Remember: going from black to blonde can’t be done in one sitting unless you want to fry your hair. It’s a process!
It’s summer time and I decided that I wanted to get a fresh new look! My inspiration — Gisele Bundchen‘s beautiful dark blonde hair! But, there was one problem … I had been dying my hair black for two years and didn’t even begin to anticipate that it would take more than just one dye job to get the look. But, after two visits to my stylist Ludovic Audesson at Pierre Michel Salon in NYC, I got the perfect summer highlights looking just like Gisele!
Here are the steps Ludovic followed to give me my new look:
1. Rid of the black: Thank goodness I didn’t have to strip my hair — that would have left me with red hair! Instead, my stylist used a special wash that rinsed out the dirty black tone. This process took 15 minutes including the wash.
2. Apply highlights: Ludovic used his special technique called “Balayage.” He left the treatment in my hair for about 10 minutes processing.
3. Rinse and Style: Going from dark to light is a process and can’t be done all in one salon visit. So, after my first two treatments in the same day, my stylist wanted my hair to rest so that it wouldn’t fall out. He rinsed out my hair, gave me a deep conditioning treatment, then styled it with a fabulous blow out.
Tips in between salon visits: 1) Get lots of sun so that my hair would lighten up on it’s own. 2) Swim — the water helped the process along. 3) Lots of conditioner so that my hair could retain it’s moisture.
4. Second visit to the salon: Ludovic repeated steps 1 and 2 a week later, so that my hair could have some time to rest.
5. The end look: After the visiting the salon, I left with fabulous summer highlights exactly like Gisele’s. To maintain the look, I will have to visit my stylist every 2-3 months.
Watch the video below to get the rest of the tips on how to make the transition from black to blonde!
- Lindsey DiMattina