Is Angelina Jolie Raising Her Kids To Be Gender Confused?

Thu, August 5, 2010 11:01pm EST by 67 Comments
SplashNews.com

SplashNews.com

Shiloh wears ties and calls herself John and now Maddox is playing with manicure kits. Why are Angelina Jolie’s children acting like members of the opposite sex? An expert weighs in!

We all know Shiloh Jolie-Pitt loves to look like a little boy; she lopped off her hair, wears ties and calls herself John. But now Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s adopted son, Maddox, is displaying girly tendencies; Angie reportedly bought the 8-year-old a manicure kit at the Rockridge Kids store in Oakland, Calif. on August 3 as a birthday present. Is this normal or is Angie raising her kids to be gender confused?

“Angie’s kids are trying to find their true identity,” Rebecca Roy, a licensed psychotherapist specializing in the entertainment industry, tells HollywoodLife.com. “Shiloh has it the hardest. She’s sandwiched between three adopted children and twins, so where does that leave her? This may be her way of making sure someone is paying attention to her.”

The primary person Shiloh, 4, wants paying attention is her dad, says Rebecca. “She’s closest with her father, so she’s trying to identify with him,” our expert explains. “The kids might be trying to align with whatever parent they feel closest to.”

But is Angelina, 35, an instigator? Is allowing her kids to dress and act like the opposite sex a problem? Rebecca says no! “If Angelina is the one doing the purchasing [of Shiloh’s clothes or Maddox’s manicure kit], then she’s allowing them to express whatever they feel organically,” she states. “Many parents will allow boys to play with dolls – and sometimes it’s just a phase. She’s really allowing them to express what they need to express.”

Rebecca does think the situation warrants further investigation though, especially given that two out of Angelina’s four kids (she’s also mom to 2-year-old twins Vivienne and Knox, 6-year-old Pax and Zahara, 5) are seemingly somewhat gender confused. “If it were me and I were treating them, I’d be investigating all of these things. Whether it was something about the family itself or regarding a lack of attention, these kids clearly need special attention paid to them and I would make sure they got it.”

Laura Schreffler

1. Check It Out! Shiloh Looks Just Like Brad Pitt AGAIN!
  2. Angie’s Scheme To Steal Brad — How She Tricked Jen Into Meeting Her!

Mary

Posted at 4:09 AM on August 17, 2014

Brad and Angelina make me sick. And I feel very sorry for those kids….She shouldn’t be a mom, she is still a messed up in the head sicko, just like she used to be when she was into drugs and kissing her brother.

funny mother daughter quotes

Posted at 8:37 PM on June 11, 2014

I have learn a few just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking
for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you
place to create any such magnificent informative site.

romantic photos

Posted at 9:10 PM on April 19, 2014

Hello, everything is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s truly
fine, keep up writing.

jjj

Posted at 2:59 PM on August 9, 2010

I wore dresses and skirts till i turned 3. After that if it wasn’t a uniform you couldnt get me in a skirt or dress. I started dressing what is considered feminine when i reached 21. And that still dont include dresses or skirts. I am straight. My cousin who grew up with me was nicknamed Belle, everything was pink,lilac and pastel color. Every dress in style she had it, skirts everything, we are best friends but totally opposite, she sucked at physical sports, i have medals and trophies from track, bball, etc. She is happily Gay from the time she was 16 she came out. She still dresses the same way.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with how this little girl is dressed. She will possibly outgrow it and if not then SO WHAT.

Warmblonde

Posted at 9:26 PM on August 9, 2010

I doubt that your mother publicly referred to you as a “blob” and admitted to a national magazine that she preferred her adopted children over you.

We understand childhood phases and tomboys. We get that.

We are talking about a very young child’s response to parental rejection and posturing to attain a “politically correct” component to their mixed-race family.

stopANDthink

Posted at 1:40 PM on August 9, 2010

Re: “Jolie has been encouraging her child to wear boy’s clothing whether it be for publicity, or some sick joke.”
– Um, you know this how? Allowing is not the same as encouraging. There’s nothing wrong with being neutral on the issue of pants v skirt for girls (or boys, for that matter). If the kid doesn’t feel embarrassed or traumatized by her wardrobe, who’s anyone to question the Jolie-Pitts’ sartorial choices? Same goes for the manicure kit for the boy. Why shouln’t he know how to take care of his own nails? And if Shiloh feels like being called John, well, what’s wrong with play? At age 7 I wanted to be called Robert, because I decided I was going to be Robin Hood. If Maddox feels like trying out a shade of nail gloss, so what? At 9 I had a whole army of tin soldiers in battle formations around a fort built out of Legos. I’m a married woman now. When you evaluate what’s “ok” for kids to do, don’t let your anti-gay prejudices interfere with your common sense.

Warmblonde

Posted at 9:22 PM on August 9, 2010

Interesting how Shiloh chose the name “John” as in Jon Voight.

He also was subjected to the Jolie-Pitt rejection machine.

Shiloh is probably identifying with him as opposed to her own parents who have rejected her gender ID and have sent her on down the road of gender confusion/rejection.

Ever wonder why Pitt & Jolie and their publicist machines are putting out so many pics of a “boy” Shiloh? Its all for publicity in an industry that is gay-saturated.

Christi

Posted at 12:45 AM on August 9, 2010

I think some of you are missing the bigger picture here. Too much exposure. I wouldn’t want my daughter’s pictures naked or dressed, downloaded by pedophiles and traded over the internet and used for pleasuring themselves. These are all publicity stunts and I question what type of parents these two really are. Jolie states that her child chooses her clothing. Did a three-week old choose to wear a boy’s outfit that had skull and bones on the front for a cover shoot? Further, this little girl is not picking out coordinated boy’s clothing and intentionally avoiding anything that remotely resembles feminitiy. Jolie has been encouraging her child to wear boy’s clothing whether it be for publicity, or some sick joke. She’s still as whacked out as she ever was. Nothing’s changed. The poor kid won’t know who she is tomorrow, or 20 years from now. I suppose they take her to the boy’s bathroom too. Some people are just not fit to be a parent. I thought Pitt had more sense.

Warmblonde

Posted at 9:18 PM on August 9, 2010

Shiloh is to be the LGBTG component of the “rainbow” family.

MissAly

Posted at 2:23 PM on August 10, 2010

I think you are mentally unstable to bring pedophiles into the subject of Shiloh’s gender wardrobe choices. You are out of line and crude. Children like to explore different costumes, roles, and options. I know plenty of grown men that as boys played dressup with their siblings, which often included them in dresses, heels, makeup, and wigs. Children are supposed to use their imagination, be carefree, and have fun. Angelina has nurtured her children’s creativity and the fact you mock it here, shows the disgusting reality of YOUR character.

Gabby

Posted at 5:54 PM on August 8, 2010

“Dumb and moronic headlines designed to get people angry and upset so they will post. That’s all it is. This site wants people to comment as otherwise it looks like they’re not getting any traffic coming through.”

Exactly. What a waste of time, this ignorant 1950s psychobabble. It all leads back to homophobia (which is intertwined with misogyny): They could turn out ::gasp:: gay! The horror! Did wearing pants turn all us women into lesbians? No, but that what’s the “experts” said back then (although this bimbo writer definitely doesn’t qualify as an expert). Pants were “masculine,” they weren’t “feminine” enough for us graceful, dainty creatures.

Why don’t the slaves to archaic gender stereotypes that do nothing but put us in boxes get back in their girdles and hoop skirts where they apparently feel they belong and leave the rest of us alone? My sisters always dressed to the nines as a kid in the frilliest, girliest, matchy-matchy outfits, and she is a lesbian (who still often wears embarrassingly girly clothes). Heads up homophobic parents: You can’t control “gayness.” You can’t dress them up in enough pink dresses to stamp out a part of they are. And you’re horrible if you try. You just love them and are there for them. If you’re concerned about anything else, you’re not on the moral high ground you think you are.

Gabby

Posted at 5:56 PM on August 8, 2010

Sorry, I meant *sister* – singular, not plural. :-)

jhouio

Posted at 6:00 AM on August 8, 2010

OMG,$99,Designer luxury bags,search ” MyDiscountBag ” on google,get Louis Vuitton,Hermes,Chanel etc.All 80% off,and free wallet promotion is now.

Warmblonde

Posted at 12:48 AM on August 8, 2010

For me its whether the child who was referred to publicly as a “blob” is exhibiting self-rejection. After all, she’s chosen the name “John” which is similar to “Jon” as in Voight.

Jolie also admitted in an interview that she preferenced the adopted children over Shiloh. (Knox & Vivienne were not conceived yet.)

As someone who was rejected early in life by both parents, I sorta see a similar dynamic in Shiloh going on, although what she’s displaying is far more on down the line than I did.

It would be best if Jon Voight could raise her. I think it would be much better for Shiloh and enable her to have the quiet time and non-distractions to sort things through for herself.

Gabby

Posted at 6:21 PM on August 8, 2010

“Gender rejection is probably one of the most severe manifestations of parental lovelessness or perceived or actual rejection.”

Wow…you have no idea what you’re talking about.

“It would be best if Jon Voight could raise her.”

LOL Okay Jolie-Pitt family expert! Voigt is a bigger attention whore than the Pitts could ever be. He involved the press in his family’s private lives and sold them out, and from what I hear, Jolie’s been gracious enough to actually give him another chance after all the crap he’s pulled on her and her mother throughout their lives. You are not an expert on these people’s private lives, you do not know as much about them and what’s best for their family as you think you do by looking at paparazzi pictures and reading snippets of interviews. You are just saying “My personal experience was this, so I will project that onto any other person’s situation that even remotely looks similar no matter how little info I actually have.” And also, referring to your mention of the “blob” comment, mothers taking a little while to develop that proprietary and unbreakable connection with their child is not uncommon. You obviously don’t have much experience with this, but some women feel so guilty over their lack of instantaneous, unconditional motherly love because of women like you who make them feel like dysfunctional freaks for not automatically fitting the perfect mother mold. Adding that feeling of inferiority to your postpartum depression can take a heavy toll. I know my mother struggled for a few months to really feel like I was hers and not some alien that had popped out of her, and she was really a bona fide mother, but with the support of people more understanding than you, she overcame those hurdles and got into the groove of things fairly quickly afterward and has been as warm and loving a mother as I could have ever asked for (on top of holding down a job – she’s amazing!).

pattyq12

Posted at 7:25 PM on August 9, 2010

You don’t know what crap john V, pulled on angie, ANgie lied about her childhood in the press the women is delustional. Her own mother neglected her and now she is doing the same to her own daughter. JOhn V. told the press that his daughter needs help, crazy. She is crazy just admitted recenlty that she isn’t totally sane.

Sharon

Posted at 9:28 PM on August 7, 2010

I believe the question here is not whether the children really are LGBTQ, or expressing themselves however they want, but whether Jolie/Pitt are directing this behavior, whether on purpose, or by overlaying their own perceptions on reality. If it’s the kids being themselves, go for it, be happy. If it’s the parents forcing identities onto them, shame shame.

juliamarisa

Posted at 9:55 AM on August 7, 2010

GENDER IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT. Gender is separate from biological sex and gender doesn’t always match up with sex. Maybe her kids are genderqueer or trans. And if they are, the absolute best thing Angelina can do for them is just what she is doing now: allowing them to be and not attempting to force them into gender roles in which they don’t feel comfortable. The suicide rate for LGBTQ youth is about four times higher than for heteronormative youth and I’m willing to bet that for trans youth specifically its even higher. And articles like this are the reason why.

Molly

Posted at 1:06 AM on August 7, 2010

You know what I see when I look at that picture? Happy kids. Isn’t that what matters most? Who cares how they dress or what their fingernails look like?

diane

Posted at 11:46 PM on August 6, 2010

Oh, and just to add. It’s not appropriate to have a 4 year old girl at a public hotel pool not wearing some sort of top.

Guest

Posted at 1:15 AM on August 7, 2010

Righto, it’s not appropriate because you just KNOW everyone’s going to be staring at Shiloh’s boobs? Whats the deal? If a little boy can go topless why not a little girl? The topless debate for adults notwithstanding, a child Shiloh’s age has got nothing to see! Her body at this point is no different than a boy of the same age.

A.N. Mouse

Posted at 2:12 AM on August 7, 2010

Agreed! Diane-get over it. There’s no rule or reqirement saying that girls and boys must stick to gender stereotypes. Oh no! Angelina didn’t shove her infant daughter into the frilliest, pinkest outfit she could find! Alert child services! And why is everyone blaming the mother? Last I checked, Brad has jus asmuch responsibilty in raising his children. He obviously has no problem with his kids, so why should you?
Just leave the kid alone already! She’s FOUR people!

ellid

Posted at 8:50 AM on August 7, 2010

And you can tell the difference between a boy and girl at that age HOW? And why do you care? I went topless as a small child when I played in the sprinkler and I had no problem knowing I was a girl.

Mind your own business.

you idiot

Posted at 2:31 AM on March 20, 2011

“Mind your own business,” says someone at a celebrity gossip site…Do you read what you write?

Sharon

Posted at 10:24 PM on August 7, 2010

It’s only “not appropriate” when the girl starts to have girl curves, rather than the straight body of a child. Depending whre you are from, it’s normal for toddlers to all go topless when it’s hot out. Baby bikinis are only for moms who think they are cute, and pervs who want to imagine that the babies have more than they do.

stopANDthink

Posted at 1:55 PM on August 9, 2010

I don’t understand this. I’m an immigrant and in Eastern Europe, where I come from, kids of both sexes up to age 6 or so used to frolick at the beach naked. And no one cared. Really. Men strolled about the beach in tiny speedos. In the summer men and women wore short shorts. Without anyone whistling or commenting. Women wore diaphanous blouses through which one could see the bra. No one thought anything of it.
I’ve lived in the US for over 20 years and I still don’t understand the American prurient fascination with covering up.

diane

Posted at 11:43 PM on August 6, 2010

Jolie is doing this on purpose to attract attention. Shame on her for using her kids like this. Jolie and Pitt dressed this child in a blue shirt with skullcaps for her first photo on the People cover (at whatever weeks/months age she was). Jolie set this up from the get go. Stop being fooled people. Jolie is a psycho.

maya

Posted at 10:08 PM on August 6, 2010

So… not only do kids have to conform to your rigid gender norms from the moment they exit the womb, but it’s also all their mom’s fault, as their dad has no role in the parenting or raising of his children.

Well done.

Maria

Posted at 9:17 PM on August 6, 2010

Oh, for crying out loud! If Angelina and Brad are raising the kids outside the confining boundaries of gender norms and allowing them to express who they really are, then good for them! It’s 2010-girls can be firefighters and boys can be ballet dancers. Stop gender-policing celebrity kids.

zce

Posted at 9:02 PM on August 6, 2010

WHY? Is anyone trying to tell the Joile Pitt’s how to live and raise their children. Let it go soceity has already destroyed most of our next generation, at least they are trying to raise healthy happy children. Brad and Angelina are teaching them values they we will never understand because we are so judgemental,even down to money, they don’t have to dress like rich people just be themselves and comfortable with their life.I heard Cybil Shepard when she was young all she wanted was a pair overalls not dresses and she turned out well.I wore pants all the time as a child and I too even turned out well. Let it go and talk about something that is meaningful, Thank you.

Guest

Posted at 8:10 PM on August 6, 2010

Quit being the bloody gender police!

Jasper

Posted at 6:32 PM on August 6, 2010

Smashing the gender binary tackles homophobia, transphobia, misogyny and rape culture. Jolie and Bitt raising their kids in a manner than let’s them express themselves honestly will contribute to them being happy and definitely not confused, even if they don’t fit archaic standards of gender.

Teaching boys to be macho makes many of them emotionally impotent, and fosters anti-woman attitudes by making “sensitive” things bad. And any idiot should be able to see the fault in raising girls not to strive or to be submissive.

And as for your expert, why is an “entertainment industry expert” acting as if she knows what she’s talking about in gender studies? Because I imagine if you approached any expert with real expertise related to gender and childrearing, they’d tell you you’re outdated. Laura Schreffler, reflect on how your notions of binary gender applied at large hold you, as a woman, back in the world.

Eunice

Posted at 6:14 PM on August 6, 2010

This article makes me sick. Why the hell do you have to raise your kids to society’s standards of what is girly and what is boyish?!?! She can raise her kids how ever way she wants. She can put all her boys in dresses and all her girls in pants with a tie. As long as they are healthy physically, mentally, and emotionally, then she and brad are doing a great job.

Unfortunately, we live in a society that harps on parents who are even a little bit progressive or “different” in their parenting style. “If you’re not traditional, then you must be hurting your child,”- is the idea here. Well boo that. I think we need to break down the walls. Stop teaching little boys that they have to be macho, that crying is a sign of weakness (like a girl), and stop teaching little girls that they have to be dependent on boys, that they are fragile and easily broken.

One day… one day.

Kai

Posted at 5:50 PM on August 6, 2010

Everybody who’s soooo concerned about this is stupid and really stuck in the binary. Boys don’t need to be “masculine”, girls don’t need to be “feminine”, and they can b whatever they want. Boys can be “feminine” and girls can be “masculine” and it doesn’t have to be a phase. Sometimes they’re jus tbeing themselves. People are people. Let go of the stereotypes and re-f*cking-lax.

you idiot

Posted at 2:33 AM on March 20, 2011

There’s feminine and masculine and then there’s…Shiloh. Way too extreme.