Gisele Bundchen: Women Should Be Forced To Breastfeed For Six Months

Tue, August 3, 2010 11:05am EDT by 9 Comments

The supermodel mom thinks there should be a law to make moms breastfeed for six months. Do you agree with her?

Motherhood has given Gisele Bundchen an insight into all things baby, and she’s sharing her opinions on labor, breastfeeding and more in the new issue of Harper’s Bazaar UK. The supermodel, who credited muscle memory with helping her to slim down after having son Benjamin Brady seven months ago, tells the magazine that breastfeeding also helped her get back into catwalk shape — and that all mothers should be forced to do it.

“I think breastfeeding really helped,” she says. “Some people here think they don’t have to breastfeed, and I think, ‘Are you going to give chemical food to your child, when they are so little?’ There should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.”

Gisele doesn’t seem  to have an opinion on what the consequences would be if she became the worldwide breastfeeding czar, but she does have a point. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for the first six months of a child’s life because it provides essential nutrients for growth, health and development. But a law? Seriously, Gisele?

The 30-year-old, who gave birth to her son in a bathtub at home, also shared her opinion on home births.

“Not for one second did it cross my mind that I was not going to have my baby at home,” she says. “I am not the first person to give birth naturally. Billions of other women have come before me and have done this  —  so why can’t I do it?”

Tom Brady‘s baby mama prepared for labor boot camp-style by practicing kung fu and doing yoga three times a week and meditating every day.

“It prepared me mentally and physically,” she says. “It’s called ‘labour,’ not ‘holiday’ for a reason, and I knew that. You want to go into the most intense physical experience of your life unprepared? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Then I was ready and I thought, ‘OK let’s get to work.’ I wasn’t expecting someone else to get the baby out of me. I had to do it together with him.”

So what do you think about Gisele’s ideas on breastfeeding and labor?

natabora

Posted at 1:43 AM on June 8, 2011

Hi. Glad To Meet You at your beautiful board!
I am novice here! Let me introduce myself.
I am plump damsel Amanda from Germany.
I like this excellent community! ;)

Chloe

Posted at 11:42 AM on August 4, 2010

Pamela you just let your ignorance show with that post. First off, breastfeeding is natural and so are breasts. They are there to be used to feed young. Secondly, c-sections are what is not natural. Those should only be used in emergency cases. I find it disgusting that people are so lazy they want to SCHEDULE a c-section and not even give their baby a proper entrance into the world.

boobylove

Posted at 6:06 PM on August 3, 2010

Oh boy…she did it again. I could give a harsh comment but what would that prove..that I am just as bad if not worse?? Gisele is new to this Mommy business so I am going to let her very inappropriate comment slide. But not without giving my two cents. Not all mom’s can breast feed. Though, I could of fed young infants all over the world with all the milk I produced while breast feeding a total of 9 years with my 4 children…ouch and droopy is all I can say. But, I know many women who just couldn’t produce milk and it hurt them deeply. It’s such a beautiful way to connect with your child. It also has many health benefits like it helps there immune system and brain function. But again not all woman can breast feed. So please Gisele think before you speak.

Mary

Posted at 3:42 PM on August 3, 2010

What a stupid bitch!!!

lisa

Posted at 3:16 AM on November 20, 2011

No. You’re stupid, stupid!

disco

Posted at 2:24 PM on August 3, 2010

high five to gisele for being inconsiderate and so perfect. dislike!

Pamela

Posted at 12:43 PM on August 3, 2010

She is stupid. A law to make women breastfeed. I couldn’t breastfeed. No milk. Wouldn’t if I could. Both my children are VERY healthy. Always have been.I bet she is one of those women who don’t cover up when she breatfeeds. No one wants to see that.
Leelou as for personal choice in having a baby by c-section. That is not a personal choice. It is a must have when done. With my 1st we BOTH would have died without a c-section. 2nd had to have c-section. I’m just not made to have children the natural way. I liked my c-section’s.

just my opinion

Posted at 8:16 PM on August 3, 2010

C-section were originally ment as a worst case scenario-no-other-options procedure, and still is for many women like yourself. Unfortunately now it CAN be a choice, many women think it will save their personal areas from damage, if they did some real research they would find that those “areas” are designed to heal back to normal when given the proper time to do so, it’s a vanity route…one that boggles me cause it also happens to be the most PAINFUL to recover from haha.

Leelou

Posted at 12:03 PM on August 3, 2010

I cannot believe I even read this or commenting but it asked it you agreed with her. That was just odd to me. So, no, I dont agree it should be a law. Some women cant breastfeed and some babies wont latch. It’s personal choice, just like if you want natural birth or drugs or c-section.