Is Kelly Preston's Pregnancy Risky?

Thu, May 20, 2010 7:29pm EST by 13 Comments

051810_johntravolta_kellypreston_544

Doctors say that pregnancy over the age of 35 may not be safe — and that Kelly’s child could potentially have Down syndrome!

We’re so happy to hear that Kelly Preston and John Travolta are expecting again, but considering that Kelly is 47, she needs to consider the health risks of pregnancy at her age!

“Women past the age of 35 may have increased risk of Down syndrome,”  Dr. Rashmi Gulati, medical director of Patients Medical, tells PopEater‘s Rob Shuter. “About 1 in 100 for women in their 40s compared to 1 in 1,400 for women in their 20s.”

He adds, “Older moms-to-be may also have increased risk of health problems such as gestational diabetes and high blood pressure.  But the good news is that now, more than ever, we have the scientific technology and research data to be able to support pregnant women of any age. All women should work with their doctor or midwife to ensure they are getting the prenatal care that supports both mother and fetus at any age.”

Both Kelly and John, 56, are aware of the risks but are too happy with their good fortune to think negatively at the moment.  “Both John and Kelly are aware of the risk and will do everything in their power to diminish them. However, at the moment all they are focusing on is the wonderful news,” a source close to the couple tells Rob.

John and Kelly just want to enjoy the happy news and after the tragedy of losing their autistic 16-year-old  son Jett to a seizure back in 2009 during a vacation in the Bahamas, a surprise pregnancy is just what the couple needs to be happy again!

We wish Kelly the best of luck through this pregnancy!

- Lindsey DiMattina

Get The Scoop from Our BFF’s at Limelife

1. Will Susan Boyle Guest Star  on ‘Glee’?
  2. Jonas Brothers Got Trapped in an Elevator
  3. Jesse James in Austin, May Move There For Sandra Bullock
  4. Courtney Love: I Had Sex With Kate Moss

jessica Hoang Nguyen

Posted at 12:51 AM on October 9, 2010

I am 35 years old woman.I had my child this year..My doctor did tell me it is dangerous for a woman over 35 years old to get pregnant especially age 40 and above.I am fan of John.I wish them luck.It is so sad to hear that their son Jett died.What’s a tragedy event? i know if you over certain ages you will have Down syndrome and this is why they test me any test and tell me i have many risks. I have my first child with higher risks than second one and i was only 32 years old..I am glad all my kids are okay and healthy.I was thinking having my last one next year..I hope that my daughter will be okay as well..

jessica Hoang Nguyen

Posted at 12:52 AM on October 9, 2010

they test me many test

Leelee

Posted at 7:00 PM on August 9, 2010

I am happy for them an there has been ppl who are older having kids that are fine an healthy it not offen that u see older ppl havin babys but its not the first time either i hope shes healthy an the baby is to an she seams like a healthy person anyway i am sure she will be fine an congrats to you both i hope u are very happy an have a beautiful healthy baby

Kelly Preston Fan

Posted at 3:49 PM on June 20, 2010

Congradulations to John and Kelly.This is what they need after loosing Jett. And it doesn’t matter what doctors say because unless God wants something to happen it will not happen. All things have a purpose so God can bring Kelly through this safley. I am keeping her in my prayers. Love You Guys. Congratultios again!<3

I'm also an older mom

Posted at 8:41 PM on June 19, 2010

Re: anon.

Can YOU say “jealous”?

NYC

Posted at 12:01 AM on June 14, 2010

It is well known in NY and Los Angeles that John Travolta is gay. The entertainment media should be ashamed of themselves for playing along by reporting the happily married couple nonsense when they know full well that John and Kelly don’t even sleep in the same bedroom and that their marriage is a sham.

Personally, I don’t give a damn about John’s sexuality, but I do care that the entertainment media is deceiving the public, playing along with their sham marriage. Should the entertainment media out John? Absolutely not. But at the same time, they shouldn’t proactively write all these articles about the “happy marriage”, “happy couple”, etc. These publications have no journalistic integrity and should be ashamed.

syl

Posted at 11:26 AM on May 31, 2010

I wish them all the best

andrea m.

Posted at 6:44 AM on May 27, 2010

Considering everything they have been through, I think it is especially exciting. Yes, there is a higher risk there, but women in their 70’s are having babies still (saw on tv the other night). I think it will finally help them be able to heal and move on with their lifes.

Congrats- John and Kelly

Anon

Posted at 12:41 AM on May 25, 2010

Can you say donor egg?

I'm also an older mom

Posted at 8:39 PM on June 19, 2010

“Donor egg”, eh, anon?
Can YOU say “jealous”?

Tammie

Posted at 9:22 AM on May 21, 2010

John & Kelly have their (main) home in a fairly small town in Florida of which I am a native. Since they originally bought propery & began construction, they have been very “community friendly”. They have had fundraisers & movie premiers here to raise money & involve themselves in the community. John is occasionally seen at a grocery store or restaurant, acting just like any other husband or Dad. They seem to be very giving & grounded people, not your typical “Hollywood celebrity” types! We were all crushed when they lost Jett & I think this pregnancy is a gift from God! I’m very happy for them!!

sdcfds

Posted at 1:23 PM on May 27, 2010

A gift from the same God they have refused to believe in?

Elizabeth Cuff

Posted at 12:03 AM on May 21, 2010

Risky?? I had my first child at 37- Risky-tests. I had my second child at 39- Risky-tests. And at 47 years I found out I was pregnant-Risky-tests. All three were perfect and natural births. You are a healthy, young looking and feeling woman. All will be good. Congratulations!!.. I am 53 and my son youngest is 6 years old tomorrow.