Listen Up, Angie Really IS Mom of the Year! I Kid You Not!

Mon, July 12, 2010 7:56pm EST by 17 Comments

071210_angelina_kids_INFphoto_1212999

Yes, she’s got an army of nannies and a bank account of $100 million, but that’s not what makes Angie a mommy role model.

After reading and watching all her latest interviews, I think the infamous mom of six has a down-to-earth take on the joys and crazy challenges of her big brood, that doesn’t cost one penny to copy. Here’s 5 parent Do’s I’ve gleaned from watching Brad Pitt‘s other half .

• Embrace The Chaos Of Your Kids: Angie does. She actually admits in an interview with ABC News that mornings in the Jolie-Pitt household are mayhem! Sound familiar? It sure does to me — I’ve got four kids and it was a relief to hear that the Brangelina duo have no help first thing in the am and things DO NOT go smoothly! “We got shoes going on and somebody brushing their teeth and somebody put that down and stop screaming and no, you have to wear that jacket, I can’t find the pink one, please, just go out the door,” she laughs.

Now what would stress most mortal women – six young kids out of control — gets made manageable, not by Angie trying to pull off motherhood perfection, but by laughing at the nuttiness of the situation — “we are still able to do it (Angelina describes herself and Brad as” bartenders” and “waiters “as they try to feed their kids in the morning ), because we manage to have a great laugh. We do it together and we find fun in it, she says.”

That my friends is good advice — coping with the demands of kids is such a challenge – it’s better to simply go with the crazy flow than to try to corral your household into orderly perfection.

• Angelina swears that she and Brad have made their kids, not their careers, their #1 priority: Yes, It’s easy for her to say that work doesn’t come first when she can command $12 million for a film, and can pick and chose when she works and what movie she works on, but it’s clear that this pair — unlike many other celebrity parents — really has made a firm commitment in their actions, not just in words, to make their kids #1.

The most important thing is our children, they’re our greatest responsibility,” the 35 year-old recently told Parade.com. “It’s our jobs… And when we pass away, that’s what we will have done with our lives.”

The star of Salt insists that she and Brad do not work at the same time — they can’t, because their movies so often take them to foreign film sets. She just finished shooting the thriller/drama The Tourist in Venice, while Brad played nanny daddy. “I keep telling Brad he owes me,” Angie recently told Vanity Fair magazine. He’s had a few months off in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, with the children.

Now, realistically, that’s NOT something us regular moms and dads can do, but — in Brad and Angelina world, it is do-able and the fact that they take their children EVERYWHERE and trade-off working, makes their commitment clear.

Okay, this sounds obvious, but when was the last time you,# 1 made it clear to your hubby that you were deeply and madly in love with him for life, and, #2 made sure that your kids saw you being all lovey dovey together and that you actually told them that mommy and daddy would be together forever.

Kids love security! They love knowing that the two people they love most in the world, love each other and will be there together to hug and snuggle and protect them forever.

“He’s of course, the love of my life,” Angie sighed to ABC News about Brad.  Yeah, we’d feel the same way too!

• Angie is completely into “Family Sleep!”: “That means everybody crawls into our bed.  And  we actually have a giant bed,” Angelina revealed to Vanity Fair. “Everybody files in and it breaks all the rules… we’re thinking of building a room just for family sleep.”

Shrinks be dammed, we’re one of the only cultures on earth that believes babies should be “ferberized” — ie cruelly allowed to scream until they fall asleep, so they’ll sleep alone in their own cribs!  I’m with Angie — kid kid cuddles all night long can only lead to more secure kids.

• Angelina admits that parenting is “exhausting,” but still worth it: And she manages to do it with a smile. Now any member of the parent club quickly finds out that being a parent is punishing, and NOT just when the kids are babies.

But, we mostly don’t go along happily with the relentless exhaustion — and instead, we tend to freak out about it. I say-  isn’t it better to adopt the Angelina attitude — “In the morning, we’re so tired… and we always look at each other and wonder, like, are we ever going to get sleep?, “she admits.”Still, she and Brad have come to the conclusion that “it doesn’t matter if you don’t get sleep. It’s an honor to take care of ” her children,  she believes.

You’ve got to hand it to her! I think we spend so much time worrying that we’re taking years off our lives due to sleep deprivation, when it’s actually the “I’m -not- getting -enough- sleep” itself worry, that’s slicing the years off . I  agree that sleep is highly overrated and if  not getting 8 hours a night was enough to shorten your lifespan, I’d be long gone by now!

Angelina has other parenting pluses — she’s not ready to add another child to the family, unless she and Brad feel they have enough time to raise each child they already have, really well, and she doesn’t try to force daughter Shiloh out of the boys clothes she loves, and into girly outfits. But there’s no way she’s perfect.

Still, I think you can high five her on these five parent points. Decide for yourself- watch her on ABC ‘s Nightline! Clip below.

– Bonnie Fuller

Check Out More on This Famous Family

Twisted Waters

Posted at 6:01 PM on September 7, 2010

She doesn’t need to work that much, those kids are deprived of natural nuturing by BOTH OF THOSE IDIOTIC MEDIA WHORE PARENTS!

i love taylor lautner 101

Posted at 2:54 PM on September 6, 2010

it must be so hard for Angelina to juggle work and all of her kids but she does a great job at it

hopeso

Posted at 7:56 PM on July 14, 2010

Great interview! Love her..I am a big fan of Angelina Jolie, god bless her and Brad and their family.

FloB

Posted at 12:09 PM on July 14, 2010

I really admire Angelina, in the past I didn’t, but recently she really has earned my admiration. Since the filming of The Tourist with Mr. Depp and all the positive news coming from that set I have changed my mind about her and think she is great.

obgyn

Posted at 6:27 AM on July 14, 2010

She is sort of strange and I think she will give Brad a hard time but, I think she is a wonderful mother.
She deserves mom of the year.

moralitypolice

Posted at 2:49 AM on July 14, 2010

No way. Sorry. A good mom does not go off to work super long hours while her kids are still in diapers, especially when she has millions in the bank account. It doesn’t matter if she leaves the kids with Brad (and an army of nannies). Little kids want mom. If she cares that much about her children, she would stay home with them for a few years at least.

galey

Posted at 7:46 PM on July 13, 2010

Comparing her to Dina Lohan is ridiculous – Makes the poll bogus…She certainly DOES NOT deserve the title “mother of the year” – absurd thought!

Zweiback

Posted at 3:18 PM on July 13, 2010

This column is an insult to those of us parents who do not have half a billion dollars in the bank and don’t have the luxury of alternating $12-million gigs with our mates.

BTW, we know NOTHING about these people other than the information they choose to release to us. Would we make a judgement on anyone else’s parenting skills (or anything else) based on such controlled information?

wren

Posted at 11:48 AM on July 13, 2010

I do think Angie is a good mother, and Brad a good father. You may see them actively before movie premiers, but the rest of the time they are outta site. Not partying…not at the latest hot spot…not even attending industry schmooze fests. I believe they are genuinely into raising their children and loving every minute of the chaos. Do they have it a little easier than the rest of us? Yeah. But then I can go to walmart and not get mobbed by papparazi. My child can cry after I yell at them, and only I consider myself a bad parent, I don’t have to read about some random persons thoughts on my parenting skills. An overview of Brad and Angie is they are together happy (and for the kids also), making sure the lil’ ones see all aspects of life, and not from a “aren’t you glad you are not them” point of view, but from a “we are all connected” point of view. Nice to see where the exchange is even. They are changing these childrens lives, while these children are changing theirs. At the end of the day, it is them in their house, and we are not included in their thoughts. Now that is smart!

gbtw

Posted at 4:18 PM on July 13, 2010

agree wholeheartedly

Kiki B

Posted at 9:27 PM on July 12, 2010

Totally, she has a team of help – employees on a pay roll that take care of her kids – Mother of the Year – Bonnie, you are an idiot! What an insult to women and mothers everywhere who do it for themselves, don’t break up happy homes and avoid plastic surgery. Bonnie, shut up!

gbtw

Posted at 10:48 AM on July 13, 2010

wow. i’m a single mom who does it by herself and i am not insulted by bonnie choosing angelina as mother of the year. every time i hear angie speak about her children i admire how grounded she is and think she is doing a great job. sure, many of us non-celebs are just as good, but bonnie can’t nominate me…

cheryl

Posted at 4:25 PM on July 13, 2010

I SO Agree — you have just slapped me in the Face……Unless Im the only mother that does not have 12 nannies – maid – butler………….Bonnie you need to really stop and think sometimes…..

Kiki B

Posted at 9:24 PM on July 12, 2010

Listen up Angelina Jolie, mother of the year – get real! Angelina Jolie makes me want to ralph. Oh she’s great huh? I’ve known of plenty of European people who adopt children to gain sympathy, when really all they are is selfish. I dislike this home wreaking, tattooed, collagen and articol addicted, self cutting, blood drinking byotch. Go away Angelina! All of her supporters are superficial sheep obsessed with the world of appearances and celebrity narcissism. She’s a phony and complete b****. You love her because you are obsessed with celebrities and have nothing in your head. She’s a pathetic adulteress exempt of morals and that hardly makes her mother of any year. Get yourself a life!

EveryCliche

Posted at 5:52 PM on July 13, 2010

Wow Kiki B you seem to be the one a bit obessed with Angelina. Is she perfect? No, but then again, no one is. You seem to be blaming her for Brad leaving Jen. There were/are two people in that situtation not just Angelina. Brad is just as much to blame as Angie. I think it’s amazing that she adopted children and honestly I don’t care why she adopted them. Those children have an amazing home, get to travel the world with their family and have brothers and sisters (and parents) who love them. You need to get over yourself and maybe try to help the world half as much as Angelina is.

louise77

Posted at 9:20 PM on July 12, 2010

Since when does 3 nannies constitute an army?

just my opinion

Posted at 3:59 PM on July 13, 2010

since when does having 3 nannies constitute mother of the year? I know several live in nannies (what these women are, and yes there is a MASSIVE difference between live-in and just come a couple times a week) it is a 24/7 Job. You are not there to entertain peoples kids while they are off at work, you are there to RAISE them.