EXCLUSIVE: Shantel VanSanten Says Her & Sexy 'One Tree Hill' Co-Star Rob Buckley are 'Inseparable In Real Life'!

Sat, September 11, 2010 6:15pm EDT by 26 Comments

091110_shantal_van_santen_104000714The co-stars even sleep in the same bed!

Backstage at the Jill Stuart runway show during Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week on Sept. 11 we got to catch up with One Tree Hill‘s Shantel VanSanten who dished on her on-set and real life BFF, cutie co-star Robert Buckley!

When asked who her BFF on set is, she quickly said Rob! “Rob and I are like butt buddies, he’s my best friend!”

So, how do the pair of pals spend their time? “We read comics and watch Arrested Development and The Office, we’re inseparable in real life!”

Considering co-stars Sophia Bush and Austin Nichols found love on set, does that mean romance is in the air?

Apparently not! “Um, in real life? He’s my best friend, no no no! I mean we sleep in the same bed and nap together and to have that friendship to me is so important,” she said.

The star also said their connection definitely adds to their on-screen love connection. “Our chemistry is so much better because of it, because most romances come from a friendship so when you have that base in real life it only helps on screen.”

Although Rob’s still available, interested females may have some trouble answering to Shantal who admits to being super protective of her best guy friend!

“I cut them [girls] away I’m pretty much like, ‘Not good enough, that’s not gonna happen, I don’t like her!’ He always laughs at me. he’s like ‘You are a [cock] blocker,’ and I’m like ‘Yea, kind of’.”

Their relationship may be strictly platonic, but either way their connection but on and off screen is super strong — and I’m sure so many gals would die to be in her shoes!

-Katrina Mitzeliotis

katie

Posted at 7:25 PM on September 15, 2012

i dont )': know its so bothering me i wanna cry cant we just all be friends<3

Amanda

Posted at 11:15 PM on January 7, 2012

Why are we all fighting?……

james

Posted at 2:11 AM on January 12, 2011

HAHAHAH you people are idiots I have more insider information that you she hates her, they’re still good friends, they hate each other.. blah blah blah gossip queens and she devil liars hhaha to funny get lives dingle berries

Guest

Posted at 10:29 PM on October 25, 2010

The real dirt with this is she is dating James Lafferty, he and Sophia Bush were dating but when Shantel came on the show, the two of them started having a fling behind Sophia’s back. The two barely speak anymore as Sophia is usually the welcome wagon for new costars on the show..

Jamie

Posted at 9:47 PM on October 30, 2010

It wasn’t behind Sophia’s back, actually. And, Sophia and James weren’t even serious contrary to what some fans like to believe. Neither one of them was broken up over the end of that relationship. Sophia and Austin have been together since April of 2009 and Sophia and James broke up in March of 2009.

Jamie

Posted at 9:59 PM on October 30, 2010

And by the way, Sophia is not the only one who is usually the welcome wagon for new costars. Joy is, too. Joy was the one who invited Torrey DeVitto and Michaela McManus to her house for dinner when they joined the series in season 5. And, Joy is also the one who became instant friends with Shantel when she joined the show last summer.

ChristinaMK

Posted at 2:38 AM on November 27, 2010

Why don’t you get your facts straight. James and Sophia been over long before Shantel came on the show. I know way more inside information than you.

and what you talken about James, Shantel and Sophia hardly speak. That is a lie because they all get along great. So OK.. whatever.

Katie

Posted at 8:47 PM on September 12, 2010

They are not dating.
She is dating Brittany Snow’s ex-boyfriend Michael Johnson.

Jamie

Posted at 9:46 PM on October 30, 2010

Um, no. Shantel was dating Michael way before she ever joined OTH and he broke up with her BEFORE she ever got the part of Quinn on OTH. Nice try, but they broke up over a year and a half ago.

ashley

Posted at 2:28 PM on September 12, 2010

i believe there dating ! when i went down there to wilmy they were adorable together!! BUT ONE TREE HILL STARTS TUES AT 8 HOPE ALL YOU FANS ARE READYYYY!! its gonna be insane naley with baby troubles and clayand quinn oh boy!!!
BRING IT ON BEST SHOW ON CW

Tiffany

Posted at 2:06 AM on September 12, 2010

THEY JUST NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND HAVE A BEAUTIFUL BABY IN 4 YEARS.

Rob and Shantel are my One True Pairing.

Mr and Mrs. Robert Buckley <3

Kelsey

Posted at 2:15 AM on September 12, 2010

I agree big time!!!
They seriously need to just get together and have beautiful babies, get married and live a life together and maybe star in a romantic independent movie together.

Danika

Posted at 1:51 AM on September 12, 2010

Uhm, what on-screen chemistry? They have none. I’d say that friendship they have off screen is actually making their chemistry worse. They have more of a friend/best friend chemistry on screen than a romantic one. Mark&co should have kept Clay/Quinn as a friend pair instead of a romantic pair; it would have worked a lot more.

Christina

Posted at 2:05 AM on September 12, 2010

oh get a life! why do u bother even to comment. idiot.
They have amazing chemistry. so F off! You are really pathetic.

ummm no Clay and Quinn are end-game. So fu*king deal with it.

Michelle

Posted at 1:55 PM on September 12, 2010

Um, Danika is entitled to her opinion. She’s perfectly entitled to not like Clay/Quinn. Your hostility reminds me of the infamous Breyton…

Jamie

Posted at 5:57 PM on September 12, 2010

Thank you! God, some people take things way too personally. I definitely would NOT call Shanel and Rob’s chemistry amazing. I can think of at least 3 or 4 other co-star pairs/close friends in real life I would name before them. If anything, they have a LACK of chemistry.

Kyle

Posted at 6:39 PM on September 12, 2010

Actually, No!
Shantel and Rob have amazing chemistry. Clay/Quinn are end-game.

Jamie

Posted at 7:52 PM on September 12, 2010

That may be YOUR opinion, but people are allowed to have differing opinions. It’s not a fact, it’s an opinion. And, a large majority of the fanbase feels they lack chemistry.

Kelsey

Posted at 10:17 PM on September 11, 2010

awwww that’s so sweet! I’d like to see how Shantel would react to the marraige proposal I wrote in the sand and showed Rob, that he said yes to when I met him…. hahaha they are both very nice people. love them bith. but, I’m sure it’ll end up amounting to something more than just a friendship.

Terry

Posted at 6:57 PM on September 11, 2010

So does that mean i have to give up hope for them to become an item, HELL NO. Just like their characters of Clay and Quinn, they are meant to be.

Jamie

Posted at 9:03 PM on September 11, 2010

LOL Don’t give up hope. What the OTH stars say in interviews and what’s actually going on in real life are two very different things. People around the Wilmington, NC area know the truth about these two, no matter what they claim publicly.

Michelle

Posted at 11:35 PM on September 11, 2010

Please don’t tell me that James Lafferty has to watch another one of his ex girlfriends date somebody else on set. And considering I’ve heard that Rob and James used to be close…I bet that’s a fun set to be on haha. But i’ve always had the feeling that Rob was into Shantel, even when she and James were dating.

Jamie

Posted at 12:03 AM on September 12, 2010

James doesn’t actually care. LOL People make his relationships into more than they actually are. He’s still VERY close to Rob and you can’t just blame Sophia or Shantel for dating other costars. It takes two, so it wasn’t like anybody forced James to become friends with benefits with these girls. He did it of his own free will and certainly wasn’t losing any sleep over breaking up with them or crying over it. He’s been dating a new girl for a few months now, so it’s pretty much a non-issue.

Michelle

Posted at 1:53 PM on September 12, 2010

Yeah my comment came out completely the wrong way. I don’t think anyone is to blame. They’re all entitled to date who they want, and apparently they all like dating each other haha. I just meant that it seems like it would have to be awkward to watch your exgirlfriend, or exboyfriend, move on immediately to another costar. I guess if I were in that situation, I would find it uncomfortable. I don’t mean that in a way that I think it’s wrong of her to move on to another costar, I just think it would be awkward, but I’m sure they know what they’re getting themselves into when they date each other. I have heard that Shantel and James can’t even look at each other on set though, so it sounds like they might have had a messy break up. Who knows though!

Jamie

Posted at 5:55 PM on September 12, 2010

I don’t know where that story came from to be honest with you, because the breakup (the final one, since they were very on and off with each other and always got back together with each other except for this last time) was actually pretty mutual. James and Shantel are actually fine with each other.

Sky

Posted at 4:50 PM on June 21, 2011

okay i know this is super old but since you seem to know everything i thought i’d ask. i had read somewhere that Sophia Bush was pregnant with James Lafferty’s baby and then lost it a few months later, causing their break up. there were several pictures circulating that looked like she had a baby bump. any truth to that or just speculation on a possible truth or not true at all?