Sophia Bush Outraged Over Urban Outfitters' 'Eat Less' T-Shirt & Calls For A Boycott! Will You Be Joining Her?

Mon, July 26, 2010 12:39pm EDT by 21 Comments
Getty Images, Courtesy of Urban Outfitters

Getty Images, Courtesy of Urban Outfitters

The One Tree Hill star is FURIOUS at the retail chain for selling a t-shirt that says “Eat Less!”

Sophia Bush, 28, has always been an avid promoter of healthy body images for women, but now she’s taking her cause to new heights by launching a boycott against Urban Outfitters. “I have been a supporter of your store for many years, but now I’m through,” she writes in an open letter to the retail chain, which she posted on her blog. “Perhaps some of the American population could stand to take the shirt’s advice, but for those impressionable teens who shop at Urban Outfitters, its message is more pro-anorexia than anything, especially when worn by an emaciated model.”

She continues to rip into Urban Outfitters in her letter, saying: “You should issue a public apology, and make a hefty donation to a women’s organization that supports those stricken with eating disorders. I am sickened that anyone, on any board, in your gigantic company would have voted ‘yes’ on such a thing, let alone enough of you to manufacture an item with such a hurtful message. It’s like handing a suicidal person a loaded gun. You should know better.”

Sophia’s passion for body image issues also carries into her hit TV show One Tree Hill. Her character, fashion designer Brooke Davis, sees a rail-thin model in one episode and proclaims, “Anorexia is a disease! It is NOT a fashion statement!” And more recently, Brooke launched an entire clothing line out of the phrase “Zero is not a size,” inspired by her real-sized assistant, Millicent.

Personally, I couldn’t agree more with Sophia’s message. Many of my close friends, who are curvy but not fat, already steer clear of the self-confidence killer known as Urban Outfitters. But what do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Will you be joining Sophia in her crusade against the store?

jess

Posted at 1:42 PM on September 16, 2014

0 is indeed, a size. She’s kind of contradicting herself. I am perfectly healthy, no disorder (my thoughts and good vibes go out to those who are struggling), and I am still small. It’s just by body form.

Caitlin

Posted at 9:17 PM on October 19, 2013

I agree that the shirt is bad, but one thing that bothers me is “0 is not a size”. Body image problems go both ways and there are lots of naturally skinny size zero girls who are made fun of for their weight.

Erin Freeby

Posted at 1:22 PM on September 3, 2013

I think we are beyond only dealing with anorexia and young girls here. I think that there are many positive images making their way into young girls’ heads–more-so now than ever even in the light of the fashion industry–while the statement “eat less” on a shirt being worn by an emaciated model does have a negative light–that issue should be one for the models themselves…. or the fact that yes, urban outfitters SHOULD carry larger, healthier sizes for the larger, healthier people that we are. But in fact, the models should be larger and healthier. The store should promote larger, healthier sizes. But in all actuality, as spoiled Americans…. we SHOULD ‘eat less’, and in a world view that message is good and healthy. We freak out about someone being too skinny and body image and eating disorders here in a country where most of us can access more food, or even… forgive me but–some of these girls with eating disorders are eating food just to throw it up when there are people in the rest of the world who would give anything to access enough food TO THROW UP. So, ya, there is a disparity here in the message, it is too simple to shed light on a real world issue… but I think we are being sheltered and overreacting by asking to eliminate it. Eating disorders are real, and one of my best friends almost died because of one. But at the same time, we need to acknowledge everything going on. People are also still starving, while the healthy western world seems to be gorging–eating disorders or not. Urban Outfitters is too trendy for me, but I don’t think that the particular message on a shirt is outrageous. We can’t look at it in a narrow-western-mindedness. Life is not so simple for anyone.

Caley

Posted at 1:47 PM on September 3, 2013

Definitely agree with most of what you said. Just want to say as a recovering Bulimic When you say “some of these girls with eating disorders are eating food just to throw it up when there are people in the rest of the world who would give anything to access enough food TO THROW UP” And maybe im taking this the wrong way but it seems that you just think we indulge on what we want so that we can throw it up. This is not true. It’s hard to explain the compulsion to over eat but it is almost as hard not to over eat for me as it is not to smoke a cigarette. But then you also get addicted to purging or throwing up. When you finish you almost get a high. Bulimia is a MENTAL ILLNESS. Not some diet trick.

Caley

Posted at 7:33 PM on August 21, 2013

How is this okay? Basically encouraging eating disorder. I will never buy anything here ever again.

Chad E

Posted at 6:12 PM on March 28, 2012

Seriously! Over an f-ing shirt? You people need to grow up. It’s things like this that degrade our humanity and make me wish I weren’t a part of this idiotic world. We’ve got millions of people dying of disease and famine and war. And all you selfish americans can think about is how offending a god damn tee shirt. My own country makes me sick.

Caley

Posted at 7:36 PM on August 21, 2013

No whats sick is encouraging an eating disorder. This is a freaking disease. Screw your head on straight and take a look around.

Zoe

Posted at 7:58 PM on June 7, 2014

WELL SAID, Chad..I couldn’t agree with you more.

A

Posted at 12:15 PM on June 21, 2011

Coming from a girl fighting Ana, I honestly think this shirt is ridiculous. I wouldn’t advise anyone to go through the struggles I’ve had to with ‘Eating Less’

Yawn

Posted at 9:32 AM on March 21, 2011

Sophia Bush would use everything and everyone to get some publicity.

Ana's Bride

Posted at 6:41 PM on March 15, 2011

OH. My. God. I can’t beleive this! Well, I can, I really can. It’s disturbing but true. It’s shirts and comments like these that people do that made me the way I am. Look at me, I can’t even type a strait thought. Gosh.
AND size zero shouldn’t no longer exist, it should be labeled differently. I think sizes should be named by he waist circumfrence they fit. That way, there’s no size zero, and a size for everyone.

G.

Posted at 1:12 AM on January 9, 2011

I’m really curious as to why somebody likes this shirt. Can someone explain to me? Thanks :)

Lisa

Posted at 9:29 PM on January 6, 2011

Zero indicates no value so therefore it should not be used to represent a clothing size, I agree there are a lot of healthy women who are naturally small but the size should be labelled differently.

Nice

Posted at 4:09 PM on January 3, 2011

I’m a size zero, she’s saying I’m not a size? Oh that’s COOL

georgie

Posted at 3:16 PM on September 8, 2010

im glad she spoke out and i agree, but im kind of annoyed by her saying ‘zero is not a size’. im a zero, but im really small and im not anorexic. i eat and am healthy, but im just a tiny person. i think she should accept that some REAL PEOPLE are in fact a zero, and not because they starve themselves.

pissed

Posted at 2:07 AM on August 9, 2010

I am happy that she spoke out about it. Almost every girl I know (including size 2 me) has had body image issues. For a store to say “you are too fat to shop here” is wrong.

just a quick note to the author: sophia did NOT say “Perhaps some of the American population could stand to take the shirt’s advice, but for those impressionable teens who shop at Urban Outfitters, its message is more pro-anorexia than anything, especially when worn by an emaciated model.” That was taken from an article Sophia posted on her blog in reference to the UO shirt. Just wanted to put that out there.

Outraged

Posted at 9:05 PM on July 31, 2010

I agree with Sophia. When I read that UO did this, I was outraged. How could an entire company agree that this shirt would be a GOOD idea to sell? All of the young, impressionable girls who shop there will see this and think that not eating to be thin is ok. It’s NOT. How many people have you heard of whose lives have been ruined by anorexia? How many girls and boys have lost their lives? I am outraged at Urban Outfitters and I know that I definitely will never shop there again.

blue

Posted at 5:51 PM on July 29, 2010

this lady is mean so its ok to be fat but its not ok to be under weight!!! wow nd its a life style choice ok!!

blue

Posted at 4:08 AM on July 28, 2010

haha im going to the mall 2marow i wud buy it but there so exspensive oh well

blue

Posted at 4:02 AM on July 28, 2010

i like that shirt!!!!!! (:

Nikita

Posted at 8:00 AM on July 27, 2010

“Perhaps some of the American population could stand to take the shirt’s advice, but for those impressionable teens who shop at Urban Outfitters, its message is more pro-anorexia than anything, especially when worn by an emaciated model.” – Sophia didn’t say this, it was an extract from this website: http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/13944