From the good – Ricky Gervais’ hilarious stand-up routine – to the bad – Lost should have won! – here are my highlights and lowlights of the 62nd Annual Emmy Awards!
Hey there HollywoodLifers! I had my first Emmy Awards experience last night and let me tell you – aside from some of those monotonous categories (Outstanding Directing in a Miniseries? Yawn) I completely enjoyed my experience! So what were the highlights of the show and Governor’s Ball? Read on, BFFs!
- I was ‘glee’-ful over the opening number! Good music, a lot of laughs, some eye candy and Betty White make for one amazing montage! From Jimmy Fallon‘s epic Bruce Springsteen impersonation to Cory Monteith‘s adorable dumbness (math is not his strong suit) to Jon Hamm’s booty-shake and a surprise appearance from Kate Gosselin, what a brilliant way to bring the funny to this year’s Emmys.
- Jimmy Fallon. Oh, Jimmy, I adore thee! That man should have been born with a guitar in his hand. Although he wasn’t always knock ‘em down laughing hilarious, as long as the late night host was warbling his home-made ditties, he was magic.
- Alexander Skarsgard lights up my life. Whenever the True Blood star passed me, Bette Midler’s “Take My Breath Away” played in my head. I could see a montage of us on the beach, horseback riding and walking hand in hand through the cobbled streets of Sweden (they’re cobbled in my imagination, OK? Let a girl have her fantasies). When we stood together at the Governor’s Ball ordering cocktails from the Grey Goose ice bar, I was in heaven.
- Ricky Gervais needs to be at every awards ceremony. Always. Dare I say it, but Ricky Gervais may be one of the funniest men on the planet. Everything out of his mouth is snarky and amusing – and I love how he took a dig at the Emmy producers for closing the open bar by serving non-alcoholic beer. Watch him diss Mel Gibson HARD and you’ll be a RG convert!
- Jane Lynch FINALLY got an award! Jane has been consistently and relentlessly hilarious in everything from the 40-Year-Old Virgin to Party Down, and it’s about time she got her due recognition. You deserve it, woman!
- Claire Danes forgot to thank her hubby! What’s up with this shittastic trend? First, Scarlett Johansson nearly forgot to thank Ryan Reynolds at the Tony Awards this summer, and now Claire outright ignored her husband of a year, Hugh Dancy, while accepting her Best Actress in a Mini-series award for Temple Grandin. Show some respect!
- Kim Kardashian’s singing. Please, never do it again. Not even Jimmy Fallon and his guitar could make your 10-second ditty any less painful, Kim. Good thing you’ve got so many other careers – beauty, reality TV, fashion, producing – to fall back on!
- Lost lost! Really, Emmys? You take one of the best shows on television that WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE TO WIN and you give the trophy to Mad Men yet again? What a cop out.
- Connie Britton was robbed! Read my above statement, insert Friday Night Light‘s brilliant Texan mom and repeat. A TV travesty if I ever saw one.
- Julia Ormond, you are an epic fail. Who hasn’t heard of Catherine O’Hara? Julia’s long-winded speech – for the inconsequential award of Best Supporting Actress in a Mini-series, no less – was rendered even more irritating when she proceeded to announce it was a pleasure to be nominated with Susan Sarandon, Brenda Vacarro, Kathy Bates and Catherine What’s-Her-Name. Guess we know who’s never going to be asked to star in a Christopher Guest film, hm?
What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? What were your favorite and least favorite Emmy moments? Weigh in below!