This Is Completely Bogus — A Montreal Club Placed A Ban On Big Girls! Are You As Outraged As I Am?

Fri, August 13, 2010 4:44pm EST by 7 Comments

Montreal nightclub Muzique says they were joking when they posted a message on their Facebook page reading ‘NO FAT GIRLS ALLOWED!!!!!!’ — but in my opinion, this kind of discrimination is NOT a laughing matter

I’ve heard some serious BS in my life, but I’d have to say this report ranks pretty high on my list of the most ridiculous, unfair and unfortunate things I’ve yet to encounter. A Montreal nightclub has placed a tongue-in-cheek ban on fat girls. Yeah, that’s hilarious.

The Montreal Gazette reports that Canadian club Muzique sent out an invite on its Facebook page reading “NO FAT GIRLS ALLOWED!!!!!” followed by a wink emoticon.  Although the invite – promoting a birthday party for one of the club’s owners – WAS eventually taken down, it wasn’t until after the event actually occurred. Additionally, several scenesters tell them the club frequently judges its clientele based on their looks. While that’s nothing new – and completely unsurprising – outright denying someone entry based on their weight or appearance isn’t just lousy – it’s illegal.

“Everybody knows. (Clubs) are selective,” Stefano Apostolakos, owner of Montreal promotions company SMAN Productions, told the Gazette, adding, “(Discrimination) comes with the right to refuse entrance…[but] they’ll never tell you you can’t come in because of your looks.”

Come on people, get with the program! There is a teensy weensy thumbnail sized number of people on this planet that are considered genetically perfect – and there aren’t enough of those people in existence to fill up YOUR venue on a Friday night.

Look at actresses like Nikki Blonsky, who are considered large by industry standards. Not only is she living the life with a new, hit TV show, Huge, but she doesn’t have to look weight or feel bad about who she is. “I’ve had so many people tell me if I want to get roles, I have to lose weight,” she told the Boston Herald. “Well, I wonder if they’re eating their words – no pun intended – now.”

Nikki herself has told HollywoodLife.com, “I don’t think you need to be stick thin to make it in Hollywood. I think you need to be yourself.”

How dare you attempt to make women feel like they don’t belong, you sizist bastards? We are beautiful and unique because of our flaws and imperfections – and we want nothing to do with your antiquated Hollywood attitude. In fact, we’ll happily hang out at the dive bar right around the corner instead. So yeah, I’m pretty sure Muzique is going to be feeling the outrage from their discrimination right where it counts — in their pockets.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Joe Johnson

Posted at 2:36 PM on August 16, 2010

Wow….so we cannot even joke anymore, how sad. Now a little info on me: I lost 120lbs so I have been the “fat” guy and the “skinny guy” and for people who are “comfortable” in their own skin sure do bitch a lot when a joke is made.

If someone made fun of in shape people it wouldn’t bother me at all…I like who I am. So, I am not sure why fat people (if they are truly happy with their weight) would even glance a second time.

If someone didn’t allow skinny people in a club, I would just never visit that club again.

I know, I know, “people have thyroid problems”, ok, what % of fat people have a thyroid condition? 3%? 4%? Maybe 5%?

Take it as an ex-fatty, the majority of fat people are truly lazy. Sure, they have jobs and I am sure they are great people, but it is easier to sit down, stuff your face and watch T.V. than to get to the gym after work….I know, I used to be that person.

To all the fatties that are upset by this: take the energy you are using to type angry responses at the club and people like me and get in the gym.

You are not “happy” with the way you are, if you were, this would not bug you at all, there are plenty of clubs that will let fat people in, frequent those clubs and let this one sink.

If you are “hurt” or “offended” by this maybe you are not very comfortable in your own skin and should lose the weight?

IMO, not allowing fat people in a place is not discrimination, just like having to buy two airplane tickets is not discrimination.

Discrimination is when you discriminate against something no one has control of, a mental condition, a physical disability, race, sex, etc.

You CHOOSE to be fat by eating too much and not taking part in (or enough of) physical activity.

Truth sucks and for the longest time I was like most of you but once when I actually got off the couch and put down the chips, I now understand all the damage I was doing to myself.

I was an angry fat person like all of you, all you need is just a little self-control and motivation.

Muzique

Posted at 8:11 PM on August 14, 2010

t’s a pity that when something like this finally gets cleared up the story doesnt have the legs of the original negative story. Here’s what really happened, not that anyone’s interested.

New Video interview from the Montreal Gazette (original source of the Muzique “No Fat Girls Allowed” story)

New article in the Montreal Gazette (original source of the Muzique “No Fat Girls Allowed” story)

Bubbles

Posted at 8:08 PM on August 14, 2010

I’ve seen a picture of the inside of the club. The reason they don’t want “fat girls” is that the room is so small four average-sized people would barely fit.

Pamela

Posted at 6:23 PM on August 13, 2010

This is just mean. I don’t care if they say it was suppose to be a joke. THIS IS MEAN.I wouldn’t care if this was my favorite place.After this I would never go back. I hope they have to close. I have friends of all sizes. I love them all the same.
Remember “Fat” people have jobs & spend money also.
I guess their money isn’t good enough.

MEAN MEAN MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scarla

Posted at 5:27 PM on August 13, 2010

That really stinks. It’s 2010 and it’s still a freakin’ man’s world. When do short, fat, bald and ugly guys get turned away? NEVER.

Alli

Posted at 9:28 PM on August 13, 2010

actually, all the time…

Chuck

Posted at 12:20 PM on August 18, 2010

Women are just as shallow as men. How often do you see good looking women with short, fat, bald men who don’t have lots of money??