Andy's 'Vampire Diaries' Afterthoughts: These 'Wolves Make Taylor Lautner Look Wimpy & I Like Caroline Better As A Vampire!

Thu, September 16, 2010 9:53pm EDT by 10 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Courtesy of The CW

What a solid follow-up to the season premiere!

Don’t get me wrong, I think Candice Accola is a good actress — but there came to a point last season where I wondered, “How many friends does Elena really need?” Well, if I had a time machine I’d tell my former self that Caroline would soon become awesome. Her emergence as a vampire on the Sept. 16 episode of The Vampire Diaries made it even better than the season premiere. She’s the best addition the show has made since bringing Katherine (Nina “I am very talented” Dobrev) to town.

Granted, I was a little worried that baby vamp Caroline might be a little too much like baby Jessica on True Blood — but as it turns out, seeing a character we already know realize what they are and learn to live with it (or in this case, die and then live with it) is really cool. And speaking of people learning what they really are…

When I first realized that werewolves were going to enter the picture — Tyler’s eyes changing after the accident was a pretty clear message — I was skeptical. I’m not exactly on Team Jacob, I don’t even play such games. But now that we’ve gotten a taste of what the wolves, Tyler (Michael Trevino) and his arm-wrestling uncle Mason (Taylor Kinney), are going to be like, I’m excited. They’re so much cooler and scarier than anything I’ve seen in the Twilight trailers. And next week’s episode looks to have plenty of ‘em.

Here are a few more afterthoughts, in smaller doses:

1. Am I the only one who kept expecting Elena to be revealed as Katherine every 5 minutes? This switching business is making me edgy.
  2. That said, the ending was so chilling and cool. And why doesn’t Stefan (Paul Wesley) fly more often?
  3. They’re in school — so where’s Mr. Saltzman (Matt Davis) at?
  4. Elena is a really lucky girl. Her friends are really cool, even if they are also supernatural and incredibly dangerous.
  5. “God bless Elena, but she does not know the meaning of the world ‘fabulous.'” (Caroline might be the most sugary sweet vampire ever.)
  6. When Caroline told Damon (Ian Salvatore), “You suck,” I didn’t even mind the cheesiness. That’s how much I love Caroline Forbes.
  7. I also love Caroline for restraining herself and not biting Matt (Zach Roerig.) I really hope he doesn’t get killed off tragically.

What did YOU think of the episode? Drop me a comment and let me know what’s on your mind as you continue to absorb all that happened tonight. But first, vote:

— Andy Swift

Bulletish

Posted at 7:16 AM on September 22, 2010

I lake Tyler & Mason his the best!))))

heather

Posted at 12:54 PM on September 17, 2010

i agree with Caroline being waaaay better now, but the way she acted when she tasted the blood was super cheesy. and i also think that she adjusted too easily. it should be a little harder for her to resist. like, she should spend the night w/elena to resist it or something. and stefan shouldn’t fly, it should have been a big jump or something, but i guess i’m getting picky… and i thought jer drank her blood and killed himself. how is he not a vamp? what did i miss?

Andy

Posted at 1:07 PM on September 17, 2010

1. I completely agree about Caroline adjusting too quickly. Vicki went NUTS when she turned… but then, she was on drugs at the time. So maybe that has something to do with it…?

2. As for Jeremy, I’m also disappointed with how easily they wrote their way out of that one. Stefan told Elena that Jeremy ALMOST died but Anna’s blood actually healed him after taking the pills. So LAME!

Dee

Posted at 5:04 AM on September 18, 2010

they went into this whole thing that since Vicki had an addictive personality it was a lot harder for her. Blood just became another drug for her and she had no will power before and even less as a vampire when the thirst for blood is all consuming

Dee

Posted at 5:02 AM on September 18, 2010

Jeremy isn’t a vampire because he had the ring, so he didn’t really die and thus didn’t become a vampire.

Michael

Posted at 1:29 AM on September 17, 2010

I did not realize how hot Caroline could be. Are they going to let the wolves kill her off? I hope not and we’ll see…

Michael

Posted at 1:33 AM on September 17, 2010

I forgot to add that they definately need to bring Alaric into the picture because the normal human that slays vampires is just that extra touch that makes the show as perfect as it is.

Andy

Posted at 1:03 PM on September 17, 2010

True that. It’s starting to look like True Blood — the humans are being outnumbered!

Scarlett

Posted at 10:28 PM on September 16, 2010

I agree with you totally, Andy! My observations: I loved when Caroline resisted biting Matt. Bonnie has become a really annoying character and needs a smackdown. They are seriously stupid for dragging out this whole werewolf thing, does it seriously take that long to work it out? Bring back Alaric! And what are they going to do with Elena’s emo brother now that his vampire girlfriend is dead? And finally… There weren’t nearly enough smoldering pouty shots of Damon and his guyliner in this episode!

Andy

Posted at 10:33 PM on September 16, 2010

Haha! There was indeed a lack of Damon in this one. But I kind of like that they’re focusing on the side characters more. And I still like Bonnie… but she was doing some serious snotting during her crying scene tonight, which sort of pulled me out of the drama.

As for Jeremy… I’m sure he’ll find another reason to get super emo. Or he’ll turn into a vampire. Why not? Everybody else is.