Daniel Craig Will Star In ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ — But Will Kristen Stewart Be His Leading Lady?

Mon, July 26, 2010 9:30pm EDT by 8 Comments

It’s been confirmed that the James Bond star will play journalist Mikael Blomkvist in the Millennium Trilogy – but the hottest young actresses around are still fighting for the starring female part!

Bond, James Bond…is about to trade his gun for a pen! JB himself, Daniel Craig, has just inked a deal to star as Swedish journalist Mikael Blomkvist in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo!

Deadline Hollywood confirms that Daniel will not only be appearing in Dragon, but in Stieg Larsson’s remaining two Millennium Trilogy novels – The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets’ Nest – as well.

Now one question remains. Who will play Daniel’s leading lady, tattooed private investigator Lisbeth Salander? We’re personally hoping our favorite gal, Kristen Stewart, is still up for the part, but the other names being bandied about are Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland), Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), Sara Snook (Sleeping Beauty), Rooney Mara (The Social Network) and Sophie Lowe (Blame).

Laura Schreffler

Leelou

Posted at 1:29 AM on July 31, 2010

Ok, now I am not a Twilight fan nor an huge Kristen fan. I think people are a little too hard on her but thats just media for you. Moving on, I admit dont agree with actors getting roles just based on popularity. I originally though Heath Ledger was getting too much praise for the Joker just because he had died….until I saw the movie and I totally changed my mind. He deserved the praise. Hell, I am not even a Batman fan and that movie made me one. Now in saying all that and getting to my point…I read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, love it and saw the film. This is a time I agree with the fans. I do believe Kristen would be a great Lizbeth. Perfectly almost. I dont see the Ellen Page doing is and yes, I saw Hard Candy. Still not seeing it. Kristen has that moody dark look and can play it perfectly. I am not as harsh of a critic on actors as some and maybe thats where I get my opinion from. I just can really see her playing this character with justice and this is from a non Twilight fanbase. I dont care if she’s shy or moody in real life. Thats her personal life and none of our business. Some of the most brooding/moody actors in hollywood are also some of the best. I personally think she gets a bad rap mainly cause of the Twilight overexposure and a lot of people just not liking the series and therefore, not liking Kristen or anyone in the movies. Not a lot would admit that thinking but it does happen a lot. Twilight fans can be a bit much for me but hey, it’s their love, so no harm and this time, I am siding with them. I am Team Kristen on this subject all the way.

pentup

Posted at 9:14 AM on July 27, 2010

Earlier on, they were considering bigger name actresses, and Kristen Stewart and Carey mulligan were among those names on there. They have since decided to go with a no-name actress and start fresh. Kristen was never able to do it though, because shooting starts in October, and that’s when she’ll start filming Breaking Dawn.

daria

Posted at 8:44 AM on July 27, 2010

Sugar- you don’t know what you’re talking about. Roger Ebert has already said she’s the only young American actress he thinks can pull off the role. Sean Penn is currently writing a part just for her in his new project. And Julianne MOore has said Kristen is her favorite of the new generation of actresses. So, I don’t know, do I go with Sugar’s opinion – or Sean Penn’s and co.???

Sugar

Posted at 7:09 AM on July 27, 2010

She is not on the short list of actors being considered for the role. She is not in the same league as the actresses who are being considered. She should console herself with being a rich actress from the blockbuster teen franchise. That is nothing to cry about since most actors toil in obscurity.

John

Posted at 11:22 PM on July 26, 2010

Kirsten Stewart??? Has she really ever “acted”? Walking through a teen angst movie with a frozen face and no emotions does not acting make – big box office maybe, but not acting.

Boo Hearne Carroll

Posted at 10:03 PM on July 26, 2010

With the James Bond franchise in limbo, Craig’s people must be breathing a sigh of relief that he is still viable. I always thought he would be perfect in that role. He looks very Germanic/Scandinavian. My question is: Did he or did he not get married last year? No one has answered that question. Bonnie Fuller and staff? Any updates?

Namaki

Posted at 9:43 PM on July 26, 2010

Kstew already says she not doing it ~.~. And during that time, she already start filming Breaking Dawn. So stop all the news about will Kstew will star in TGWTDT

tinamarie

Posted at 9:52 AM on July 27, 2010

I agree she said she wasn’t doing it so let’s move on fro these stupid articals. Enough of them already..