'Lost' Series Finale: 'The End' Was An Epic Ending To One Of The Most Brilliant Shows On TV

Mon, May 24, 2010 11:45am EDT by 10 Comments
'Lost' Series Finale: 'The End' Was An Epic Ending To One Of The Most Brilliant Shows On TV
Splashnews.com, Getty Image

Splashnews.com, Getty Image

The Lost series finale was brilliant – bittersweet, touching and, true to the show’s form, just as confusing as ever.

The last-ever episode of Lost was truly epic. Not only do we discover what the parallel world is, but we’re also reunited with all our favorite, deceased characters. We see the light – and so does the cast.

Confused? Let me clarify. If you’re a Lost fanatic, you’ll know all about the show’s parallel world – where certain cast members are still alive and living a normal existence off the island. As it turns out, in that sideways world, the characters are actually dead – and Jack (Matthew Fox), the series’ protagonist, is the last to realize it.

This all goes down, of course, after Jack, with the help of Hurley (Jorge Garcia) and Ben (MIchael Emerson), saves the island and Kate (Evangeline Lily) kills the evil smoke monster (Terry O’Quinn). Hurrah, the island has been saved! But at so much cost — meaning, the lives of mostly every single cast member. Those who escape the island include Kate, Sawyer (Josh Holloway), Claire (Emile de Ravin) and Frank (Jeff Fahey). Jack leaves Hurley in charge of the island, saying it was his job all along.

But let’s get back to the emotion. Those who have loved and lost each other (being killed off at various stages over the past six seasons) were reunited. With just one touch, all their memories of being in love on the island flashed before their eyes. Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) and Sun (Yunjin Kim), Claire and Charlie (Dominic Monaghan), Juliet (Eizabeth Mitchell) and Sawyer, Shannon (Maggie Grace) and Sayid (Naveen Andrews) all remember each other as if they had never been apart. It was incredibly touching, and so romantic. I may have cried a few times. Just saying.

The final scene was the most amazing. All the characters assemble in church, where Jack finally realizes what’s happened to him when he sees his deceased father, Christian (John Terry). There are tears, but Jack knows he’s finally ready to “see the light.” It was the perfect ending to an amazing series. Lost, I miss you already. Thanks for ending on search a perfect, if bittersweet, note.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

skallian

Posted at 5:13 PM on May 25, 2010

This is what i think:

Paula

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 24, 2010

I think the writers wanted that “emotional” ending that would leave viewers feeling mostly satisfied– I wasn’t even remotely satisfied- and not just because it wasn’t all neatly tidied up with no loose endings. In viewing all seasons of Lost the writers created a series that was unique amongst similar series of this genre – therefore, I was disappointed that the ending did not have the magic, creativity and mystery that made Lost the amazing TV series that it was. Lost was like an epic novel to me– can’t wait for the next chapter and don’t want this story to end!- But the finale fell flat for me; I wanted something more. That being said, I did like how the “Islanders” were in essence a community: sacrifice, faith, commitment all being sustained, important components throughout the series and carrying these to the end.

scarla

Posted at 6:11 PM on May 24, 2010

I see your point, but I think the writers (maybe for lack of any other solution) found their way back to what WAS “magical, creative and mysterious”. A number of really flawed human beings found love and redemption on that island and in doing so were free to move on to a beautiful afterlife.
There’s no denying the religious overtones that were always there. I thought the finale was mostly touching…what ‘more’ could there have been that was more important?

Jessie

Posted at 12:26 PM on May 24, 2010

Laura I think you need to explain what happened to Bonnie. She seems a bit ‘lost’

Jessie

Posted at 12:23 PM on May 24, 2010

Laura I think you need to explain what happened to Amanda. She seems a bit ‘lost’

mar

Posted at 11:05 AM on May 24, 2010

Their was NO Finale this was lame! Such a disappointment

scarla

Posted at 8:29 AM on May 24, 2010

It was a sentimental and bittersweet ending. We’d come to care about all the central characters…. and their stories were resolved with a huge leap of faith in the end.
No props to the writers though with their, “What shall we do next season… throw it out there and hope it sticks story lines…temples….time travel…” Did they answer all the questions they had fans convinced were so important? NO.
Did all those extraneous subplots mean anything? Doesn’t look that way.

stef

Posted at 8:14 AM on May 24, 2010

I loved it. Yes, I did need to go to some entertainment sites and get some help explaining the ending…but I loved it. Everything was all wrapped up nice and neat although I still have no clue what Sawyer told Kate before he jumped out of the helicopter a few seasons ago. I am confused about something…when Jack actually died on the island was his death immediately following the plane crash? Did he die from plane crash injuries or die because of the fight with Flocke? Thank God Vincent was back!

lostnick

Posted at 3:41 PM on May 25, 2010

you clearly didn’t pay hard enough attention to the show, or u just didn’t bother to watch the older seasons. They did explain what sawyer told kate on the chopper, was to give money to his daughter…which was explained straightforward a couple seasons back, and wow if you didn’t realize that jack obviously died from the knife wound caused by Locke/MIB then i feel sorry for you. The events on the island happened. The flash sideways was jacks afterlife when he died in the middle of the bamboo with vincent layin beside him….

todders

Posted at 3:10 AM on May 24, 2010

If you need a pick-me-up after the finale, check out this EPIC LOST parody: http://www.digitalfuntown.com/videos/184