Kristen Stewart: It Looks Like Ellen Page Might Have Stolen The Lead Role In 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!'

Wed, July 21, 2010 12:50pm EDT by 17 Comments
Getty Images (2)

Getty Images (2)

Kristen has been battling it out for one of Hollywood’s most coveted roles, Lisbeth Salander, in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo! But Inception starlet, Ellen Page might just snag the role right from under her!

Everybody wants to know: who will land the lead in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo? We thought Twilight star Kristen Stewart would land the lead of Lisbeth Salander but it might very well be Inception star, Ellen Page who will walk away with the role! The American version of the film is based on the best selling book by Stieg Larsson and the competition is getting intense! Nikki Finke’s Deadline.com reports that even though Sony Pictures has set a Dec. 21, 2011 release date for the film, the fight for the lead is getting fierce!

Not only is director David Fincher, debating between K-Stew and Ellen, but actresses like Carey Mulligan [An Education], Mia Wasikowska [Alice in Wonderland], Emily Browning [Sucker Punch], Sara Snook [Sleeping Beauty], Rooney Mara [The Social Network], and Sophie Lowe [Blame] are all in the running!

It sounds like there’s some pretty steep competition but it get’s even tougher! Deadline.com says David, who is best known for directing Fight Club, 1999, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, 2008, is telling all of the actresses to work on their Swedish accents, now that’s not an easy task!

-Chloe Melas

Read more on Kristen Stewart

1. Sorry BFFS, Kstew said she won’t be starring in ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”
  2. WATCH! Kristen Stewart slammed by costar
  3. Exclusive! ‘Breaking Dawn’ will be erotic! Expect a lot of skin on skin between Kristen and Rob

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

bjsmith

Posted at 9:32 AM on February 15, 2014

I think Ellen Page will be perfect for the role. She has great acting chops. No offense to the other actressess, but I think Ellen is capable of carrying a lead role off much better.

Bren

Posted at 11:45 AM on July 25, 2010

Kristen Stewart even being considered for this role is a JOKE- she can’t act. She would make that series absolutely laughable.

Ellen Page, however, would be fantastic!!!

Selena

Posted at 2:02 AM on July 26, 2010

True(:

Sammie

Posted at 6:30 PM on January 11, 2011

I think Ellen Page would have probably been the best for this role. She is such a great actress. Kristen Stewart would not fit this role. I also think Emily Browning and Mia Wasikowska would have been good. Except Rooney Mara got the role. She may be good, but she sucked in the remake of Elm Street. We’ll see, I guess.

Jeff

Posted at 10:37 AM on July 24, 2010

I agree. Elen Page is he Best and the role she played in Hard Candy was brilliant. She is not too mousy. I agree. Kristen Stewart is not a great actress and I don’t think she should even be considered for the role.

Dazee

Posted at 3:49 PM on July 23, 2010

I’ve never cared that greatly for Kristen Stewart. She’s only so memorable in her roles, even ones she played bigger parts in. Until Twilight (which is not a series I’m interested in) she was always very… “Oh yeah, she was in that movie, wasn’t she? She was good.” I even remember thinking ‘Oh, she’s going to be in Twilight? I don’t really care for her.’ when the hoopla all started. But Ellen Page has always stood out. I remember several movies she’s been in, even if I haven’t seen them, and the ones I have seen her in she was amazing, granted, the first movie I saw her in was Hard Candy and trust me, that left a lasting impression.

secret

Posted at 12:37 PM on July 23, 2010

One of them should go for the role, I mean kristen and ellen are my fave actresses, But i have no idea which one!!!!!

Destiny

Posted at 3:09 AM on July 23, 2010

I agree Kristen sucks! same in every movie. yeah shes being herself, but that isnt ACTING. you have to step in other shoes rather than walk on them with your own. ugh bring out sandra bullock to show these youngens a thing or two haha (:

Ryan

Posted at 12:59 AM on July 23, 2010

Thanks Hollywood, you are an insidious parasite that needs to leech off of anything genuine and devoid it of its life-force. Is it so hard for people to sit through an awesome movie in subtitles? Do we have to put our A-list celebrities in everything in order for it to be marketed to the masses? I literally JUST saw Inception and was impressed with Ellen Page, but there is no way she can top the performance of Noomi Rapace, she was a genuine badass. Please, anyone reading this, do yourself a favor and see the original film and try to justify the need for an American adaptation.

Anders

Posted at 12:52 AM on July 23, 2010

Why do they need to make a remake anyway – The Swedish one was fantastic. Must be because the American audiences are too stupid.

kat

Posted at 12:01 AM on July 22, 2010

People need to stop pretending kristen stewart can act. When I first saw her in twilight I thought she was good then new moon came out and I realized she always has the same face for every emotion. The fake crying and breaking down scenes in that movie were painful to watch. She was horrible,same with eclipse and the runaways and pretty much every other movie I’ve seen her in. She never changes face or the way she approaches different emotions. There’s always that stupid lip biting! Ug! Put someone else in this role. Someone who can actually act,not someone who will just bring people to the theatres cause she got lucky by landing a role in a popular vampire flick.

Kate

Posted at 9:19 PM on July 21, 2010

Sorry, Ellen page is too mousy for the role. She will not be believable in that role at all. Kristen has the edge to pull it off. When I read the book, I definitely pictured her in the role.

MAYRA

Posted at 8:21 PM on July 21, 2010

kristen the best actress

Judy

Posted at 2:04 AM on July 26, 2010

kristen not the best actress

Desmond

Posted at 3:36 PM on July 21, 2010

She was never in contention in the first place. Her filming schedule for Breaking Dawn was always going to conflict with the filming of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. This article is pointless.

smiles

Posted at 1:22 PM on July 21, 2010

i think Kristen Stewart because she always bring something new to the screen.she always put herself in the shoes of the role shes playing.and really makes you want to watch her because shes so good.if you want proof examples are into the wild,panic room, the twilight movies, speak.reply on my comment if you agree.i think there’s nothing wrong with Ellen page except that she’s more like the girl next door tipe of actress.

Abby

Posted at 3:19 PM on July 21, 2010

The problem with Kristen Stewart is that she puts herself into the roles. That’s not acting when you’re playing yourself. She plays the characters the same. She brought nothing new to the Joan Jett role that wasn’t in Adventureland or the Twilight movies. No depth, no talent. She may have a look that fits better than Ellen Page normally, but with hair and make-up, Ellen Page fits the role better because she can act and stretch herself into the role.

Carey Mulligan has proven she can give a strong performance but I personally don’t think she would be right as Lisbeth Salander.