bags,MY DISCOUNT BAG is just for fashion ladies.As louis vuitton ,chanel,Hermes,etc.Free wallet promotion is now.Silk Scarf , Belts , Jewellery ,UGG boots

Maritine

Posted at 6:08 PM on September 28, 2010

You guys should change your heading. Putting Gordon Ramsey’s name first makes it appear he was the one committing suicide-which is false. The things the media will do to get a hit. It’s Pathetic.

gbtw

Posted at 10:07 AM on September 28, 2010

very sad. i don’t blame anyone for this, because it’s a tragic personal decision, but ramsay’s tirades are unnecessary and talking to someone in such a manner is not okay under any circumstances. we’re all people and we’re all doing what we can to get through life the best we can- if everyone remembered that before directing our frustrations outward at others, it’d be a much better place to live, on this earth. people should be kind to each other, and meaness should not be so celebrated (from ramsay’s type, to perez’).

Abbey

Posted at 9:21 AM on September 28, 2010

How sad, why did anyone give him a cooking show? Seems to me that he had a passion for food and was a great chef. A show could have brought him back financially. To think we have such crap on like Reality Shows that there is nothing to learn from when they could put on some decent shows like more cooking and gardening shows.

sue

Posted at 2:29 AM on February 24, 2012

Cooking and gardening? What a good little girl scout you are.