KIRSTIN SAYS: I Saw The 'Glee' Premiere & Here Are Six Reasons Why It's The BEST Episode Yet!

Tue, September 21, 2010 6:59pm EDT by 11 Comments
Courtesy Of FOX

Courtesy Of FOX

SPOILER ALERT! I didn’t think it was possible, but McKinley High got even MORE entertaining than before…keep reading to get the inside scoop on the season premiere of Glee!

I’m not going to lie — I thought Glee had lost it’s charm by the end of last season, but just like creator, Ryan Murphy, promised, the award-winning Fox show is coming back with a vengeance. I was at the screening and premiere party last night in Los Angeles and the first episode of the second season is the best EVER. Seriously…here’s why:

• Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) has competition — both literally and figuratively! Actress Dot Jones joins the cast as the new female football coach, Beaste, and gives Sue a run for her money both at the high school and in the comedy realm.

• The person who you’d least expect to see be a cheerleader tries out for the Cheerios…and it’s NOT Puck (Mark Salling). Even Sue’s #1 sidekick, Becky, can’t help but crack up.
  • Charice — the girl who Oprah claims is the most talented in the world — is freaking AMAZING and puts Lea Michele to shame during her huge solo, “Listen,” from Dreamgirls.
  • Justin Bieber has joined the cast! Well, okay…I lied. But his semi-lookalike has! Chord Overstreet — the new series regular — and his luscious blond locks and full lips might send you over the edge. Too bad his character doesn’t seem like he plays for my team…
  • Forget guest stars! The premiere episode actually focuses on the true Gleeks, which is a welcome change. Watch out for Harry Shum Jr. (Mike Chang), his big new story line and his HOT abs. (Cory Monteith, who?) Plus, Heather Morris (Brittany) has the FUNNIEST one liners. I didn’t think they could get better, but they did.
  • THE MUSIC ROCKS. Well, this is an obvious, but I loved seeing other characters besides Mr. Schuester (Matthew Morrison) rap. Opening with Jay-Z‘s “Empire State of Mind” and Lady Gaga‘s “Telephone” = sheer brilliance.

Season two of Glee premieres Sept. 21 — are YOU Gleeking out?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

A

Posted at 4:35 AM on September 24, 2010

I agree with K. And her arm movements were very American Idol.
She is terrific, but I don’t agree that she put Lea Michele to shame. On the contrary, I prefered listening to ‘What I Did For Love’ whereas I had to skip past ‘Listen’.
Michele has a really sweet edge to her voice.

ohwell

Posted at 2:03 PM on September 22, 2010

what i meant is K is bitter about charice.

ohwell

Posted at 2:02 PM on September 22, 2010

^ bitter much!
That charice girl is phenomenal. Just admit it.
I’m not familiar with her until I saw her, she rocked it.

Greg

Posted at 7:22 PM on September 21, 2010

I honestly find your constant need to put down Lea Michele quite funny. I also saw the Glee premiere, and while Charice was great she did not “put Lea Michele to shame.” As you conspicuously failed to mention, Lea has a solo at the end of the episode and it is absolutely lovely.

J

Posted at 7:23 PM on September 21, 2010

I haven’t seen the episode, but I agree about the writer of this article.

K

Posted at 9:03 PM on September 21, 2010

If anything, I thought Lea Michele showed she was better than Charice. She has a sweetness and naturalness to her voice that the Filipino pop singer just doesn’t. Charice’s phrasing bugged me the whole song.

Beth

Posted at 1:27 AM on September 22, 2010

Hmm .. you probably haven’t heard Charice sing with her ‘other’ voice. She’s almost exclusively used her Whitney-esque voice but let me assure you, she has another sweet voice that’s characteristic of singers from her country like Lea Salonga. I hope she gets a chance to let us hear it with an appropriate song.

rose

Posted at 11:40 PM on September 24, 2010

Charice is quite versatile. In “Listen” her voice was strong and powerful, but check out her videos – she can be sweet and melodious, soulful …..

kyrus

Posted at 1:18 PM on December 10, 2010

could not agree more! and even the Tony Award Winning Actress/Broadway Superstar Ms. Lea Salonga confirms and admires Charice versatility!

cardcrusher

Posted at 6:59 AM on November 22, 2010

Right on,K. Charice is annoying due to her cheesy mannerisms.

kyrus

Posted at 1:21 PM on December 10, 2010

for you probably it’s annoying but for me it’s a emotional gestures that create more impact on the song that a singer sings, like Lea Michele… every time she sings, she’s doing this awfully looking face… but it’s how a singer express deeply for a song…