If you want to be like supermodel Christie Brinkley who looks half her age of 56, you need to start taking measures instantly before you head outdoors for another summer weekend.
Here’s new creams and strategies that work, according to top NYC dermatologist, Dr. Bruce Katz.
- THE MOST IMPORTANT AGE-PROOF STRATEGY: – stay out of the sun & when you can’t, then wear the right sunscreen ALL THE TIME!
- Wear an SPF of 30 or over: it will be effective as long as it contains one of these three ingredients — avobenzone, zinc oxide or titanium oxide.
- TRY ONE OF THE NEW COSMECEUTICAL CREAMS – that has been shown to rejuvenate skin, slow down the aging of skin or stimulate the production of collagen — which plumps up your skin.
- Dr. Katz recommends using Prevage Anti-Aging Treatment in the am, and NEOCUTIS Hyalis Bio-Restorative Skin Cream before you go to bed.
- Prevage Anti-Aging Treatment: This skin cream contains idebenones — which are anti-oxidents and have been shown to have more anti-oxident activity than vitamin C. Anti-oxidents protect and repair skin cells from being damaged by environmental factors like UV rays, as you age, according to Tony Vargas, vice president , research and development at Elizabeth Arden.as you age.
- NEOCUTIS: This new cream contains skin cell proteins, which are “growth factors,” that will slow down the aging of your skin cells and stimulate new collagen production. Collagen actually plumps up your skin, making it look fresher and younger.
Dr. Katz recommends using BOTH creams to get the benefit of the two different effects- you can attack the anti-aging process with both growth factors and anti-oxidents. “There is definitely improvement when women use these products — they will see smoother textured skin, dark areas of the skin will be lightened , age spots will be reduced and the whole face will look fresher; but you will have to use them for several months, to get the full effect ,he explains.
So when should you start to focus on keeping your skin looking 25?
If you can see signs of sun damage in your 20′s -fine lines, freckling — then start now. Otherwise you can wait until your 30′s and use the creams as a preventative measure.
- LESS EXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE CREAMS: Both Prevage and NEOCUTIS are a little pricey so Dr. Katz recommends trying a Vitamin C cream. He suggests SkinCeuticals, as a brand to try.
- TO HIDE ANNOYING EXISTING LINES: Try Estée Lauder’s roll-on skin wrinkle eraser, Perfectionist [CP+] Deep Wrinkle Filler, $39.50. You roll it on under your makeup or you can use it to touch up during the day.
Finally, if you need to bring in heavier artillery, consider a series of professional laser treatments- ask for the SmartSkin CO2. Word has it that laser treatments can eliminate the need for any woman to ever want a facelift.
In the meantime, slather up with sunscreen, BFFs!