EXCLUSIVE! After BET Awards Onstage Breakdown, Chris Brown Sobs Backstage 'This Night Saved My Career!'

Mon, June 28, 2010 1:47am EST by 61 Comments
Loading video...

Chris was so emotional about making his big comeback that he couldn’t stop crying onstage!

Chris Brown is back! The singer brought a surprising amount of emotion to his Michael Jackson tribute performance at the BET Awards Sunday night when he broke down sobbing onstage – and as it turns out, his tears were real.

After hearing that “Cary Grant” would be performing to celebrate the one-year anniversary of MJ’s death, the crowd was shocked to see Chris take the stage at LA’s Shrine Auditorium June 27. After dancing to hits like “Billie Jean” and “Smooth Criminal”, things turned serious when he performed “Man in the Mirror.” The 21-year-old couldn’t stop crying, choking out the words and stumbling as he seemed to beg his fans’ forgiveness for assaulting ex-girlfriend Rihanna more than a year ago. He also seemed to be crying for himself, and the career he nearly lost as a result of his actions.

In addition to his onstage meltdown, the REAL waterworks occurred backstage, HollywoodLife.com can exclusively report. “This night saved my life, and my career. Thank you for everything,” he told pal Ray J backstage. The men hugged twice before Chris started welling up once again. Our eyewitness adds that his tears were genuine, and he seemed both relieved and elated to finally have his career back on track.

Chris does seem to be making a huge comeback. In addition to having the support of the Jackson family – he and MJ’s brother, Jermaine, walked offstage arm-in-arm, crying together – Chris also beat Justin Bieber (gasp!) for BET’s “Fandemonium” (fan pick) award, saying in his acceptance speech, “I let you guys down before, but I promise I won’t do it again.”

Chris, consider “Man in the Mirror” your official “Redemption Song.”

Laura Schreffler & Russ Weakland

guest3

Posted at 3:15 PM on June 29, 2010

THE CB AND MJ HATERS R HOBKNOCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

Posted at 2:05 PM on June 29, 2010

So I have myself been a victim of domestic abuse, so i am going to speek from experience. I do believe that everyone deserves a chance to make a mistake, pay for that mistake, and learn from it. Brown made a mistake and he has paid for that mistake for the past 18 months or whatever it is. Yea, he may have known better that when he was doing it he shouldn’t have been doing what he did. But for those of you who are old enough to understand what went down and be on here critisizing, ask yourself…..haven’t you ever done ANYTHING that you knew was wrong? Im sure you have whether you wanna put yourself out there or not. I’m not even a “fan” of Brown, just hear things here and there, but have followed the “domestic” part of it due to what I have been through. Anyway, I think he deserves forgiveness. And there are two ways of looking at what happened on that stage. 1-He could have pissed a lot of people off by not really completing and messing up the tribute to MJ, so why would he purposely do that? That could have pissed people off enough to say keep your personal *ish to yourself or 2)he was genuinely singing the song and felt bad, just give him that either way. everyone has a heart and emotions and breakdowns like what he had….well, I believe it was real. Just my OPINION on it….

destiney

Posted at 4:23 PM on June 29, 2010

awww im so proud of em it really shws how many people care about em im happy he took home an award i voted at least one hundred times for em bt trey songz won it bt u cant say trey didnt do it big this year but to me itz all about chris lol ily chris.

destiney

Posted at 4:25 PM on June 29, 2010

hunnie we nt tlkn bt da issue of chris brown and rihanna we tlkn bout da bet awards. so yeah jsy ltn u o dat

MJ&CBFan(:

Posted at 1:57 PM on June 29, 2010

Chris danced his ass of the night of the awards, no one, and I mean NO ONE can not say he didn’t if you like him or not. I participated in he challenges for Chris to win the fandemonium award, he really appreciated it. When he made his thank you speech he said he wasn’t letting his fans down again. Why can’t most of you take this into consideration and actually forgive him. You don’t have to forget what happened but damn at least forgive him. Chris does not have to apologize every single time someone brings up Rihanna’s name, but for the people that don’t wanna see him succeed, I hope you don’t think your perfect yourself.

"L"

Posted at 1:55 PM on June 29, 2010

Folks, I know deep down inside you know that Chris made a mistake, and I know you realize it takes TWO, not just one person to make that mistake. This man has paid his dues, please forgive him and move on. He accomplished a number of things on the BET Awards show, he ask the public and Rhianna to once again forgive him, and gave tribute to his personal icon Michael Jackson. Now all of you do the right thing, please.

BreezyFan

Posted at 1:30 PM on June 29, 2010

I’m a huge Chris Brown fan and been supporting him since ever, I’ll always be supporting him no matter what. The performance he gave the night of the BET awards absolutely amazed every single person who witnessed it. He did such an amazing job and people should start appreciating his attempts to coming back, but actually he never fell, he has had his fans and never lost them. He’s such an incredible successful performer/singer/dancer and knows exactly what to do.
I think Chris cried on Man In The Mirror not only because it’s a bit related to his life story, but also because CB is number one MJ’s hugest fan!
If I had one wish to be true right now, Id wish to meet Chris Brown just to let him know how proud of him I am, all TEAMBREEZY are indeed!
We love you Chris, and will ALWAYS be there for you :)<3

guest

Posted at 1:05 PM on June 29, 2010

AND ALSO RHIANNA WAS IN DISS TOO SO DNT PLAY VICTIMS HERE DNT MAKE CHRIS BROWN DA MAIN SUSPECT HERE CUZZ SHE PLAYED A ROLE IN THIS TOO SO STOP MAKING HIM SEEM LIKE A BAD PERSON…! EVEN THOUGH HE DID A BAD THING STILL FORGIVE HIM

guest

Posted at 1:00 PM on June 29, 2010

@LCCLS STOP! UR SO SELFISH ITS DIFFERNET WHEN ITS WIT U CUZZ U WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO BELIEVE U BUT U DNT WANNA BELIEVE IN DEM! WATS UR PROBLEM..? HE MADE A MISTAKE END OF STORY GOSH! MOVE ON ALREADY I SWEAR U PPL CANT GET PAST OLD STUFF EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES MOVE ON STOP TLKING BOUT DA PAST. GOD BELIVES ND LUVS U Y CANT U DO DA SAME FOR CHRIS BROWN! STOP BEING SO HATEFUL OR UR NOT B BELIEVED IN HOW WLD U LIKE IT IF SUMONE DIDNT BELIVE IN U BUT U WANT DEM TO BELIEVE U..! REALLY.?! U NEED TO GET A LIFE AND STOP HATING MOVE FOWARD INSTEAD OF BACK!!!!!!! GOSH! STOP ALREADY!HE DIDD ALL HE CAN NOW STOP LEAVE HIM ALONE! SRRY THIS LONG BUT IM PROVING A POINT! HE DONE ALL HE CLD SO TAKE A CHILL PILL AND LEAVE HIM ALONE NO ONE WANTS TO B CRITIZED FOR DA REST OF THEIR LIFES HES STARTING OVER LET HIM HANDLE DAT WI GOD NOT U THINK WATEVA U WANT BUT ONLY GOD CAN REALLY ACCEPT HIS APOLOGY.THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WIT U SO CHILL OUT ALREADY DAT WAS A YEAR AND A HALF AGO U SHLD B SAYING HATEFUL STUFF TO PEOPLE DAT KILL AND MURDER AND STEAL LIE AND CHEAT IM SURE UVE DNE SUM OF THOSE THINGS AND DNT PRETEND LIKE U HAVENT GOD KNOWS WAT MISTAKES EVERYONE HAS MADE SO FORGIVE HIM IF U DNT FORGIVE DEN DAT SHOWS DAT UR NOT WILLING TO FORGIVE GOD IF HE DID SUMTHING WRONG LUK AT IT DAT WAY BFORE U CRITISIZE!

mimi

Posted at 11:01 AM on June 29, 2010

Whau! thats intertaining…..what else can he do?? oh yes I know what he can do????

Lccls

Posted at 11:46 PM on June 28, 2010

ikant belive you lames belive him

gbtw

Posted at 2:02 PM on June 29, 2010

newsflash, it’s not lame to forgive and hope. you sound too young to be so bitter. too bad.

guest

Posted at 10:56 PM on June 28, 2010

SUM OF U PEOPLE R SO HATEFUL!THX U TO ALL U PEOPLE DAT FORGIVE AND MOVED ON! STOP BRINGING OLD STUFF UP AND MOVE FOWARD BCUZZ IF U KEEP BRINGING THE OLD UP U CAN NEVER MOVE ON IN LIFE AND START OVER.U PEOPLE R SO SELFISH AND INSICURE ABOUT FORGIVENESS BUT YET U CALL URSELF A CHILD OF GOD IF U WERE REALLY A CHILD OF GOD U WLD LEARN TO FORGIVE. THINK ABOUT IT NO ONE IS PERFECT EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES PEOPLE WERE ALL DA SAME ALL HUMAN BEINGS.U SHLD APPRECIATE FROM GOD DAT EVERY TIME U MAKE A MISTAKE U R FORGIVEN EVEN IF ITS HARD TO FORGIVE STILL TAKE THE TIME TO FORGIVE. JESUS FORGAVE THE PEOPLE THAT KILLED HIM. INSTEAD OF BEING HATEFUL WE NEED TO LOVE EACH OTHER WERE ALL GODS CHILDREN EVEN IF U DNT BELIEVE IN HIM HE LUVS U STILL. LIKE CHRIS BROWN HE KNOW WHAT HE DID WAS WRONG BUT HE WANTS TO START OVER WHAT IF GOD NEVER LET U START UR LIFE OVER AND PEOPLE NEVER FORGAVE U SEE ITS DIFFERNT WHEN ITS WIT U BCUZZ U WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO FORGIVE U BUT U WONT FORGIVE THEM.DATS WATS WRONG WIT DISS WORLD TODAY GOD WANTS EVERYONE TO B IN PEACE INSTEAD OF HATEFUL TO EACH OTHER EVERYONE THINKS THEY RULE OVER THE WORLD AND WANTS THIS AND THAT BUT U SHLD APPRECIATE WAT U HAVE NOW.IF WE DNT STOP THIS HATEFULNESS GOD WILL NEVER FORGIVE US LIKE REMEBER WHEN GOD FLOODED THE EARTH NEXT ITLL B FIRE.SO JUSS THINK ND REMEBERWAHT I SAID PLZ TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION. GOD WILL BE VERY HAPPY WHEN WERE ALL UNITED AS ONE. :)

mimi

Posted at 11:03 AM on June 29, 2010

LOOOOONG story…..

rereee

Posted at 7:29 PM on June 28, 2010

Chris Brown made a mistake I’m sure he is not the only one. No one could have performed Michael Jackson better then he did every step and hand move was like Michael was there in person I hope and pray that now Chris can move on with his life and make music and movies like he was created to do, only this time I hope that his lyrics aren’t destrucktive and that he stays true to him self and not try and go gangsta just make good clean music.

Denise

Posted at 6:46 PM on June 28, 2010

I dont buy those tears for one second!

MSLILI82

Posted at 9:36 PM on June 28, 2010

So I am going to assume that you don’t have a heart as well, right? Get outta of her! I can not believe all the crazy people saying his tears were fake. Why would he go on national tv and start crying through the whole song? Do you not know what he has been through this last year and half? Plus, MJ was his idol and he was suppose to meet him on the day that he passed away, do the research. I’m guessing not! Why would he humiliate himself on tv for publicity! Are you kidding! Yes, what he did was wrong, and yes he has apologized numerous of times. Go fly a kite those of you who will not forgive and let go!

vibe

Posted at 5:29 PM on June 28, 2010

The only perfect man to ever walk tis earth was JESUS, he has already suffer what he did wasnt right , but the man deserves a chance, how many of you have wanted fogiveness an was forgiven. GOD is a forgiven GOD hes already forgiven him.

lora wimes

Posted at 3:24 PM on June 28, 2010

i think chris b has done all he can do and making it right with everyone i dont think he was crying about what he did i think he was thinking about m.jackson

Tavia

Posted at 2:57 PM on June 28, 2010

HE WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE…..OMG… How many times must one say I’m sorry. the world dont have a haven or hell to put Chris Brown in. Meaning only GOD could judge this man… I feel the performance is sincere its a mixture of missing Micheal Jackson and sorry for the wrong he did. Like MJ wrote take a look at yourself and make a change.

Forgive, forgive, forgive and MOVE ON…. DANG!!!!!

MSLILI82

Posted at 9:37 PM on June 28, 2010

Girl, AMEN!!! I could’nt have said it better!

Bonnie Fuller

Posted at 2:09 PM on June 28, 2010

i was appalled by what Chris did to Rihanna but I think that people- who haven’t murdered- deserve a second chance in life. He was young. Let’s hope that he has had successful counselling and has truly learned from his terrible mistake. There would be no point in people working hard to redeem themselves if we didn’t give them the chance to prove, that they have changed.
I’m willing to let Chris prove to us that he’s a changed man.

gbtw

Posted at 2:41 PM on June 28, 2010

i agree.

Dixon

Posted at 2:52 PM on June 28, 2010

Thank you! Some people are so heartless thinking that their judgment and unwillingness to forgive is somehow making the world a better place. People like to preach about compassion, forgiveness and redemption but don’t like to practice it, instead rather sit on their high horse feeling like they have a right to treat other people like crap. If you are still hating, and you have been forgiven for something you truly regret doing, be it big or small, you can have a seat!

Of course not everyone is going to see eye to eye and agree on everything. If you don’t want to buy his albums or whatever, you don’t have to! That’s your right! But don’t go and say that he is not remorseful or insincere and not worthy of forgiveness. Forgiveness does NOT equate to tolerance. If you forgive, does not mean you condone what he did, I certainly do not.

I apologize for the long post. That performance really touched my heart. I pray that he will be a better man, and I hope he will get the opportunity to prove that to the world.

Antney

Posted at 1:25 PM on June 28, 2010

Am I the only one disturbed to see women applauding and cheering on a man who beat a woman so brutally that her face was disfigured???

I am not knocking Chris Browns talent. Even tho there was not much singing in that performance. I am not buying the crybaby stuff onstage. Obvious publicity stunt, especially if he was boasting about how that just saved his career backstage.

But he deserves his humiliation. It was self inflicted. Hopefully he has changed his ways, and won’t make the “mistake” of beating a woman just because he can.

julie

Posted at 1:46 PM on June 28, 2010

I’m not condoning what Chris did to Rihanna.However I don’t think it’s fair that Rihanna gets to play the VICTIM……she needs to take responsibility for her part in
this incident with Chris.Why do we seem to think it’s funny when a woman slaps or hits a man.However we get outraged when it’s the man hitting the woman.What happened to equal rights?

jackie

Posted at 10:12 PM on June 28, 2010

rihanna didn’t play a victim, she was one. the media hypes up the “roles”. what does one deserve for getting their face punched in and bite marks? chris was way out of line. forgiveness someday sure, we can move on, but don’t use over exaggerated tears and an MJ platform to “save your career”.

R campbell

Posted at 4:31 PM on June 29, 2010

Right, and then why would he say, “This night saved my career” if it wasn’t all calculated? I’m all for forgiveness too, but does one earn that by simply saying, “I’m sorry?” You have to do the repair work to earn your forgiveness, and I don’t see where Mr. Brown has actually done that. Yeah, he’s had a tough year, but that’s not punishment–he is just dealing with the fallout of his actions. Has he gotten counseling? Has he actually demonstrated that he has changed his mindset? I see no evidence of that. I guess time will tell. If that makes me a hater, so be it. But I actually want to see the guy get his career back, if in fact he is sincere about turning over a new leaf. He doesn’t have to prove it to me though. He has to behave appropriately and prove it to himself.

John G

Posted at 1:15 PM on June 28, 2010

This night saved my career!!! I almost lost my career for beating up that B@#!!!#$ girl! BoooHooo! I have alot of emotion ladys! Its all about me! I’m a narcissist! No one else has my talent to dance, sing and act prissy, or my manufactured career except maybe everyone on the top ten. Boohoooo…. Me Me Me….

Dixon

Posted at 2:41 PM on June 28, 2010

WTF are you goin on about? You sound so f*cking stupid…like SHUT THE F*CK UP!! My God, you people don’t have an OUNCE of COMPASSION in you???

John G

Posted at 2:44 PM on June 28, 2010

Dixon

Posted at 2:53 PM on June 28, 2010

that explains it lol…smh

gbtw

Posted at 2:56 PM on June 28, 2010

too bad. you’ll be seeking forgiveness from someone one day, and wanting the world to believe you are not a static individual defined by one act of your life. he may make a fool of us well wishers, but i’m hoping for the best from this young man. he owned up to what he did, pleaded guilty, and didn’t hide behind lawyers and pr people. i’m ready to give him a chance.

heather

Posted at 3:20 PM on June 28, 2010

Damn straight! What a complete narcissist – he made this whole thing about himself; searching for ‘forgiveness’. The very fact that he cries about how that night saved his career says it all. He didn’t even perform the song, he totally eclipsed the event. What a performance!

And yes, it is totally creepy to watch WOMEN go all googledy eyed over a man who beat his girlfriend’s face in. Disgusting.

MSLILI82

Posted at 9:55 PM on June 28, 2010

Ok you have hatred in yur heart it seems. Apparently, you didn’t watch bc when he first came out on stage he did sing, he song to “Remember the time” and danced to “Smooth Criminal”, “Billie Jean”, and he chocked up on “Man in the Mirror”. Get over it, and stop being so judgemental.

mimi

Posted at 12:54 PM on June 28, 2010

America is very brave always to give people second chances?but he is NOT on my HOTLIST and will NEVER be?

G-shock

Posted at 10:06 AM on June 28, 2010

His performance was AMAZING. I cannot understand the ignorance of people to be unable to see past the 1 mistake of a then 19 year old kid. Chris Brown is a phenomenal artist who write, sings and dances to his own music. Not many musicians out their can say they can do all 3. We all know at this stage what happened between him & Rihanna was a big mistake on his part. BUT he took his punishment & who are we to deny him another chance. ‘Let he who is without sin case the 1st stone.’

heather

Posted at 3:56 PM on June 28, 2010

You people whining about “forgiveness” don’t get it, it’s not about forgiveness or grudges or lack thereof, it was inappropriate for Chris Brown SO CLEARLY to use a TRIBUTE to MJ as a platform for him to receive said forgiveness. This was a tribute to MJ, not supposed to be a “forgiveness stunt” for CB

Carinna

Posted at 8:53 AM on June 28, 2010

I really didn’t care about what he did.
Remember when the Michael rumors about kids and stuff came out? I was always a fan of him and I stayed a fan of Chris’.

Anna

Posted at 12:09 AM on June 29, 2010

That’s exactly why I hope Lady Gaga does something crazy enough this week to take his shine. The FANS of his that keep asking for forgiveness never cared that he beat Rihanna in the first place. He himself didn’t care until he saw that his career took a dive because of it. With that being said he doesn’t deserve anything until him and his fans show a little humility.

Tiffany

Posted at 2:46 AM on June 28, 2010

I love that this site gave Chris Brown a chance to prove himself once again. I was on Perez Hilton’s page, and it disgust me.

Chris Brown is a human being, just like you and I. we all make mistakes and since he is famous, he got dealt a bigger hand in the situation. no one is perfect, and honestly, its better that way. there are WORST situations out in this world, and people act like his incident was the WORST thing ever. he’s obviously learned his mistake and i do NOT see him as a bad guy.

I’ve been his fan since DAY ONE and i will continue on supporting him.

gbtw

Posted at 2:48 PM on June 28, 2010

perez hilton’s site is disgusting, as is he. sadly, he has made himself an icon being the very epitome of what disgusted you. yet, he expects hollywood to open its arms to his disgusting soul. foo. i had to stop going to his website despite the fact that he posts a good quantity of information. he sickens me. he is a vile human being.

Muffy

Posted at 2:26 AM on June 28, 2010

The best tribute so far!

nickz

Posted at 2:16 AM on June 28, 2010

he is..lets go breeezy

Greg

Posted at 2:00 AM on June 28, 2010

hes not back.

shaye

Posted at 2:46 PM on June 28, 2010

to all the people bashing him even Jermaine Jackson was amused this is the Jackson’s family wish so please respect that.