Are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Mostly Male Entourage Having an Effect on Shiloh?

Fri, August 13, 2010 9:20am EDT by 7 Comments
Splashnews.com

Splashnews.com

With three male minders keeping a constant eye on Brad and Angelina’s six kids, an expert tells HollywoodLife.com that these men could be influencing Shiloh’s sense of style and identity.

An interview with Angelina Jolie in the UK’s Telegraph newspaper reveals some interesting insights into the Jolie-Pitt home. The journalist writing the story reported seeing four of Brad Pitt and Angelina’s six children “playing outside in the swimming pool, watched over by a nanny and three male ‘minders.'” They say it takes a village to raise a large family, and Brad, 46, and Angelina, 35, have surrounded themselves with a sizable entourage, but it seems that most of them are men. An expert tells HollywoodLife.com that this dominating male presence in Shiloh’s life could be one of the reasons why she dresses like a tomboy and demands to be called John.

“If she has all these peo0le around her all the time, Shiloh and her siblings are all going to want to carve out their own niche, which could explain why she is trying to create a strong identity,” says Rebecca Roy, a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in the entertainment industry. The unconventional family dynamics and constant travel are certainly shaping the Jolie-Pitt children, and Roy suggests that perhaps the male bodyguards around Shiloh “make her feel safe, and by wearing male clothes, she feels safe.”

But there could be a reason that hits much closer to the 4-year-old’s heart. “Shiloh is right in the middle of all those kids and she identifies strongly with her father,” Roy says. “She may be feeling that she wants Brad to see her as an extension of him.” But Roy stresses that it’s important not to read too much into the behavior of a young child who likes to dress like her dad, wear boys’ swim trunks and occasionally masquerade as a pirate — “she’s just trying to find out who she is.”

While Shiloh is clearly daddy’s little girl, she’s going to get to spend lots of quality time with mom Angelina, as the actress says in the Telegraph story that she’s taking a break for the rest of 2010. The Salt star denies, however, that she’s retiring. At least not yet.

“I’ll be working strongly for the next few years, doing the projects I love most and the films that are important to me and then after that I’ll only do a film every once in a while — one that matters,” Angie says. “I don’t know what the future has in store and I don’t know what my children are going to demand of me as they get older, but I know Brad and I are going to focus on working for the next few years, then after that we’re going to spend a lot of time just travelling with the children and working on other things together.”

Despite the entourage of nannys, cooks, bodyguards and assorted bottle washers, Angelina makes it clear that her kids come first. “My family is both my strength and my weakness,” she says. “I love them deeply and if anything happened to them it would break me. I could have the worst day in the world with people saying the most horrible things about me but I go home and my kids love me and I feel like the most important person in the world.”

ellen

Posted at 3:27 AM on August 14, 2010

Bonnie – You know this has nothing to do with what Shiloh wants. Angie has been dressing Shiloh in boys cloths since she was a baby. The outfit she dressed Shiloh in for the first People picture was a blue outfit with skullcap and it was from a store that is for boys only.
Please stop with the psychoanalysis and go after the real story here. WHY IS ANGIE DRESSING HER DAUGHTER IN BOYS CLOTHES. Please EXPOSE this Bonnie.

cristal

Posted at 10:05 AM on August 14, 2010

Putting a baby girl in a blue outfit with a skull and crossbones t-shirt for a feature cover on People was kind of bizarre. It didn’t need to be a frilly girly outfit but why go to the other extreme? I’m starting to wonder myself what Angelina Jolie is up to since there does seem to be a pattern started since Shiloh was a baby. And that isn’t cool.

jai

Posted at 4:04 PM on August 13, 2010

There is a possibility that this child is a transman waiting to happen. If that is the case, so be it. Does not make Shiloh strange or weird, just one of those who got stuck in a place that does not work for them.

enough of this sht already

Posted at 1:02 PM on August 13, 2010

your experts should get some check up from REAL PSYCHOLGIST for making such a big deal out of this because according to some REAL PSYCHOLGIST, Shiloh being tomboy is normal.

Kim

Posted at 1:00 PM on August 13, 2010

Dang Bonnie really hates this family FYI 90% of BG’s are males. What about the female nannies they are with the kids more than BG’s GMAFB

Reality Bites

Posted at 10:52 AM on August 13, 2010

So they should hire more female bodyguards? Jolie’s assistant for 18 years (Holly) is female. Brad’s assistant is female. His Plan B partner is female. And they have three female nannies. The beefy men are bodyguards there to protect the children from crazy people. These same males are not having a bad influence of Zahara sense of self. She is very girlie girl. Shiloh is who she is.. she wants to be a boy.. more then likely a stage and even if it isn’t then it was in her genes not her jeans. And at least she is raised by a family who love her and accept her for who she is.

SurrealTime

Posted at 10:13 AM on August 13, 2010

Just more male bashing from the media. Wouldn’t be a story if the ‘minders’ were female. Goodness, the media and intellectual elites sure hate men.