EXCLUSIVE! After BET Awards Onstage Breakdown, Chris Brown Sobs Backstage 'This Night Saved My Career!'

Mon, June 28, 2010 1:47am EDT by 61 Comments
Loading video...

Chris was so emotional about making his big comeback that he couldn’t stop crying onstage!

Chris Brown is back! The singer brought a surprising amount of emotion to his Michael Jackson tribute performance at the BET Awards Sunday night when he broke down sobbing onstage – and as it turns out, his tears were real.

After hearing that “Cary Grant” would be performing to celebrate the one-year anniversary of MJ’s death, the crowd was shocked to see Chris take the stage at LA’s Shrine Auditorium June 27. After dancing to hits like “Billie Jean” and “Smooth Criminal”, things turned serious when he performed “Man in the Mirror.” The 21-year-old couldn’t stop crying, choking out the words and stumbling as he seemed to beg his fans’ forgiveness for assaulting ex-girlfriend Rihanna more than a year ago. He also seemed to be crying for himself, and the career he nearly lost as a result of his actions.

In addition to his onstage meltdown, the REAL waterworks occurred backstage, HollywoodLife.com can exclusively report. “This night saved my life, and my career. Thank you for everything,” he told pal Ray J backstage. The men hugged twice before Chris started welling up once again. Our eyewitness adds that his tears were genuine, and he seemed both relieved and elated to finally have his career back on track.

Chris does seem to be making a huge comeback. In addition to having the support of the Jackson family – he and MJ’s brother, Jermaine, walked offstage arm-in-arm, crying together – Chris also beat Justin Bieber (gasp!) for BET’s “Fandemonium” (fan pick) award, saying in his acceptance speech, “I let you guys down before, but I promise I won’t do it again.”

Chris, consider “Man in the Mirror” your official “Redemption Song.”

Laura Schreffler & Russ Weakland

Drama Method

Posted at 2:44 AM on October 10, 2014

If you desire to increase your knowledge only keep
visiting this website and be updated with the latest gossip posted
here.

lynette

Posted at 9:36 PM on July 1, 2010

this is my opinion, when i saw chris brown perform the mj tribute i was blown away because it felt like the spirit of michael was on that stage with chris brown!! i wish only the best for chris and i will always feel that his performance was genuine and emotional for him. LOL

stacyann

Posted at 4:23 PM on July 1, 2010

LEAVE CHRIS THE HELL ALONE! I have had enough of this FOOLISHNESS! He had 1 fight almost 2 years ago we got it. Eminem beat his wife Kim Mathers but nobody questions his sincerity when he says he is now off of drugs and will never BEAT another women. Chris is young and you ppl are sick for constantly trying to harash him. He is the best live performer we have left after MJ. I love his music and his positive light. U ROCK to me CHRIS!

Lady

Posted at 3:33 PM on July 1, 2010

Ummm the video when I clicked on it was not detected…can someone tell me what was in the video? Was it a clip from him backstage crying or was it his performance?

TruDiva

Posted at 1:25 PM on June 30, 2010

Chris Brown is still young. He has been in the lime light since his teen years and people need to understand that part of him. He is not correct in hitting Rihanna, but we only know 1 side of the story, when in reality there are 3 sides: his side, her side, and the truth. If Chris Brown was white, we would not be crucifying him or his career. There is also a huge double standard. Women hit on men as well. And if we teach her daughters not to ake such abuse, why should we allow our sons to take the abuse????

I love and support Chris Brown. He made a mistake, admitted to his faults and has been working hard to change. What else do you want for the young man? He is not a bad person, he simply took part in a bad action. We all have made mistakes the difference is that we are ble to do them in private and correct ourselves without being judged by the public. If you no longer like him kick rocks and don’t listet to him. But I think his fans will prove that he is still loved.

gbtw

Posted at 3:42 PM on June 30, 2010

i agree with you. i also think the strongest indicator of a person’s character is what they do when they lose, not when they win. (it’s easy to be a winner.) he did not hide behind lawyers and pr rhetoric and has tried to be a better man since that horrible rihanna incident. i wish him the best of luck conquering whatever it is that made him act badly before.

Mel

Posted at 9:56 PM on June 30, 2010

If Chris Brown were white we sure would be crucifying him and his career! You invalidated the rest of what was a thoughtful statement by throwing down the race card. Shame on you.

stacyann

Posted at 4:30 PM on July 1, 2010

That statement is true! Jerry Seinfeld was “datig 17 yr old high school Soshauna Loinsten but he never was called a pedophile. Eminem beat his wife Kim and made many songs about killing her and nobody said a word against him. Mickey Rourke beat his wife Carrie Otis but received the 09 Golden Globe. Sean Penn beat & raped superstar ex-wife Madonna and won an Oscar in 09. Steven Seagal beat wife Kelly LeBrock on the set of a movie while they were filming and he is now the star of A&E’s “Law Man”! If he were a TEENAGE WHITE KID like Justin Bieber this would never have been given the publicity it has. Teenage Chris Brown had 1 fight with Rihanna and the police report said she HIT HIM 1ST. Why aren’t ppl ,mad she beat on him and started that mess?

Jason

Posted at 11:23 AM on June 30, 2010

Woman-beater: It’s still all about *you,* isn’t it? “Saved my career.” That’s all it ever is. Crocodile tears because of all the money you’re losing. You’re sick and pathetic.

Do you believe the public is so gullible as to fall for your act, shedding a few waterworks, and think we’ll all just forget you nearly KILLED Rihanna, then exploded at Wal-Mart, and went crazy on Twitter? Those are just 3 examples of your insanity.

Wake up, people, and forced this guy out of showbiz and the public consciousness for GOOD. “Saved my career.” See? It’s all about CB and his money, folks. Don’t be fooled again.

stacyann

Posted at 4:33 PM on July 1, 2010

I don’t believe he said anything about “SAVING MY CAREER” That sounds like MEDIA EXTRA applied Drivel! That doesn’t sound like something Chris would say. Ppl need to stop being such media tools and think for yourself sometimes! And you STFU!

lucey

Posted at 4:41 PM on June 29, 2010

I was a victim of abuse, And that’s the worst thing a man can do to a woman, That wasn’t the first time that he abused me. It happen over and over again, the last time he almost killed me. That was it. I never can forget that night. But Thank God it’s over. I think Chris Brown deserves a second chance. I belive he saw his self in the that mirror and didn’t like what he was. You deserves a chance. Don’t let us down.

Yeah, but....

Posted at 4:28 PM on June 29, 2010

What bugged me about it was it was all about him. This was a memorial moment for MIchael Jackson, and it became about “my career”. He deserves forgiveness, we all make mistakes, he has taken responsibility…yada yada yada. I don’t believe those tears were for Michael.

gbtw

Posted at 3:45 PM on June 30, 2010

maybe the tears weren’t for michael. it’s okay that the night had two meanings for him.

Kry

Posted at 3:13 AM on July 1, 2010

Some people talk about this guy like he is a grown man! He is barely that, and when he did what he did to Rhiana, he was just a boy! I DO NOT and WILL NEVER believe that what happened with that whole situation is okay, but I do think that it’s time to let it go!

CB was very close to MJ! Did it ever occur to anyone that by giving his tribute performance to his idol, he also managed to save his career, and THAT FACT is what was so profound for him? In a way, maybe he’s feeling like MJ saved his “life” and by that I mean his “career” because that is all he knows!

We shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover, and I think it actually says alot that he hasn’t commented on his performance. He was clearly moved during the performance and it was EXTRAORDINARY to watch! As fans, how much more should we be asking for?

P.S. The race comment? Dumb.

redbonesess

Posted at 8:44 PM on July 3, 2010

The real tragedy here is, Chris Brown took a moment in someone else’s spotlight and made it about him. The tribute was intended for the rememberance of the King of Pop, and all anyone can talk about is Chris Brown and the revival of his career. I personally think he should have never been penalized for striking Rihanna, after all it takes two to fight and she even admitted to striking him first. While everyone is pointing fingers at him, who pointed one at her and her upbringing? She should have been taught if you pass a lick you recieve a lick.