BEHIND THE SCENES! Lauren's Lyrical Hip-Hop About Abuse On 'SYTYCD' Was Brilliant — But Hit A Little Too Close To Home

Thu, June 24, 2010 8:30am EDT by 8 Comments
Loading video...

18-year-old Lauren Froderman stole the show with her emotional performance on So You Think You Can Dance, but she told us the sad story of why she never wants to do it again

Whoa — talk about a sob session. Lauren Froderman and All-Star Dominic Sandoval‘s heart-wrenching portrayal of an abusive relationship on So You Think You Can Dance last night, June 23, took season seven of Fox’s hit reality show to a much deeper level.

The lyrical hip-hop routine, which was choreographed by new SYTYCD member Tessandra Chavez to Beyonce‘s ‘If I Were A Boy,’ was the stand out performance of the night thanks to 18-year-old Lauren’s realistic portrayal of a girl being abused. But even though judge Adam Shankman praised the normally bubbly blond for becoming “an actor,” Lauren told us she wasn’t actually acting at all.

“I don’t know how much of that is true because actually, this dance was really personal for me. It was real emotion,” she revealed to reporters backstage after the show. “In a way it was really me, and I was really sharing my pain with everybody and hoping that they would accept that.”

Not only did the judges (and the audience) accept Lauren’s pain — they praised her for one of the strongest performances of the evening, which was something the choreographer, Tessandra, didn’t expect only one day before.

Tessandra told HollywoodLife.com exclusively Lauren wasn’t bringing it in rehearsals and was completely devoid of all emotion — what she didn’t realize was how sensitive the topic of abuse is in Lauren’s personal life. It was only after the dancer had a mini-breakdown Tuesday, June 22, that she allowed her pent-up frustration and sadness to emote through her performance.

Watch the video to catch the rest of Lauren’s telling interview. What dance did you like most last night?

Kirstin Benson

Read More on So You Think You Can Dance!

1. Cute Can Only Get You So Far On ‘SYTYCD’ — Sorry, But You Had To Go, Alexie Agdeppa!
  2. What Were The ‘SYTYCD’ Judges Smoking? Alex & Allison’s Dance Was NOT The Best Ever!
  3. ‘SYTYCD’ Contestant Ashley Confesses Her Love For Ashley Tisdale’s Ex-BF On Live TV!

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Stefan

Posted at 9:50 AM on July 15, 2013

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. Nevertheless think about if you
added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”!

Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this blog could undeniably be
one of the very best in its niche. Superb blog!

Lauren

Posted at 2:01 PM on June 24, 2010

I just wrote an extremely long comment, with my thought on each dance and who I would put in the bottom three, but it did not post for some reason, and I am so mad that I am not going to write it all again!! Just know that I am interested in sytycd and your posts about it.

R Atkins

Posted at 10:47 AM on June 24, 2010

“It was real emotion,” she revealed to reporters backstage after the show.

Ummm… that’s what acting *IS*–real emotion, not something fake.

Kirstin Benson

Posted at 12:03 PM on June 24, 2010

I understand what you’re saying, and even though she didn’t say it technically correct, Lauren was trying to explain she wasn’t playing a character. She was just being herself because she’s been in abusive situations before.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:40 AM on June 24, 2010

Uh … can we talk about that awkward farm guy? I don’t watch the show regularly, but I caught the last performance. He might possibly be the next Clay Aiken in terms of reality TV awkwardness (…and obvious yet somehow unstated homosexuality lol)

scarla

Posted at 10:09 AM on June 24, 2010

The JUDGES insist the partnering and routines are random, but
they’ve given cute, little, gay, Kent sexual numbers 2 weeks running. Off with the boring girls, let Kent dance with a guy;]

scarla

Posted at 9:34 AM on June 24, 2010

Honestly Kirsten, I couldn’t feel any more apathetic than I
do. The show was just boring last night.

Kirstin Benson

Posted at 11:50 AM on June 24, 2010

scarla — you thought the show was boring?! Wow! It must be different when you’re actually in the studio, because I was thoroughly entertained.

Did you see the Bollywood number? It was AWFUL and HYSTERICAL. What about Billy’s crunk number? So freakin funny!