'IDOL' BEHIND-THE-SCENES: It's Over! Crystal Lost & Says She Knew Lee Would Win!

Thu, May 27, 2010 11:30am EDT by 14 Comments

Courtesy of Fox

Courtesy of Fox

Mama Sox was robbed last night – but even she had a feeling that her ‘musical crush’ Lee DeWyze was going to walk away with the top prize this season on American Idol

I am beyond disappointed by the American Idol season finale May 26, if only for the reason that my girl Crystal Bowersox lost by a 2% margin. TWO PERCENT. Highway robbery! That said, I suspected all along that Lee DeWyze might steal her glory and apparently, so did she.

“I knew Lee was going to win,” the 24-year-old Elliston, Ohio native confided post-show. She didn’t seem upset and explained that, throughout this whole experience, her attitude has always been laid-back and laissez-faire. Whatever will be, will be.

“I learned a lot about myself,” she continued. “I feel like I won because Lee won, and I respect him as an artist.”

AMAZING attitude, don’t you think?

Mama Sox totally rocked onstage last night as well. The joy on her face while performing “You Oughtta Know” with Alanis Morissette was evident and she was downright sexy while warbling Christina Aguilera’s “Fighter” with top five girls Katie Stevens, Didi Benami, Siobhan Magnus, Paige Miles and Lacey Brown.

Still, no matter how awesome Crystal was, how much more stage presence she had, votes were still in Lee’s favor. So I have three words for you, America: Al, Gore, Florida. ‘Nuff said.

Crystal, you will always be MY number one Idol!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

Shelby Dewyze

Posted at 8:24 PM on June 6, 2010

Why is everyone say Crystal should have won? Lee deserved it and Crystal is Great you have to admit..but Lee has a newer and younger style of music ! GO LEE I LOVE YOU! I love his albums “Slumberland” and “So im told” I would encourage everyone to buy them ! I wish I could marry him! Or atleast meet him ! He seems like a really nice and down to earth , honest guy and thats what I love most about him! BeLEEve!

Im your biggest fan LEE I LOVE YOU!

mimi

Posted at 3:16 PM on May 29, 2010

they both won in a way, they will both do very fine…..the reason why Lee got the titel was because of 8 – 14 year old girls?????..wait a minute I woted ….I am not in that agegroup ha-ha-ha-ha, very funny!

KenoG

Posted at 4:45 PM on May 27, 2010

The reason Lee won was because of who votes, 8 to 14 year old little girls.
You think they are going to vote for a girl, I dont think so.

Shelby Dewyze

Posted at 8:27 PM on June 6, 2010

Thats soooo not true ! My grandma voted for him!

Paula

Posted at 3:53 PM on May 27, 2010

First, about the final Idol show itself: I rate it a C+–
Highlights: Bret Michaels, Carrie Underwood, Alanis Morrisette duet with Crystal, Joe Cocker with Crystal and Lee, and the best- Paula Abdul.
Low Low lights: Chicago(guys: you HAVE to retire- I went and left the room to snack on frozen malted milk duds ‘cuz I was way too pained to listen to your set)– what gives with Janet Jackson? Was this a commercial for her new album? Is she such a big diva that she warranted two numbers?
As to the winner: Laura, I re-read your original post about your predictions that Lee would win– you were spot on!– when Idol fandom votes- and if they have a choice, they will go with the mainstream, “girl or boy next door” contestant. Though Chris Allen was great last night, he couldn’t hold a candle to Adam– Lee was the shy guy in a schlubbie job- Crystal was a single Mom with funky clothes – I am not surprised after last year that Lee won. I wish him well but how many will buy his first CD?- Will we remember his uniqueness years down the road? I think not.

scarla

Posted at 5:31 PM on May 27, 2010

Paula,
I’m not surprised after last year that Lee won either, but if Kris Allen can’t hold a candle to Adam Lambert, then Lee DeWyze can’t hold a candle to Kris Allen. Tween girls were led down the Idol Winner Highway by the judges..the judges couldn’t have backed Lee any more aggressively than they did. Why? They needed to make a contest out of the marginal top 24 they had picked. Lee has a nice tone to his voice and he seems like a nice boy (sort of pathetic), but his awkwardness is way more than shyness and his singing is flat/out-of-tune/off key/away from the melody. Not the best combination for the winner of a singing competition or a successful star.
Highlights: Crystal and Alanis; Crystal and Joe Cocker; Casey and Bret Michaels; the producers ‘turning’ off Lee’s mic; and the fact that a bad Season 9 is over !

gbtw

Posted at 7:19 PM on May 27, 2010

lol… i don’t mind that lee won b/c i know crystal will be just fine, and it’s clear to everyone that she’s the better ARTIST and vocalist. she’s just not the most popular style (and, she’s not a boy). she’ll have a successful career, regardless. what i was most laughing about was that even tho i came to like lee all right- off key or not- i CANNOT listen to him talk! i didn’t even know they shut off his mic b/c i fast forwarded through his entire acceptance “speech”. lol… maybe that’s why i don’t mind him. i started fast-forwarding through all of his talking parts WEEKS ago. re your comments on the highlights- totally agree! crystal on anything was a highlight. she just NAILED in demeanor and stage presence the last two nights of the season. she was the star, and i’m so glad that the boy cut ties before that final show so that she could start her new life with a clean slate. casey and bret nearly brought me to tears it was so great (to see the mutual respect, casey’s ease and pleasure on the guitar, and bret doing just fine in spite of his recent health scare). and, last but not least, paula’s watery-eyed “to sir with love,” complete with hand-gestured heart shape, and the look on simon’s face.

Flamechick

Posted at 10:02 AM on May 27, 2010

I’ve been a Mama Sox fan from the start.
Isn’t it better she came in second? She’ll maintain way more creative control over her career. If you win, you’re first album is what the Idol machine wants it to be. Can you imagine Crystal doing car commercials? This season we only heard 10 seconds of her original music. At least now we’ll get to hear a lot more.

Christie

Posted at 10:07 AM on May 27, 2010

Soo true. It seems like all second-placers become more successful than the actual winners. What even happened to last season’s winner? The only successful Idol winners I can think of are Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson. She’s going to turn out a lot better than Lee will.

scarla

Posted at 9:02 AM on May 27, 2010

‘Nuff said’….lol..you’re right Laura.
I really think the future Idol should be renamed…I doubt it will have the X-factor…I’m thinking AUTO-TUNE-TWEEN IDOL might work. 100,000 auditions and the winner can’t sing in tune and has zero charisma, but he is cute and pathetic.
Anyway, Crystal ROCKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celeste

Posted at 8:54 AM on May 27, 2010

She’s so humble and lovely. America just didn’t like her because she’s not a ‘cute’ boy (a stretch) and had hippy dreads and weird teeth. NOT COOL.

Aaron

Posted at 8:50 AM on May 27, 2010

Agreed, Laura. She should have won.

Kel

Posted at 8:42 AM on May 27, 2010

Really? REALLY? Who the heck let Lee win? Mister 0 personality and my voice is OK but not awesome. Yeah. This show is going down the tubes.

Consuelo Bernardi

Posted at 8:25 AM on May 27, 2010

If Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry has shown us….you don’t need the title to be successful. Cystal will do fine without the Ryan Seacrest announced crowning glory. The girl has fierce talent…her moment will come with long term longevity in the music biz.
When they paraded out all the winners for that gawd awful musical tribute number to Simon…the only two that jumped out were Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. That’s not saying much for the ‘winners’….and I’ve watched every season ;)

But if you could explain Janet Jackson’s sudden man voice when singing that would be fab – now that really bothered me.

With that said I have a musical crush on Lee. I heart him I do.