LAURA SAYS: Check Out My 10 Best & Worst Moments Of The 2010 Emmys!

Mon, August 30, 2010 6:20pm EST by 16 Comments
Loading video...

From the good – Ricky Gervais’ hilarious stand-up routine – to the bad – Lost should have won! – here are my highlights and lowlights of the 62nd Annual Emmy Awards!

Hey there HollywoodLifers! I had my first Emmy Awards experience last night and let me tell you – aside from some of those monotonous categories (Outstanding Directing in a Miniseries? Yawn) I completely enjoyed my experience! So what were the highlights of the show and Governor’s Ball? Read on, BFFs!

BEST

• I was ‘glee’-ful over the opening number! Good music, a lot of laughs, some eye candy and Betty White make for one amazing montage! From Jimmy Fallon‘s epic Bruce Springsteen impersonation to Cory Monteith‘s adorable dumbness (math is not his strong suit) to Jon Hamm’s booty-shake and a surprise appearance from Kate Gosselin, what a brilliant way to bring the funny to this year’s Emmys.
  • Jimmy Fallon. Oh, Jimmy, I adore thee! That man should have been born with a guitar in his hand. Although he wasn’t always knock ‘em down laughing hilarious, as long as the late night host was warbling his home-made ditties, he was magic.
  • Alexander Skarsgard lights up my life. Whenever the True Blood star passed me, Bette Midler’s “Take My Breath Away” played in my head. I could see a montage of us on the beach, horseback riding and walking hand in hand through the cobbled streets of Sweden (they’re cobbled in my imagination, OK? Let a girl have her fantasies). When we stood together at the Governor’s Ball ordering cocktails from the Grey Goose ice bar, I was in heaven.
  • Ricky Gervais needs to be at every awards ceremony. Always. Dare I say it, but Ricky Gervais may be one of the funniest men on the planet. Everything out of his mouth is snarky and amusing – and I love how he took a dig at the Emmy producers for closing the open bar by serving non-alcoholic beer. Watch him diss Mel Gibson HARD and you’ll be a RG convert!
Loading video...
  • Jane Lynch FINALLY got an award! Jane has been consistently and relentlessly hilarious in everything from the 40-Year-Old Virgin to Party Down, and it’s about time she got her due recognition. You deserve it, woman!

WORST

• Claire Danes forgot to thank her hubby! What’s up with this shittastic trend? First, Scarlett Johansson nearly forgot to thank Ryan Reynolds at the Tony Awards this summer, and now Claire outright ignored her husband of a year, Hugh Dancy, while accepting her Best Actress in a Mini-series award for Temple Grandin. Show some respect!
  • Kim Kardashian’s singing. Please, never do it again. Not even Jimmy Fallon and his guitar could make your 10-second ditty any less painful, Kim. Good thing you’ve got so many other careers – beauty, reality TV, fashion, producing – to fall back on!
  • Lost lost! Really, Emmys? You take one of the best shows on television that WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE TO WIN and you give the trophy to Mad Men yet again? What a cop out.
  • Connie Britton was robbed! Read my above statement, insert Friday Night Light‘s brilliant Texan mom and repeat. A TV travesty if I ever saw one.
  • Julia Ormond, you are an epic fail. Who hasn’t heard of Catherine O’Hara? Julia’s long-winded speech – for the inconsequential award of  Best Supporting Actress in a Mini-series, no less – was rendered even more irritating when she proceeded to announce it was a pleasure to be nominated with Susan Sarandon, Brenda Vacarro, Kathy Bates and Catherine What’s-Her-Name. Guess we know who’s never going to be asked to star in a Christopher Guest film, hm?

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? What were your favorite and least favorite Emmy moments? Weigh in below!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Andy

Posted at 2:00 AM on September 5, 2010

If you are going to write an article about the Emmys, you might want to pay attention to them. Julia Ormond was obviously joking when she said “what’s her name” about Catherine O’Hara…they were BOTH nominated for Temple Grandin and shared many scenes together. So that actually makes your article the epic fail, not Julia Ormond. (who was really wonderful in Temple Grandin and very deserving in my opinion)

andie

Posted at 11:29 AM on September 1, 2010

Ricky Gervais was the highlight of the show! I like Jimmy Fallon, but I think RG should host next year – that Mel Gibson line was genius.

Laura Schreffler

Posted at 4:19 PM on September 1, 2010

I agree, Andie!

parkabuk

Posted at 11:13 PM on August 31, 2010

Mad Men is such a beautiful and artistic show. Lost is nowhere in the same league.

valerie

Posted at 8:42 PM on August 31, 2010

i think you’re 100% right on all accounts!

Diggggger

Posted at 12:55 AM on August 31, 2010

Yeah, maybe she tried — but she still sucked.

Karen

Posted at 12:21 AM on August 31, 2010

I actually kind of liked Kate Gosselin’s dancing. She was trying.

Celeste

Posted at 6:31 PM on August 30, 2010

Ugh. I hate Lea Michele. LOW POINT.

Johanna

Posted at 5:29 PM on August 30, 2010

Favorite: Jim Parsons winning. End of story.

Alana

Posted at 5:08 PM on August 30, 2010

I watched the Emmy’s with my mom. I thought they were really good. Loved opening number. Didn’t care that Lost, lost, never liked the show, I got lost just trying to watch it when it started. Was hoping GLEE would win, but I’m glad the guy from Big Bang Theory won b/c I love that show, it’s so funny.

John Doe

Posted at 4:55 PM on August 30, 2010

I have never watched Lost, and I have never heard of Connie Britton or Alexander Skarsgard.

Paula

Posted at 4:22 PM on August 30, 2010

You are so right on Laura– the opening number was great (I really love you Betty)-thank you Ricky Gervais for your slammin’ liner re: Gibson- no one could have delivered it better (and so well deserved, I might add)
low points for me: Kate Gosselin, Kate Gosselin, & Kate Gosselin (Lea Michelle comes close behind)

gene

Posted at 4:22 PM on August 30, 2010

Oh my were the emmy’s on? I was outside dooin real life thing’s. Spending time with FAMILY & FRIEND’S

Jesyka

Posted at 5:28 PM on August 30, 2010

Then why are you reading this article?

Carol

Posted at 12:34 AM on September 1, 2010

Jesyka – good response! lol

Momar

Posted at 12:37 AM on September 2, 2010

He sure as hell wasn’t out learning how to read.