EXCLUSIVE! Demi Lovato Reveals That One Of Her Tattoos Reminds Her Of A 'Dark Time' In Her Life!

Fri, September 24, 2010 12:43pm EDT by 9 Comments

Could Demi be talking about her split from Joe Jonas?

Demi Lovato is certainly trying to prove she’s not a child anymore!  In addition to her sexy new look, the Disney darling reveals that she’s got multiple tattoos and piercings — AND has been through a “dark time.”

“I already have tattoos and piercings. I have one [tattoo] behind my ear and one on my ribs. The other day I pierced my ear; I got my cartilage pierced,” the 18-year-old Camp Rock 2 starlet told HollywoodLife.com exclusively during a phone  chat. “It’s not that cool or whatever but I decided I really wanted to do it, so it was the first time I didn’t need anybody there like a parent. But I want more [tattoos] and I’m excited to be able to just like call a friend and be like, ‘I want a tattoo, let’s go.'”

But what does all this body art MEAN to the seemingly sweet young actress — and what, exactly, does she have imprinted on her body forever and ever? “I have a feather behind my ear, and it honestly doesn’t mean anything. I just think it’s cute. It’s a light blue feather, but it looks more like a leaf, so I gotta fix it,” she said, before adding, “I have a side piece that says ‘You Make Me Beautiful’ and it’s a song by Bethany Dillon. The words were so encouraging and lifted me through a really dark time in my life. It’s kind of a Christian tattoo, so for me it’s religious, but it could be for anybody.”

Dark time, eh? Could Demi be talking about her split from ex-boyfriend Joe Jonas? The former BFFs broke up in May of this year after only two months of dating; he started dating Twilight star Ashley Greene soon after and even brought her on tour with he and Demi! Ouch.

Perhaps that’s why Demi is changing things up! In addition to her tattoos and piercings, she’s been dressing sexier — just check out the LBD she wore onstage at the Shoreline  Amphitheatre in Mountain View, Calif. Sept. 18 and you be the judge!

Although we’re guessing there’s another reason behind her new look, Demi denies it. “No, I’m just changing it because I’m getting older and I feel more comfortable in things that make me feel more confident!”

Laura Schreffler & Aimee Curran

d. woods

Posted at 9:04 AM on April 14, 2011

I believe that she does not understand the Christian religion. If she did, she would not be getting tattoos to help encourage her! She needs a relationship with God! Celebs get lost when they enter the lime light and don’t know how to handle it!

thegabieleeband

Posted at 4:43 PM on January 26, 2012

true true.

Beth

Posted at 11:02 PM on February 5, 2011

The song itself is about eating disorders and self harm,it’s a lovely song and a beautiful tattoo!

Kelsey

Posted at 12:06 AM on November 28, 2010

It’s not…it’s about when she was a young teen and was struggling with her weight and bullying. She also was cutting herself when she was fourteen, and so the years from twelve to fifteen were her dark years. That also has contributed to her recent stint in rehab. She has seeken treatment a couple years ago for anger management and therapy to help deal with the grief of her years when she was bullied. I know this for a fact, and you can’t always hear whats on the internet.

herduhh

Posted at 5:47 PM on November 22, 2010

she aint think bout joe outta all them dudes they be sayin she like and “GO OUT WITH” she’s not thinkin bout joe and if she was she wouldnt get no tattoo for or about him pha-haa pow =@

JemiStunner

Posted at 2:49 PM on October 30, 2010

Her “you make me beautiful” tattoo is about a dark time in her life. But it’s really not about Joe.
If you’re a true fan you know that she was bullied severely in middle school. It’s related to that.

Georgia

Posted at 12:13 AM on September 30, 2010

I hope not Joe Joans is a d***

tara

Posted at 10:00 AM on September 26, 2010

ofcourse she’s talking about joe…. joe broke her heart…and she’s in love with him…..

whatever

Posted at 1:38 PM on September 25, 2010

Obviously she’s referring to the time when she was bullied and didn’t have a lot of friends… She talked about the song’s significance to her long before she even dated Joe.

But of course you had to SOMEHOW make it to be about Joe to get people’s attention. : )