Lee DeWyze Killed It Last Night — But Heaven Help Us If He’s The Next ‘American Idol’!

Wed, May 19, 2010 12:45pm EDT by 22 Comments
Loading video...

During an evening of lackluster performances, Lee was definitely the best — but he better not take the Idol crown away from Crystal Bowersox!

Typically during American Idol performance night, I pay attention to little else. But when the top three attempted to sing their hearts out May 18, I found myself folding laundry, dusting my picture frames and downloading music — I was bored.

I’m disappointed to say that the night wasn’t good for me, dawgs, especially because Lee DeWyze was the best of a bad lot and I am sick to death of the judges telling him how great he is! His rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” was OK, but you would have thought he was the next Chris Daughtry by the way everyone raved over his junk.

And although his rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” (Simon Cowell’s pick) may have been utterly amazing live, it didn’t translate well for me on TV. Leave Leonard to Jeff Buckley or even season seven’s Jason Castro, please, Lee. I’m sure you’ll all disagree with me about the quality of his performance, but I bet you WILL agree that the 24-year-old’s performance may have just clinched him the Idol title, and at the very least a sure placement in the top two.

As for Crystal Bowersox, I am SO disappointed! She didn’t bring the heat this week. Yes, I love that she chose to do Melissa Etheridge, especially as that’s her musical doppelganger, but her version of “Come To My Window” was pitchy, as was Ellen DeGeneres’ choice, Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed.”

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget Casey James (who could?). As predicted, his version of John Mayer’s sappy crappy hit, “Daughters”, did my head in — but blame Kara DioGuardi and Randy Jackson for that stupid song selection. For his own choice, he should have taken his southern rocker roots and jammed out to something like “Sweet Home Alabama” instead of picking a virtually unknown song, Eric Hutchinson’s “OK It’s All Right With Me” on such a huge night. Lazy!

Overall, I’m not just disgruntled by the top three’s performances, but I’m depressed with this season in general! Where are the TRUE artists, America?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

Do you think Ashley Greene is hotter than …  (Starpulse)

The minute you talk superhero movies … (Moviefone)

Check out these horrible celeb pet deaths! (The Frisky)

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

mimi

Posted at 11:28 AM on May 20, 2010

LEE = next American Idol….

Joe

Posted at 10:44 AM on May 20, 2010

Well, since Lee is so damn great, he doesn’t really need our votes.

Paula

Posted at 6:32 PM on May 19, 2010

All I can say after last night’s performances was boring, boring, boring- a total snoozefest– Simon, shame on you!– this is your last call on Idol– couldn’t you leave with some dignity? blessing Lee on his first performance was transparently fake– although Lee did much better on the second song- Jason Castro did SO much better and gave the song the solemnity it deserves. Crappy season all around- and no one IMHO has come close to the charisma and talent of Adam Lambert

gbtw

Posted at 2:02 PM on May 20, 2010

nobody will ever compare to adam except liberace. he’s just a different genre. i was an adam fan during the idol season (not sure about now), but it’s unfair to compare anybody to him. he’s got a fantastic voice (along with many others), is a melodramatic “broadway” musical performer (not common for idol), etc. it doesn’t mean somebody with a softer personality and different style isn’t just as good. they’re just different. that said, i am not saying this season was the best, by any stretch of the imagination… and that ‘finale’ was awful except for 2.5 songs, in my opinion. 3.5 songs were completely unacceptable at that stage of the game. (like laura, i was bored by hallelujah- but i’m splitting it in the good and bad column.)

scarla

Posted at 3:38 PM on May 19, 2010

I’m with you on this one completely Laura. Simon and co. were so desperate to create a BIG IDOL MOMENT…what we got was 60 boring minutes. Casey had given up…Crystal lost her ‘mojo’ with all the Lee pimping…and Lee not only got rewarded for singing out-of-tune, but got Idol praise for ‘personality’ by Simon the Hypocrite. The poor, dumb shlub can’t even string 6 words together fluently.
Yes, Lee won the night with a little help from his friends at Fox, but I think American Idol loses anyway.

Lali

Posted at 10:27 PM on May 21, 2010

Scarla,
you are meanest viewer ever ! Crystal’s “Maybe I’m Aamazed” was pretty good, and Lee’s ” Simple Man” was great ! He is an amazing artist and has appealing personality.If you are so demn smart and manage to put 6 words together, than why don’t you compete for the finale instead of Lee ???!

linda

Posted at 3:21 PM on May 19, 2010

Oh little Laura, how can he not be after last night’s performance! I mean I have been a huge Crystal supporter form the beginning but I actually thought that last night Crystal sounded her worst and not that she was bad but her voice sounded strained to me and just not as powerful as usual. It would be a major letdown for Idol I think if Lee didn’t win. Unless he loses his voice or hits puiberty, I think Lett will win.
I wish Crystal would have sung a better Melissa Ehteridge song too like, Bring Me Some Water. Oh well. ( I would love Crystal to win though)
Casey.. Bye Bye!! And still Jeff Buckley did it best…

scarla

Posted at 3:53 PM on May 19, 2010

Jeff Buckley may have done it best, but Jason Castro wins the American Idol best version. As Simon proudly told us last night, “the song’s been done before but never like Lee’s gonna do it.” You can say that again Simon….but the full orchestra and gospel choir wasn’t enough to save it for me.

gbtw

Posted at 3:09 PM on May 19, 2010

sadly, our paths must’ve parted awhile back laura… :( lee continues to get better and deserves praise. (though they all still need serious pr practice for their interviews and on stage rhetoric with ryan.. ugh- bad. all of them.) sometimes, i don’t get how much praise he gets, but he does deserve some of it, all of the time. i thought his simple man rendition was arguably the best performance of the night. he was SO connected to that, and i liked that it was an oldie that he made current. i believe i used the word “aghast” to describe yesterday my thoughts about ellen’s pick for crystal, however, i thought that ‘maybe i’m amazed’ performance was also fantastic. right there w/simple man, tied, ahead, behind, not sure— both were amazing. hallelujah, eh. i’m with you on that. it was fine. no, it was good. but, it paled in comparison to those two other performances, in my opinion. i was extremely disappointed in crystal’s ethridge performance. we all would’ve expected her to nail that and she absolutely did not. i thought they were being nice to her not to shred her on that- and respect that they were generally easy on everyone hopefully out of fear of affecting the vote unfairly. in any case, her ethridge performance was awful. casey just isn’t in crystal and lee’s league. this is not a surprise to me, and i still like his voice and have a little crush- but, he can’t compare to the other two. he belongs in a band, really, not as a front man- right? is there an opening in a band that one of these idol people have started? his voice just isn’t killer- good, but not killer. and, as for who wins as btwn crystal and lee (i’m not even going to entertain the idea that casey can be there), who cares? it’s truly set up so that the top two are really both the winners. it doesn’t matter which one has the official title to me.

Kevin

Posted at 3:04 PM on May 19, 2010

I hope Lee wins. That yellow teeth hillbilly Crystal better not win!

gbtw

Posted at 3:11 PM on May 19, 2010

her teeth are yellowish, but, frankly, you sound like more of a hill billy than she could ever be- for focusing on the color of her teeth with everything else she is bringing to the table.

melina

Posted at 2:42 PM on May 19, 2010

I so agree with you Laura – JASON CASTRO DID IT BEST! and that is all to it! Beautiful rendition by Jason! and for those who love his Hallelujah go purchase his new album “beautiful songs from start to finish!

Karen

Posted at 2:41 PM on May 19, 2010

Team Lee!

It was an overall disappointing top three night though, gotta agree with you on that one. :/

ac

Posted at 2:26 PM on May 19, 2010

Ok as a musician I personally cannot stand Dewyze. He has NO RANGE. Every song songs exactly the same. Hallelujah is a GREAT song and envokes an emotional response unlike many other songs. But his version was one of the weaker ones. Also how is it fair for him to have a freaking gospel choir in the background.

Crystal is by far the most talented singer and performer. I didn’t find her pitchy on Ethridges song but I found the arrangement to be odd.

Lee is generic and boring and I’d guess most actual musicians would agree.

Simple man is one of the easiest songs (and again envokes emotion) to sing. You can find 1000 people in bars across the country singing it every night.

Ugh Lee stinks. Of course my wife loves him but she isn’t a musician (she does have good taste in music though)

gbtw

Posted at 3:17 PM on May 19, 2010

lol… let me guess, your wife likes your music? lol… in any case, i generally am on board with your thoughts on this. i don’t think i’d be so harsh on lee, and i have come to really enjoy his performances. but, as for his range, i can’t argue with you. but, his ability to connect with a song, and show that to an audience, is something not to be taken lightly. also, if you watched the whole season- to see where he started, and where he ended up- one can only envision how much better he is capable of getting with the right help, coaching, etc. he is very ‘coachable’ which is a big deal. somebody like big mike who has everything going for him- looks, voice, stage presence- but is totally uncoachable and arrogant. look how far he got. he didn’t improve, was never humble, and people don’t like that. lee is very likable.

Bart

Posted at 2:01 PM on May 19, 2010

Crystal Bowersox has been consistent all season long. She will win out!

Lee, only recently has been coming on strong. The judges are definitely trying to throw their support behind him (so that Crystal doesn’t seem like the clear, definitive winner).

Casey did well earlier on in the season, but lately his voice sounds the same on every song he does. He just doesn’t have much range in his voice.

galey

Posted at 2:30 PM on May 19, 2010

C’mon….Crystal has been consistently the same and boring and her attitude on air sucks. Lee on the other hand has grown and loosened up and rocked it last night and that’s what Idol is all about.

gbtw

Posted at 4:13 PM on May 20, 2010

i love crystal, but as with all of them, they do not present well when they are exchanging banter with ryan. lee is the worst offender, and comes across as extremely inarticulate. actually, casey is all right, i guess. he just doesn’t bother pandering to anyone, nor seem like he cares to talk much. i agree that crystal can come off as snotty, even though i don’t believe she truly is. as for her being consistent every week, yah, consistently GREAT! (with a couple of just okay moments thrown in.) i don’t think crystal is boring at all. it just depends what your style is. i almost never find her boring, and was utterly moved by her rendition of ‘maybe i’m amazed’, a song and original performer of which i am not a fan. long story short— i can see being bored by crystal if you don’t like her style, but that is all subjective. she was no more stuck in a style than any of them were, and her being “the same” every week is just that she came into the show much more advanced AS AN ARTIST (knowing who she was, being comfortable on stage) than many of them. people like lee more, some people, b/c they got sucked into the fun of watching how much he improved. i don’t judge them for that- it was fun to watch. but, i think people are confusing his improvements with his actual abilities sometimes. don’t get me wrong. i like him. enjoy him. won’t mind if he beats crystal even though she’s my favorite, etc. but, people are a little blinded by his climb, in my opinion.

Mike

Posted at 12:47 PM on May 19, 2010

“Hallelujah” for Lee Dewyze – I think we can say that was the performance of the season. It gave me shivers like Carrie Underwood’s “Alone” or David Cook’s “Always Be My Baby” – one of those rare “season moments.” It truly made me feel like this season has started to materialize (it only took 5 months). With the finale looking more than ever like a Lee-Crystal duel, could a Casey upset be waiting in the wings? Is the “cougar vote” that powerful?

Bonnie

Posted at 12:35 PM on May 19, 2010

Oh c’mon, Lee rocked it last night and would make a great AI winner! He reminds me of Bruce Springstein, I just love him. I do agree that this years AI has been the lamest, but Lee has made it worth watching. Casy should have been gone weeks ago, no doubt his long blond locks have kept him in the competition.

mimi

Posted at 12:09 PM on May 19, 2010

Heaven help us??????? what is that???…everybody had a chance last night, and Casey and Crystal no no no.(and they knew it)..they did not make the cut …but Lee did….absolutely he nailed it…no doubt about is!!!!!!!!!!!!contrats Lee you are the next American Idol for sure….

galey

Posted at 11:49 AM on May 19, 2010

Well, that’s just your opinion Laura cause a lot of us are rooting for Lee and whether you like it or not he was the only one last night that KILLED both songs – Crystal was good on the McCartney song but hopefully she won’t win the “big” title!!!!!