EXCLUSIVE! Sorry ‘Glee,’ The Red Hot Chili Peppers Will Never Give You The Rights To Their Music!

Mon, September 13, 2010 7:00pm EDT by 17 Comments
Courtesy Of Fox, Inset: Getty Images

Courtesy Of Fox, Inset: Getty Images

Red Hot Chili Peppers’ lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, admits to HollywoodLife.com he’s barely heard of Glee and isn’t interested at all in letting the cast sing his songs!

They may be one of the most popular bands in the country, but don’t expect to hear the Red Hot Chili Peppers on the uber-popular Fox show, Glee, any time soon! Not only is the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, completely against the idea, but he doesn’t even know what Glee really IS. Ouch!

“Honestly, I don’t know about Glee,” the 47-year-old lead singer told HollywoodLife.com exclusively at the Surfrider Foundation fundraiser in Malibu, Calif. Sept. 11. “I’ve seen a picture of the Glee thing, but I don’t know what it is really.”

After we described the award-winning musical show to him, Anthony STILL wasn’t into the idea of letting Cory Monteith, Matthew Morrison & co. sing his tunes.

“Generally speaking, that doesn’t excite me,” he admitted. “Nothing against Glee or any of those American Idol type shows, but you know … music that is near and dear to our hearts and the people we wrote it for and play it for, it doesn’t make sense to be seen in a television format. It seems emotionally displaced.”

Anthony isn’t the first one to say no to being on the hit Fox show — Kings of Leon very publicly “refused to sell out” to Glee as well. Lady Gaga, Madonna and Queen have all lent their work…do YOU think RHCP is making a mistake?

–Kirstin Benson

lulu

Posted at 8:50 AM on February 27, 2012

I agree with Anthony’s choice because I love RHCP. But I have to admit that the sense of Glee, so simpleton and unreal doesn’t correspond at all with that of the Red Hot. RHCP’s music is powerful, deep and meaning. They contribute to more serious projects. Thanks God.

Yash

Posted at 11:52 AM on October 11, 2011

I have to agree with Melissa.
I’m also a huge fan of RHCP first, but also of Glee lately.
Though the music doesn’t seem to fit the show choir theme.
Plus, there isn’t a charater that fits the songs!
A big MAYBE to that new Samuel kid who won glee project.
But before they blow it, it’s better they don’t try.
It also comes in handy, that the lyrics of RHCP are slighty abstract, so it wouldn’t goalong with the more narrative style of most Glee songs.
And I can very well imagine Ryan Murphy having too much pride to go begging for the song rights ;)
Bottom line: both are awesome on their own, so why messing it up by mashing it up?

Fraser

Posted at 6:24 AM on November 6, 2010

Glee is gay

Dewbie

Posted at 9:47 AM on September 29, 2010

RHCP music is to deep to be put on television (with the exclusion of certain upbeat songs like Roller Coaster Of Love). Like Anthony, I barely know what Glee is. I think i may check it out after this but if its anything like I think then he made the right decision. Red Hot Chili Peppers Is my favorite band and I plan on having on of their songs played at my funeral. I would probably have to off myself then and there if I heard a bunch of teenagers singing a cheery remake of the music that reflects the hardships that so many of us must suffer. No disrespect to Glee and their fan base but its just not a good fit…oh, and to all the people who think they’re “has beens” and their music “hasn’t been good in years” I want you to go buy/download their cd By The Way,right a nice little note telling the world that you are completly retarded, then promptly remove your ignorant, worthless existence from planet. Thank you.

boots

Posted at 12:21 PM on October 11, 2011

roller coaster of love isnt even their song

Akilem softly

Posted at 3:42 AM on September 19, 2010

I don’t think that they are making a mistake. The majority of people who watch that show are into those pop songs that are commonly featured on it. I’m glad that my red hots don’t care for it or the fact that it’s a hit right now, they’re about the music, they’re about their fans. Their loyal and true fans wouldn’t have it anyother way. The show isn’t their cup of tea it isn’t mine either it just wouldn’t make sense to subject the quality if their music to this kind of show.

They did appear on the simpsons and that makes more sense then being on a show like glee or American idol they’re both more pop minded and that’s not the chili peppers

Melissa

Posted at 4:00 PM on September 15, 2010

I love RHCP, one of my favorite bands of all times,I also love Glee… I wasn’t very much into the idea of watching it, but first time I didI loved it inmediately, I love the stories, love the music, love Sue Sylvester, love everything about that show… having said that, I have to say that I totally agree with Anthony, I don’t want Under the Bridge to be singed Glee style… I couldn’t bare the pain of hearing/watching The Rolling Stones’s You can’t always get wat you want, Aerosmith’s Dream On, and don’t even get me started on The Door’s Hello, I love you, eventhough it was a very good version I couldn’t help but feeling that it didn’t belong there… Glee can choose a gazillion of pop tunes for the show, there are plenty of them and we all will enjoy them very much, I know I do, but leave rock n’ roll to rock n’ rollers please!

niamh

Posted at 6:54 AM on September 15, 2010

I’m a huge Chili’s fan and can’t tolerate Glee so I am happy.I think glee is really cheesy.

Wally

Posted at 2:11 PM on September 14, 2010

RHCP are burnouts and their next album is going to be ridiculous. Also, they’re so “out there” that it’s common to them not to know what’s going on – from fake people posing as them on Twitter, their parents friending their fans and taking their own share of fame…to probably not knowing what day it is today.

Mike

Posted at 7:06 PM on October 12, 2010

@Wally:

That’s weird, people said that about their last album, too, and it was still one of the best albums of the decade. Granted, this will be different without Frusciante, but considering how ingenious the rest of their albums have been, I’m not worried.

Also, who cares if they don’t know every detail of Twitter? It’s completely irrelevant to my life; of course it’s not going to matter to multiplatinum rock stars.

I totally agree that their music wasn’t designed for TV and, as such, doesn’t belong as on TV, even redone in pop format. Good for Kiedis.

ed

Posted at 12:25 PM on September 14, 2010

I remember going to Disney’s California Adventure some years ago. The Roller coaster played Red Hot Chili Peppers Music. So I guess the moral is, Sell out to Disney not to Fox.

Its what everyone's thinking

Posted at 1:25 AM on September 16, 2010

Ha.

Ya...

Posted at 4:57 PM on October 7, 2010

I think this has to do more with the Californian theme of the ride/Disneyland itself. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are very much influenced by the state, and is where the band was raised. They have huge respect for Cali, and I’m sure having their song on an awesome ride at the theme park that’s a total highlight of California itself was a complete honor. Also, it makes that coaster 10x more kick ass.

Priscilla

Posted at 10:24 AM on September 14, 2010

At least one musical artist has the right idea. I can’t stand that show or anything about it.

bette

Posted at 8:57 AM on September 14, 2010

Do I need to cry? I´d rather listen to Bee Gees, ABBA, Bon Jovi, Sting, Diana Ross or Stevie Wonder. Next news please, thank you!

catherine

Posted at 9:03 PM on September 13, 2010

THANK GOD.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers do not belong on Glee.
Also, do they not realize most of their songs are either about sex or drugs?

CaseyMassacre

Posted at 8:26 PM on September 13, 2010

HELL no. That show is horrendous.