The two stars of 2004 hit flick Mean Girls have gone down very, very different paths!
Amanda Seyfried had a pretty great Sunday night, managing to scoop up an MTV Movie Award for her role in Jennifer’s Body and also scoring a nom for her performance in Dear John. I couldn’t help but notice, however, that sitting in the audience was the star of Amanda’s first big film, Mean Girls – Lindsay Lohan! Outfitted in a pantsuit to hide her alcohol monitoring SCRAM I had to wonder: Shouldn’t SHE be the one with Amanda’s career?
Lindsay’s performance in Mean Girls launched her as one of the biggest actresses in Hollywood, while Amanda was a somewhat minor character, dwarfed by bigger stars including Rachel McAdams and Tina Fey. A mere six years later, she is now the biggest star of the group and perched to become one of Hollywood’s biggest leading ladies.
We decided to break it down and see where it all went right for Amanda… and went so very, very wrong for Lindsay:
- Lindsay stars in the summer blockbuster Mean Girls, and gains instant fame hosting Saturday Night Live and the 2004 MTV Movie Awards. She releases her first album Speak in the fall, which debuts at #4 on Billboard.
- Amanda co-stars alongside Lindsay in Mean Girls, as well as working on the small, but wildly popular WB series Veronica Mars.
- Lindsay pulls in big bucks starring in the flick Herbie: Fully Loaded, which grosses $144 million worldwide. She releases her second album, A Little More Personal, which only reaches #20 on Billboard. She begins to get noticed by the media for her extreme weight loss when photos of her and a very emaciated Nicole Richie surface.
- Amanda stars in two highly regarded independent films, Nine Lives and American Gun, while still working on Mars.
- Lindsay earns $7 million for Just My Luck, which earns a measly $5.7 million in its opening weekend. She does fare better, however, with roles in two major independent hits: Bobby and A Prairie Home Companion. Rumors of alcohol and drug abuse begin to circulate.
- Amanda lands a role as the oldest daughter in the critically acclaimed TV series Big Love while also starring in Sundance sensation Alpha Dog alongside Justin Timberlake.
- Lindsay: This is the year it all goes wrong for her. She films Chapter 27 and I Know Who Killed Me, which are both bombs. She’s hospitalized for “dehydration” on the set of Georgia Rules. She’s then charged with DUI on May 26 and again on July 24. Cocaine is found in her car and/or possession in both instances.
- Amanda lays low filming Big Love. Probably a smart idea.
- Lindsay takes a guest-starring role on the ABC comedy Ugly Betty. She’s unable to accept film roles due to her incredibly high insurance rate.
- Amanda stars alongside Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia, one of the highest grossing films of the year. She continues to star on Big Love.
- Lindsay snags a lead role… but in the ABC Family original movie Labor Pains. She garners most of her press through her tumultuous relationship with DJ Samantha Ronson.
- Amanda finishes her final season on Big Love due to her incredibly crowded film schedule. She stars as a lead in the Diablo Cody-penned Jennifer’s Body and alongside Julianne Moore in Chloe.
- Lindsay has a small role in upcoming film Machete. She attends the 2010 MTV Movie Awards in a ridiculous pantsuit to cover the SCRAM bracelet she is now legally required to wear, preventing her from consuming alcohol.
- Amanda‘s films Dear John and Letters to Juliet open big, securing her status as one of Hollywood’s leading ladies. She will film Red Riding Hood later this year, as well as A Woman of No Importance, a film Lindsay was once attached to.
Lindsay does have the edge over Amanda in one aspect, though. She managed to snag Amanda’s ex Dominic Cooper… after the two broke up.