Listen Up, Lee DeWyze! Do NOT Make U2's 'Beautiful Day' Your First Single!

Wed, May 26, 2010 12:48pm EDT by 9 Comments
Listen Up, Lee DeWyze! Do NOT Make U2's 'Beautiful Day' Your First Single!
Loading video...

This season of American Idol was bad enough! Do we have to end it with yet another blunder?

When Ryan Seacrest announced that Lee DeWyze‘s first single (if he wins tonight) will be U2‘s “Beautiful Day,” my jaw hit the floor — and my disgust only grew stronger after hearing Lee perform it. In the past, Idol winners have released an original song as their first single, one written specifically for them. And while they’re historically pretty cheesy (last year’s “No Boundaries” was especially cheese-tastic) at least they were original. Just so we’re clear, the world does NOT need a cover of “Beautiful Day,” especially this soon… and especially this bad.

Now, don’t get me wrong — I understand the show’s reasoning behind this decision. Covers performed by the Idol contestants throughout the competition consistently sell well on iTunes, whereas the previous “winning” songs like “No Boundaries” weren’t exactly radio hits. But the whole point of crowning an Idol winner is to introduce the world to a new artist… NOT another karaoke performer.

Crystal Bowersox‘s cover of Patty Griffin‘s “Up to the Mountain” may not be as commercial as U2’s “Beautiful Day,” but at least it’s older and less recognizable! Why mess with a good song?

What do you think, readers? Are you also outraged that Idol would consider releasing “Beautiful Day” as Lee’s first single, or am I wearing my crazy pants today? Sound off with your comments below!

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

daas

Posted at 4:07 PM on May 30, 2010

i really hope this doesnt make it on to the radio. U2’s beautiful day is still regularly played on the radio and i enjoy it everytime it comes on.

Louie

Posted at 2:58 PM on May 30, 2010

O.K. why are judges on American Idol? If they do not judge why are they there?

I think this whole American Idol is a fixed up money making

production. To think that Lee was allowed to sing a song
from our Saint U-2 and the fact that he screwed it up so much
added his own words.

Does anyone know what this song is about? U-2 Songs are about Environmental, Spiritual and Life and Lee took this
song away from that.

It was so hard for me to play my U-2 verison of the song after hearing Lee’s.
He cannot talk and has no personal or able to hold a conversation. Did anyone see him on Ellen, Crystal sang first and he say his copy of Halejah (sp) so his voice is going and without proper voice he will strain his voice like all the others.

Its just a complete joke and I will never watch the show again.

Crystal by far was better and if everyone knows that why did she not win?

Question Fox and Seacrest and Producers of the show its off

my Tivo!!!!!!

A total discuss to U-2 fans all over the world.

Fox for allowing a nut like Lee to sing this song!

nacy

Posted at 2:52 PM on May 30, 2010

No one should sing U-2 except U-2

Wrong song

Wrong winner

Once again he will go back to his paint store and paint his town red.

He will not make it in the music world, to many like him and his voice is horrible.

He will become another Chris Allen doing Ford commericals

PN

Posted at 2:24 PM on May 28, 2010

I like Lee DeWyze’s version of Beautiful Day. Although it doesn’t match Bono’s soaring vocals on U2’s song, I think he does a good job on it. I want to hear the whole song if it comes out versus the 1 1/2 minutes that I heard on TV. Maybe Lee’s a die hard U2 fan and really wanted to sing it.

Jen

Posted at 10:19 PM on May 26, 2010

He sounds terrible singing this song. I guess I am biased because U2 is my favorite band, but still, it is not a good version at all. He should have an original song.

Laura Schreffler

Posted at 2:35 PM on May 26, 2010

I’m with you, Andy. He’s got a good voice – but how can you compare with U2?

bob

Posted at 8:30 PM on May 26, 2010

This Lee doosh_bag is not a good singer. I would not even say he is a singer, that’s how bad he is at singing. It’s like, would you call yourself a painter, if, one time, when you were three, you authored a fabulous watercolor portrait of your cuter-than-she-should-have-been kindergarten teacher? I did not watch the show this season. This guy is in the top 2? That’s outrageous. It’s an effing fraud on the american public. This guy cannot sing, plain and simple. He is completely tone deaf. He should not be allowed to release an album, for the sake of all humanity. If he releases an album with this song on it, I fear the apocalypse will be upon us.

Joella

Posted at 2:30 PM on May 26, 2010

You are so right!! It’s bad enough that Idol producers copped out and had the finalists do cover songs instead of originals for their 1st singles, but then Lee had to go and totally murder a great U2 song! He really sounded awful on it! And also, as a long-time U2 fan, I’m a bit disappointed in U2 for selling out and allowing one of their hits to be done as a bad karaoke performance on the WOSRST SEASON EVER of this cheesy reality show!

Either way, based soley on talent, Crystal definitely deserves to win this. Lee seems like a nice guy, but Crystal’s voice is MUCH better!!

mygraineboy

Posted at 1:14 PM on May 26, 2010

my jaw dropped too. and Lee really murdered it. maybe the surprise is when he releases it, it’ll be amazing by then. just think iphone prototypes left at the bar knowing that the real thing will be AMAZING when released in it’s good time.