EXCLUSIVE! Experts Agree: Kelly Preston's Pregnancy At 47 'Not Natural!' She Must Have Used 'A Donor Egg & In Vitro!'

Sun, June 20, 2010 5:34pm EST by 22 Comments
INFphoto.com

INFphoto.com

It’s no “miracle” or “wonder” that Kelly got pregnant in her late forties. She just decided she wanted to have another kid!

There’s nothing natural about Kelly Preston getting pregnant at the age of 47 experts agree. “The chances of getting naturally pregnant at the age of 47 are almost slim to NONE,” Dr. Brad Douglas, OB/GYN and Women’s Health Expert on JustAnswer.com, says to HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY. “I have never seen a woman naturally pregnant past the age of 45, and most who do get pregnant usually miscarry due to the genetic problems with eggs after a woman has turned 40.”

“At the age of 40, only 1% of a woman’s eggs are available and viable,” continues Dr. Douglas. “At the age of 42/43, that drops to about 0.1% of viable eggs. So, by the time someone is 47, you’re probably talking about 1 in 10,000 chances of actually getting pregnant naturally. That is given trying for 1 year constantly.”

“It’s common knowledge in the medical/fertility world that it is extremely unlikely that a woman will conceive using her own eggs after the age of 43,” confirms Lauri Berger de Brito, Co-Director at Agency for Surrogacy Solutions, Inc. & Agency for Fertility Solutions.

“I bet that it is a donated egg” that Kelly used to get pregnant, says Professor Masood Khapamee of NYU School of Medicine. “Donor eggs are often the preferred and most successful method” for a woman Kelly’s age, confirms Dr. Jacques Moritz, Director of Gynecology at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital.

“I think she used IVF — In vitro Fertilzation [the process of fertilizing an egg outside of the womb and then implanting it inside] — with a donor egg,” adds Dr. Douglas.

The whole process “is not risky for the woman herself,” explains Dr. Svetlana Kogan, founder of The Doctors at Trump Place. “However, there is a huge chance that a fetus will have birth defects: for example, a 1 in 40 risk of Down syndrome and a risk of 1 out of 10 for any other birth defects (hydrocephalus — collection fluid in the brain, cardiac malformations, cleft palate, and other chromosomal abnormalities.”

But, “to make sure the baby doesn’t have a genetic abnormality, we do a PGD [preimplantation genetic diagnosis] says Professor Khapamee.

However Kelly got pregnant, Hollywood Life would like to again congratulate her and John Travolta on the big news. We hope everything goes well through this pregnancy!

- Lindsey DiMattina, reporting by Spencer Cain and Sara Kapner

Read More About Kelly Preston’s Pregnancy!

1. Kelly Preston’s New Baby Bump Revealed!
  2. OMG! Kelly Preston’s Baby Bump Is Getting Bigger!

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

no more lies

Posted at 12:53 PM on December 30, 2012

DNA is the key to find out who the mom is. Forensic evidence and swab the moms mouth and we will know who the babies mom is. Kelly then can live in peace?????

atv

Posted at 8:58 AM on April 30, 2012

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve really loved surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your feed and I’m hoping you write once more very soon!

pizza

Posted at 7:56 AM on April 30, 2012

You really make it seem really easy together with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be actually something that I believe I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely extensive for me. I’m looking forward on your subsequent post, I’ll try to get the dangle of it!

pool cleaning

Posted at 1:41 PM on April 14, 2012

Hi there very cool web site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I am satisfied to search out a lot of helpful info right here in the submit, we’d like develop more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

Hip Flask

Posted at 6:26 AM on April 5, 2012

I like reading through a post that can make men and women think. Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

TOEFL Frankfurt

Posted at 10:02 PM on April 4, 2012

Woah this weblog is wonderful i love studying your articles. Stay up the great work! You already know, a lot of people are hunting around for this info, you could aid them greatly.

Older Mama

Posted at 5:38 PM on October 31, 2011

Yes, it’s true it’s rare, but count me among those who got pregnant naturally when the stats said less-than-a-1%-chance. I got pregnant naturally, on the second “try”, at 44 and had my healthy daughter 2 weeks before my 45th birthday. My OB said “statistics are general – your odds are either 0 or 100″ – she was also an older mom who was pregnant naturally at the same time as me, and was 42.

Lindazzz

Posted at 9:43 PM on August 17, 2011

Back in the 1970’s, we had a friend that had a baby at 50 1/2 years of age. She had 7 children born in 3 generations; three in the late 40’s and early 50’s, 2 in the mid 60’s and 2 in the mid to late 70’s. She had 4 grandkids when she had her last 2 kids. These pregnancies were all natural.

Not Buying It

Posted at 1:27 PM on December 14, 2010

I know someone who was 50 years old, hadn’t had a period in two years and was told by doctors she absolutely could not get pregnant anymore. No chance. She was done.

So, she and her husband stopped using birth control. And guess what? She got pregnant. The natural way.

Meg

Posted at 5:44 AM on November 30, 2010

Women shouldn’t look to celebrity pregnancies for examples of what they can do for having a natural pregnancy and baby at late age. Even if can get pregnant, then there is a high miscarriage rate (50% or greater).

Probably their pregnancy is from donor egg or donor embryo baby using IVF methods.

Another possibility is if a couple has frozen embryos from prior IVF cycles, but hadn’t used them yet. The uterus can carry a baby even past menopause, if given hormonal support. Of course, the woman has to be healthy enough to carry a pregnancy.

But…odds of a natural pregnancy at 47 – 48 is extremely low to nil.

Congratulations to them!

nancy mm

Posted at 3:15 PM on August 21, 2010

I got pregnant naturally at 47. I did miscarry due to trisomy. My sister got pregnant naturally at age 46 and miscarried for a reason unrelated to a problem with the egg or other genetic issues. So while it is true that it is harder to get pregnant/carry to term, it is not impossible.

Joy

Posted at 8:53 AM on June 21, 2010

I had my child at 45 and definately no IVF. Totally natural. My daughter is now 10 and is very beautiful, very healthy and smart. Leave Kelly alone and let her and John be happy and enjoy this wonderful creation of life.

523523g

Posted at 8:47 AM on June 21, 2010

15u-s-d- E-d Ha-rdy, Gu-cci, L–V, Lac–oste T-shirts
31 u–s–d Coa–ch,Gu–cci,L–V,Cha—nel han–dbag,
15u-s-d- Gucci,E–d Ha–rd–y sun–gl—a-sses
cheapmaket.c–om
=================

McKenzie Ryland

Posted at 12:01 AM on July 31, 2010

Sorry to disagree, but many women get pregnant naturally after age 40. However, there is a large number of abortions in women over age 40, so this is why you don’t hear about most of these pregnancies.

And my grandmother got pregnant at 45 and carried the baby to term.

And even if someone does use donor egg or donor sperm, does it matter? Nope. So shut up and leave it alone.

Jenna

Posted at 12:01 AM on June 21, 2010

what a load of crap. I am 47 years old and gave birth to my son 6 months ago. I got pregnant totaly naturaly. Wasn’t even trying. Baby is totaly normal. Congrats to Kelly. Motherhood at our age is interesting and tiring but absolutly wonderful!

Giola

Posted at 6:47 PM on July 6, 2010

Were you trying to get pregnant? I am just wondering for myself, how you know when you are no longer able to get pregnant (vs. menopause)

Sam

Posted at 2:22 PM on September 28, 2010

GREAT question

Sam

Posted at 2:19 PM on September 28, 2010

REALLY???? WOW, that is so inspirational to all older moms out there!!!! All I can say then is: IT WAS GOD’S WILL. Thank you for sharing that!!!

Marie

Posted at 11:42 AM on January 5, 2011

That is wonderful news!! I had my first baby naturally at age 44; one month before turning 45! I would love to have another baby…we are praying that it is God’s will that we have another…and of course we are trying…Congrats!!

swag

Posted at 8:19 PM on June 20, 2010

Who cares how she got pregnant??? I am happy for Kelly and John.

Ariele

Posted at 8:45 PM on June 20, 2010

I agree, who cares how she got pregnant? They have suffered so much with the loss of their son Jade, shame on you for even making this a topic of discussion. I lost my baby 16 years ago, and we were devastated. The birth of my son one year later would never replace Dylan, but it helped heal the hole in our hearts. God Bless Kelly in this journey, they deserve to be happy again….

Vicki

Posted at 11:40 PM on September 8, 2010

That would be Jett – not Jade.